No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link to Mountain West Conference Realignment considerations. http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/7/...administrators

Parallel ranked criteria:

Ranking Factor
    1. Team Travel
    2. Academic Prestige
    3. Revenue
    4. Market
    5. Athletic Prestige
    6. Competitive Balance

Comment

• Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet. Big 12 confirmed that they are looking into expansion. 2 or possibly 4 teams. Could open the door for WSU to move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet. Big 12 confirmed that they are looking into expansion. 2 or possibly 4 teams. Could open the door for WSU to move.
        They'll bring in Cinci and Memphis opening the door for WSU to move into the MVC v.2.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          They'll bring in Cinci and Memphis opening the door for WSU to move into the MVC v.2.
          I would be mildly shocked if BYU isn't one of the two or four schools. But I have been mildly shocked in realignment before.

The Big XII is such a train wreck with Bowlsby and the whole thing. Watch them add UNLV and Tulane because Texas wants to have an excuse to visit Las Vegas and New Orleans more often.

Returning to seriousness...UConn is pretty underrated. They are growing and could be a good add. Cougar High (UH) would be solid too but I think the release by the Big XII mentioned something about academics so they are probably out.

Comment

• I concur that if the B12 expands, they'll bring in Cinci and Memphis. BYU has a time zone problem for TV ratings and media coverage.

If that happens then it's getting tough to find a conference that's clearly better than the Valley. The amount of "better than the Valley" has to be relative to additonal travel costs, and I don't think that exists.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet. Big 12 confirmed that they are looking into expansion. 2 or possibly 4 teams. Could open the door for WSU to move.
              David Boren, chairman of the Big 12 board of directors, said conference expansion by both two schools and four schools will be on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                Cougar High (UH) would be solid too but I think the release by the Big XII mentioned something about academics so they are probably out.
                Cougar High, really? You may want to check that coming from SWOMO. They may not be at the academic ranking level of some of the BigXII-II, but they probably are at the KSU ISU TT level.

Sincerly - University named after a city in Big X seeking II country graduate

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Gorilla View Post
                  Cougar High, really? You may want to check that coming from SWOMO. They may not be at the academic ranking level of some of the BigXII-II, but they probably are at the KSU ISU TT level.
                  Sorry, I spend too much time reading the realignment thread on ShaggyTexas. I just kind of pick up their vernacular or whatever. I am sure it is a fine school. I watched them play at Tulsa in the Case Keenum years and they had a lot of school spirit and a really impressive band.

Comment

Cougar High (UH) would be solid too but I think the release by the Big XII mentioned something about academics so they are probably out.
                    Pretty ignorant comment from you. Since I think all country folk who don't get around much ought to get a little education once in a while, let me help you.....
                    UH is a tier one research university.....beating Texas Tech to this achievement.
                    Four Texas universities — Texas Tech University, the University of North Texas, the University of Texas at Dallas and the University of Texas at Arlington — have reached a major milestone in their quests to join the top tier of universities in the nation.

Funny, but I don't see SWOMO on the list.

Here's an article from Texas Monthly handicapping the expansion derby:

I'm betting that they're right. If the SEC expands, they will look to lock up UH. UConn is too far away for the Big 12. I am not certain whom the Big 12 will add, but I think UConn is GUD (Geographically Un-Desirable). If they are looking to the east for a school (close to West Virginia), I would put my money on Cincinnati.

Note the Texas Monthly article seems to agree with you about BYU, but if you think UH is on a par with the Valley schools, you're kidding yourself. As much as I think WSU is a great university, even they do not have tier one status. Look at the schools on the list. Most of them are P-5 schools.

UH has more wealthy alums than most all valley schools (except, perhaps for WSU). Wealthy alums translate into a fat endowment program ($780 million in 2013). WSU, which has (as far as I know) the largest endowment fund in the Valley was $290 million in 2015.

Not that it's any of my business, but I would suggest you do a little research in the future before making such broad statements.

PS: If you are looking for a few more facts and figures, here's the wiki website for UH, which is the 4th largest school in Texas.
                    Last edited by shocka khan; July 20, 2016, 09:18 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

• I didn't realize Tilman Fertitta posted under the alias Shocka Khan. I agree with most of your thoughts on this issue Mr. Fertitta...err Khan.

Seriously though, good points. I agree with a lot of what you are saying about UH. And I appreciate the information. The only thing I take exception to is the part about UH being on the SEC's radar. That is not accurate. And it isn't a knock on UH really. It's just that the SEC will look east if they expand again and schools like UNC, NC State, Florida State, and Clemson are more realistic than taking an additional school in Texas.

