No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this info already posted/discussed my apologies.

Moderna and Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine candidates require ultra-low temperatures, raising questions about storage, distribution

Not that Moderna and Pfizer are the only two vaccine candidates.

Comment

• Your Coronavirus Test Is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn’t Be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...s-testing.html

Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time. But researchers say the solution is not to test less, or to skip testing people without symptoms, as recently suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Instead, new data underscore the need for more widespread use of rapid tests, even if they are less sensitive.

“We’ve been using one type of data for everything, and that is just plus or minus — that’s all,” Dr. Mina said. “We’re using that for clinical diagnostics, for public health, for policy decision-making.”

But yes-no isn’t good enough, he added. It’s the amount of virus that should dictate the infected patient’s next steps. “It’s really irresponsible, I think, to forgo the recognition that this is a quantitative issue,” Dr. Mina said.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

Kind of a long article but the conclusion apparently is that most of the testing we have been doing is too sensitive and we would be better off with less sensitive rapid testing.

Comment

• The CDC updated some info two weeks ago that about 6% of Covid deaths lacked any comorbitities. Age is not considered to be a comorbidity.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          The CDC updated some info two weeks ago that about 6% of Covid deaths lacked any comorbitities. Age is not considered to be a comorbidity.
          Most with common sense could easily discern that to be a more rational number: The elderly and compromised are at high risk. But, we could always check with the WHO or red china for their input (again). No use checking with Kim because he's in a coma, or dead. He screwed up when he announced a 'christmas surprise' for the West, so he had to be eliminated.

Here's more good news:

Finally, States Are Retracting Hydroxychloroquine Bans https://townhall.com/columnists/chri...mpression=true
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; August 30, 2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The CDC updated some info two weeks ago that about 6% of Covid deaths lacked any comorbitities. Age is not considered to be a comorbidity.
            https://www.axios.com/cdc-covid-deat...5fd64bce1.html

This "6%" figure is going to confuse a lot of Covid Deniers. They will be celebrating in the streets until somebody explains to them that Covid-19 is causal in most cases involving "contributing health conditions". The CDC release is quite disingenuous actually. The only real interesting point out of it is how did the 6% die without cardiopulmonary, vascular, or renal involvement? Sounds to me like an error in reporting.

Maybe the 6% died because of this dood?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

https://www.axios.com/cdc-covid-deat...5fd64bce1.html

This "6%" figure is going to confuse a lot of Covid Deniers. They will be celebrating in the streets until somebody explains to them that Covid-19 is causal in most cases involving "contributing health conditions". The CDC release is quite disingenuous actually. The only real interesting point out of it is how did the 6% die without cardiopulmonary, vascular, or renal involvement? Sounds to me like an error in reporting.

Maybe the 6% died because of this dood?

So now the granddaddy of all scientific organizations releases “science” and you still have a problem with it?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Quote: “The latest CDC data show that those aged 65 and older account for 80% of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. But that age group makes up only 16% of the population... those under age 35 comprise 45% of the population.... [but] 0.8% of COVID-19 deaths.

This quote from Britt Hume is a month old but is still the most important data on COVID-19 deaths. Age is the biggest factor in serious cases and death. People over 60 need to be more careful and distance as much as possible and people under 35 have very little to fear from the virus. Universities, and K-12 need to open up for business and distance from elderly grandparents. There are other measures that can be taken but too many kids need personal education from a teacher on site and they will pay long term consequences.

Comment

• Is that a seven day moving average of ZERO?

I mean that's not just a one day data point (which would be impressive by itself). That's a seven day moving average.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Sedgwick County's rolling 14 day positive % has dropped to 7.9%. It has been under 10% for the last 4 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Sedgwick County's rolling 14 day positive % has dropped to 7.9%. It has been under 10% for the last 4 days.
                      That should make it easy for the Board vote tomorrow to allow the kids to play ball.

Comment

• New York State has twice as many deaths from Covid-19 than any other state, and New York has accounted for one fifth of all Covid-19 deaths, but the media tells us that New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has handled the pandemic better than any other governor.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          New York State has twice as many deaths from Covid-19 than any other state, and New York has accounted for one fifth of all Covid-19 deaths, but the media tells us that New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has handled the pandemic better than any other governor.
                          Gaslighting
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              This is sooo confusing! I was told this was an alien virus. I must be a Covidiot. If only there was someone that could explain what this means. Will anyone save me from my ignorance on this news?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

This is sooo confusing! I was told this was an alien virus. I must be a Covidiot. If only there was someone that could explain what this means. Will anyone save me from my ignorance on this news?
                                There's a lag. Over the next two weeks you will see 90% of the people who die are under 40 with no health concerns. It's coming! Also, it is science which is inexact so the numbers are allowed to be wrong with in a +/- 50% variance.

Comment

Working...
                                X