Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Americans are by and large... fat.

The U.S. has over 100 million who are diabetic or pre-diabetic. I was looking into this last week. I didn't bring it up though. If I shared all the facts I have collected on SARS-COV-2 you'd be curled up in the fetal position sucking your thumb.

Death is not the only negative outcome with this insidious, alien disease. Not by a long shot.

The metrics I'm watching are absolutely sobering. We're going to be digging out of this mess for years... politically, economically, and health-wise.

My advice remains the same... try and not get infected if you can help it.
    I agree with your first statement, only the PC term is obese (until that too becomes a shaming word).

For the rest, I could say that it's bound to happen, now or very soon, with or without this disease, or with the aid of the next disease. We are a nation of advanced science and technology with unworthy health and fitness (by too many).

If one wonders why our health care is so costly take a look at https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html .

"From 1999–2000 through 2017–2018, the prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5% to 42.4%, and the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%."

We're not talking just over-weight here.

It's the reason I get so pissy when National Health Care is brought up and that I'll have to pay for it while so many of have little to no skin in the game.

But back to the thread subject. This kind of battle between our science/health care vs too many of its citizens lack of personal health responsibility will continue when these viruses come around. We could have such an advantage over other countries in these situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Thank you for delinking the story. If you click on the FB post from which this story is coming, you will find a link to an article, that spawned the FB post. Here’s the article. Tell me if it reads like that salacious AP story?

Yeah, they are close to the same. The ap article emphasized that the help the Feds were sending would not be enough to keep them from having to triage in a very undesirable way while the FB post has more emphasis on / shelter in place/.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

Yeah, they are close to the same. The ap article emphasized that the help the Feds were sending would not be enough to keep them from having to triage in a very undesirable way while the FB post has more emphasis on / shelter in place/.
        More emphasis as in we aren’t sending patients home to die. More emphasis as in there are plenty of beds available. More emphasis as in I’m ashamed that every major news outlet is posting fake clickbait.

The entire context of the story was changed. The meaning of what he said was taken out of context to insinuate something that is totally untrue.

It doesn’t even make sense. You can’t take someone off of a ventilator and send them home to infect everyone. How would they get home? Who would give them palative care? There are plenty of beds available. They just aren’t for these people? 3 of 29 beds designated for Covid in use and the gov is adding another 10. Seriously!!!!
        Last edited by wufan; July 25, 2020, 09:42 PM.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

BY HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD ON 7/23/20 AT 7:00 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

More emphasis as in we aren’t sending patients home to die. More emphasis as in there are plenty of beds available. More emphasis as in I’m ashamed that every major news outlet is posting fake clickbait.

The entire context of the story was changed. The meaning of what he said was taken out of context to insinuate something that is totally untrue.

It doesn’t even make sense. You can’t take someone off of a ventilator and send them home to infect everyone. How would they get home? Who would give them palative care? There are plenty of beds available. They just aren’t for these people? 3 of 29 beds designated for Covid in use and the gov is adding another 10. Seriously!!!!
            Do you live in that county? They were not saying to take them off a vent to send home. They were saying not to give them an admission out of the ER I thought and if you read carefully you can see they didn't say that was what they were already doing. Most every hospital in the country has these type of triage plans. They are not usually put out in the public sphere. I know the ones in Wichita have these continguency plans in place for use if push comes to shove because I know people who work in the area. These people in this Texas county needed a lot more help and resources than they were receiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

Do you live in that county? They were not saying to take them off a vent to send home. They were saying not to give them an admission out of the ER I thought and if you read carefully you can see they didn't say that was what they were already doing. Most every hospital in the country has these type of triage plans. They are not usually put out in the public sphere. I know the ones in Wichita have these continguency plans in place for use if push comes to shove because I know people who work in the area. These people in this Texas county needed a lot more help and resources than they were receiving.
              My wife works in that county on occasion. She’s in healthcare. I will let her know you disagree.

Correction. She has not worked in Starr county. She worked in Lubbock and the county just south of there. So no, I have no connection to Starr county. I guess they have death panels and there is no other possible explanation.
              Last edited by wufan; July 26, 2020, 12:42 PM.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

BY HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD ON 7/23/20 AT 7:00 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

I'm past the point of wondering that any of us in a higher risk category of being in real trouble were we to get CV19 should be on HCQ until a vaccine is available. Given a choice between arrhythmia and the worst of CV19 I'll choose arrhythmia every day and twice on Sundays and my chances of getting CV19 are dozens of times greater. Let anyone that wants HCQ on it and get society back on a normal tact, today.