Comment

• If the Big 12 expands east, the American may look at mid-majors to fill the void
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                          Pretty ignorant comment from you. Since I think all country folk who don't get around much ought to get a little education once in a while, let me help you.....
                          UH is a tier one research university.....beating Texas Tech to this achievement.
                          Four Texas universities — Texas Tech University, the University of North Texas, the University of Texas at Dallas and the University of Texas at Arlington — have reached a major milestone in their quests to join the top tier of universities in the nation.

Funny, but I don't see SWOMO on the list.

Here's an article from Texas Monthly handicapping the expansion derby:

I'm betting that they're right. If the SEC expands, they will look to lock up UH. UConn is too far away for the Big 12. I am not certain whom the Big 12 will add, but I think UConn is GUD (Geographically Un-Desirable). If they are looking to the east for a school (close to West Virginia), I would put my money on Cincinnati.

Note the Texas Monthly article seems to agree with you about BYU, but if you think UH is on a par with the Valley schools, you're kidding yourself. As much as I think WSU is a great university, even they do not have tier one status. Look at the schools on the list. Most of them are P-5 schools.

UH has more wealthy alums than most all valley schools (except, perhaps for WSU). Wealthy alums translate into a fat endowment program ($780 million in 2013). WSU, which has (as far as I know) the largest endowment fund in the Valley was $290 million in 2015.

Not that it's any of my business, but I would suggest you do a little research in the future before making such broad statements.

PS: If you are looking for a few more facts and figures, here's the wiki website for UH, which is the 4th largest school in Texas.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...Houston_System
                          Thought this was interesting; never knew the qualifications to become a 'Tier One' institution.

University of Houston - Tier One FAQs

"What exactly is “Tier One”?
                          “Tier One,” “Top Tier” and “Nationally Competitive Research University” are terms used interchangeably to refer to universities known for world-class research, academic excellence, an exceptional student body, and the highest levels of innovation, creativity and scholarship. Because of these accomplishments, these universities enjoy a national “brand,” recognition and prestige."

"What are those benchmarks?
                          •At least $45 million in restricted research expenditures. In 2010, UH had more than $90 million.
                          •Endowment assets of $400 million. In 2011, UH had just over $580 million.
                          •Phi Beta Kappa chapter or membership in the Association of Research Libraries. UH is an ARL member.
                          •At least 200 Ph.D.s awarded annually. UH has averaged more than 200 doctorates for the past three years.
                          •The cumulative number of tenured/tenure-track faculty who have achieved distinction as a member of one of the National Academies or are Nobel Prize recipients should be equal to or greater than 5. In 2011, UH faculty include 11 National Academy members and one Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Two other guidelines address freshmen admissions and graduate programs. UH leaders are confident the school will already exceed these standards, or will be able to attain them in a reasonable period of time."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I just looked at the American's teams again. My original thought was that without Cincy and Memphis that league wasn't as desirable, but Memphis was actually a below-average team in that conference last year.

There are a few dogs in that league (4 teams with rpi's of 200+), but even without Memphis and Cincy, they had 5 teams with rpi's below 100. It would seem that if the B12 took Cincy and Memphis, that WSU and the American would have a reason for some discussion.

Seeing Houston, Tulsa, and SMU on the schedule (probably) every year would be a good thing. Tulane - not so much - but it would be an interesting destination for a road trip for fans. Probably easy to get tickets, too.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I can't believe that the University at Buffalo is even being suggested as an AAC possibility. What are Canisius, Siena, and Le Moyne not available?

Honestly though, with respect to that list, as much as I give you all crap and stuff you'd be the best of that bunch. With all due respect to the men and women at West Point.

Comment

I didn't realize Tilman Fertitta posted under the alias Shocka Khan. I agree with most of your thoughts on this issue Mr. Fertitta...err Khan.

Seriously though, good points. I agree with a lot of what you are saying about UH. And I appreciate the information. The only thing I take exception to is the part about UH being on the SEC's radar. That is not accurate. And it isn't a knock on UH really. It's just that the SEC will look east if they expand again and schools like UNC, NC State, Florida State, and Clemson are more realistic than taking an additional school in Texas.
                                Not according to the Texas Monthly article I attached in my post. There is at least some level of smoke. Maybe not a fire, but some smoke.

Don't forget that Houston is in the top 5 television markets in the United States. There is already a big fan base from LSU and A&M (Houston has the most A&M grads in any major city and I'm sure the same can be said for LSU). If the SEC took UH in as a member, they'd have a lock on the Houston TV market that the Big12 will not be able to dent.

Put it like this: If the MVC added Loyola of Chicago as a member (supposedly due to the Chicago TV market) why wouldn't the SEC seriously considering adding Houston for the exact same reasons (and even more, since UH isn't quite the step-maiden Loyola is.
                                Last edited by shocka khan; July 20, 2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X