American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
    I wonder if the MVC would make room for a couple more western teams? Patty Viverito might not like it that KU and KState would park their programs in the MVFC though.
    No way. KU/KSU aren't located in Illinois.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      I wonder if the MVC would make room for a couple more western teams? Patty Viverito might not like it that KU and KState would park their programs in the MVFC though.
      In seconds we would go from playing nobody to playing the toughest conference schedule anyone has ever been tasked with playing. I mean, how else would KU be able to explain their yearly road losses they would have at places like Evansville and Loyola?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        In seconds we would go from playing nobody to playing the toughest conference schedule anyone has ever been tasked with playing. I mean, how else would KU be able to explain their yearly road losses they would have at places like Evansville and Loyola?
        Haven't you heard? The chickens would never lose to a Valley team!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          Haven't you heard? The chickens would never lose to a Valley team!
          Except in the tournament, where they never beat Valley teams.

Comment

• One Atlantic 10 fan thinks it would be a good fit.

Comment

• Great fine, Royal. What's not to like the way this guy laid out the reasons the A-10 should snap up Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                One Atlantic 10 fan thinks it would be a good fit.
                I like it. I'll take anything at this point. Can they maybe poach us and UNI and go to 16? :) I sure wouldn't mind to see UNI leave, too and have the MVC's attitude about football backfire. They said they wouldn't do anything to help facilitate WSU starting a program if WSU only intends to leave, so lets flip the tables, forget football and take the other best basketball program with us where ever we go next. They will still keep UNI in the MVFC football-only I'm sure. What else are they gonna do? Throw them out and bring in Drake's football team? That does sound like the MVC office to me...

Comment

• I've never been thrilled with the A-10 but at this point I might be OK with it.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    One Atlantic 10 fan thinks it would be a good fit.
                    Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    Great fine, Royal. What's not to like the way this guy laid out the reasons the A-10 should snap up Wichita.
                    Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    I like it. I'll take anything at this point. Can they maybe poach us and UNI and go to 16? :) I sure wouldn't mind to see UNI leave, too and have the MVC's attitude about football backfire. They said they wouldn't do anything to help facilitate WSU starting a program if WSU only intends to leave, so lets flip the tables, forget football and take the other best basketball program with us where ever we go next. They will still keep UNI in the MVFC football-only I'm sure. What else are they gonna do? Throw them out and bring in Drake's football team? That does sound like the MVC office to me...
                    Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    I've never been thrilled with the A-10 but at this point I might be OK with it.
                    So the distance isn't a real problem for you with all of WSU's sports teams? The A-10 has one school inside the current MVC footprint. The next school is 100 miles outside that footprint with all the other schools 1,000 - 1,550 miles away. The farthest Valley school is around 700 miles with most of the A-10 schools being 1,200 miles and more.

There isn't even a reasonable "divisions" setup with so many schools on the east coast.

Not that the MWC is an option, but many here did not like them for their distance and time zones, but they have more schools closer to WSU than the A-10 and most of their schools are located places fans would like going to. I assume many who travel to see the Shocks are now going to have to fly almost always and due to the cost may want to make it a 2 or 3 day mini-vacation.

Comment

• I left a comment on that blog about the travel distance for the other team sports. To make that work the athletic dept would have to spring for commercial flights to destinations beyond a certain distance. Even then, those within that distance would still require significantly longer bus rides. Without a huge bump in TV revenue, I don't see how the A-10 would be a good fit unless it was for men's basketball only, and I don't see either the A-10 or MVC being very accommodating in that scenario.

I still think the AAC is the only reasonable option, and that's not happening without football. Ugh.

Comment

• The only way I could see the A10 working is if they dropped a few of the "Little Sisters of the Poor" east coast teams and replaced them with stronger Midwest teams, setting up an East and West division.
                        Last edited by wu_shizzle; August 11, 2016, 12:08 PM.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                          The only way I could see the A10 working is if they dropped a few of the "Little Sisters of the Poor" east coast teams and replaced them with stronger Midwest teams, setting up an East and West division.
                          Yep. Fordham and Duquesne dropping down to the Patriot League while the A10 picks up WSU and Bradley would be a start, but it's hard to imagine an exodus much larger than that.

The Midwest has a handful of state schools that deserve better than their current conference, but nobody wants them because of geography. The East Coast has a great deal of schools that deserve far worse than their current conference, but their spots seem secure because of the public/private dichotomy and, again, geography.

Frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            Yep. Fordham and Duquesne dropping down to the Patriot League while the A10 picks up WSU and Bradley would be a start, but it's hard to imagine an exodus much larger than that.

The Midwest has a handful of state schools that deserve better than their current conference, but nobody wants them because of geography. The East Coast has a great deal of schools that deserve far worse than their current conference, but their spots seem secure because of the public/private dichotomy and, again, geography.

Frustrating.
                            If the A-10 wants to be real serious about improving their conference (and get WSU), they'll need to go to 16 teams with 2 divisions and cull out 2 or more current teams. This will allow the pick up of 4 or more schools that routinely have higher RPIs than their usual bottom feeders (if there are that many even out there).

Lastly, without the above happening, I'd still be a little concerned about the Big Least grabbing Dayton and St. Louis if they expand and want similar schools to themselves. I know St. Louis actually weakens them and Xavier may not want Dayton, but that would be totally disastrous for WSU if they joined, then these 2 left.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              that would be totally disastrous for WSU if they joined, then these 2 left.
                              but still not as disastrous as being in the MVC and playing Missouri State two or three times a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                                but still not as disastrous as being in the MVC and playing Missouri State two or three times a year.
                                I'll hold you to your word that you are now back to joking around. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X