Comment

My wife works in that county on occasion. She’s in healthcare. I will let her know you disagree.

Correction. She has not worked in Starr county. She worked in Lubbock and the county just south of there. So no, I have no connection to Starr county. I guess they have death panels and there is no other possible explanation.
                  The plans I heard in Wichita were not nearly so extreme. They more concerned who would get a vent or not. Our medical people have gotten a lot better in treatment now and there seems not to be such an extreme shortage of vents.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavi...244465937.html

I would feel a lot more hopeful now if I got this crap than I would have even two months ago. I'm 73 and I have multiple heath issues.

Comment

• It was a rough night for me. Seems like the virus finally hit me hard. Up all night, cough, fever, chills. All of my joints hurt and I have a headache. It got better a few hours ago and I'm pushing acetaminophen. If this goes like it did for my wife, I should be through the worst of it by tomorrow and on to recovery. As for my family being cooped up for five days now:
                    FB_IMG_1595789649716.jpg
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• 20200726_155646.jpg On a funny note, the guys that I bike ride with are texting back and forth as if I'm already dead. They are casting lots for my bike. Here's a brief screenshot. I blacked out a couple of names. Yes, they call me lucky.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Get well soon!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Covid ‘rumpus‘...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/21/from...-whole-family/

He didn't mention anybody in his family dying yet which is good. Every time I see a story like this I want to shout out from the mountaintops that we're over the worst of it and the therapeutics and treatment plans are winning. I look at the overall U.S. death rate and it doesn't look horrific... but the reality is, we are still increasing our deaths in the new hot spots and there's still a very high probability that there will be hell to pay for all these infections.

Yes, the communist U.S. states are winning the battle against the spread with autocratic governing. China tactics work! The American experiment was a resounding success, but it does not work in times of pandemics. The citizenry are either not responsible enough, do not have sufficient "community spirit", or they are just undisciplined. Either way, you've gotta lock your populace down in times like these if you don't want to suffer even greater economic and health implications. It's no different than when you tell your kids to get inside the house before dark. It's embarrassing to admit, but your average American is not very mature.

Freedom Loving Americans

Wannabe Communist Dictatorships

The American dictatorships have it folks. This is their time to shine. I've been trying to tell you this for months. Bring out the welding tools.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-covid-19-yet/

Such an elegant article in it's explanation of why I've received so much flack in this thread.

I'm fortunately and unfortunately immune to much of the biases described. That makes me exceptionally clear thinking in times of stress, but it also makes me kind of a negative bastard as far as the typical outlook on life is concerned. The reality is: the ultimate outcome for most of us is probably more negative than positive. We're all going to die, and most of us are going to suffer many maladies prior to dying with dreams going unfulfilled and some regrets. But we don't look at that, we pretend like it doesn't exist otherwise most of us would go mad.

I can clearly see our basketball program declining and can admit that to myself and others. I can hope for a resurgence, but I can also face the reality that I see. 99% of the fans on this board are up in arms with even a mention that we likely have quietly exited our golden years. Same with Coronavirus. I look at the numbers at face value. I also understand statistics and exponentiality intimately. Toss in a little mental j'en ai se quoi and my forecasting will be more accurate than most. It's been that way my entire life. It all boils down to extreme rational and logic-based thinking. The trick is to be able to look at life without the rose-colored glasses and still remain a relatively happy person, which I am. Part of my contentment stems from the fact that I'm never surprised on the downside... I already know that end of the spectrum and have faced it. This state of fearlessness from being aware is an asset in business and risk taking applications. It also makes me look and sound like a Death Angel to the 'Fever types.

I put several thoughts in this one post so I don't clutter up the page. :)
                              I'm a risk analyst. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Kind of goes against the grain, but if you are disciplined, it works.

Comment

• Houstoin just broke 1000 deaths. Now at 1013.

The good news is that new cases are going down. Over most of Texas. It's not boing down much, no reason to celebrate, but at least it is starting to head down, and our gov, who is much smarter than his colleague in Texas, is more interested in opening schools than bars. Don't get me wrong, I like to drink, but what started this spike down here is all t he kids going out drinking during the Memorial Day weekend.

Deaths will continue to go up for the next month or so as the new cases continues to (hopefully) drop. Houston had more people die in July than they did for all months combined since this started.

Comment

Working...
                                X