Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Based off of one guy retesting .... Twenty... Yes only twenty tests. 50% of the 20 tests he rechecked using a different method had a different result.

There have been 53 million tests run in the US ...

Talk about a click bait title

​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Whoa! Talk about a misleading headline. 30% of tests are false negatives, and 20% are false positives. That’s usually based on all negative and positive tests respectively....unless I’m missing something.
      Last edited by wufan; July 24, 2020, 08:06 PM.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Whoa! Talk about a misleading headline. 30% of tests are false negatives, and 20% are false positives. That’s usually based on all neg
        Yep. Read the journal article. 2 of 10 and 3 of 10 were inaccurate. Trash fake news.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Important article about aerosolized Covid-19 transmission:

In summary, they measured particles <1 to 5 um from infected patients, and found that the virus is infectious in the smallest particles (600-800 nm). These droplets are formed when talking.

A well fit, high quality cloth mask will filter about 80% of particles > 300 nm, about 40% when leakage from normal fit is considered.

The study did not look at any particles smaller than 0.6 um, and the virus is 0.1 um, so it is possible (likely?) that filtration below 0.3 um is still necessary to contain the spread.
          Livin the dream

Comment

A well fit, high quality cloth mask will filter about 80% of particles > 300 nm, about 40% when leakage from normal fit is considered.
            And that seems to confirm the earlier peer-reviewed article I posted that said the average cloth mask is about 20% effective (i.e. most cloth masks are not high quality or tightly fitted).

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Important article about aerosolized Covid-19 transmission:

In summary, they measured particles <1 to 5 um from infected patients, and found that the virus is infectious in the smallest particles (600-800 nm). These droplets are formed when talking.

The study did not look at any particles smaller than 0.6 um, and the virus is 0.1 um, so it is possible (likely?) that filtration below 0.3 um is still necessary to contain the spread.
              Note: the mask study is NOT associated with the article I linked here. The mask info is important information for context of aerosolized spread, but comes from a separate study on masks.

Just to clearly state my opinion: I am for science based solutions to both preventing the spread of the infection and keeping the economy going. More masking/viral spread studies are needed.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Well, based on statistics, you'd have a 96.4% chance of living.
                They are sending them home because they have to keep the vents and such for those they have some hope of saving. I would have some concern that sending them home to die would give them even more patients among their families.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

They are sending them home because they have to keep the vents and such for those they have some hope of saving. I would have some concern that sending them home to die would give them even more patients among their families.
                  Source please. I do not believe anyone in the US is being sent home to die for any reason.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• I read in a mainstream journal that 50% of Covid deaths were associated with patients with diabetes. They didn’t link a study, so the 50% number is almost certainly exaggerated, however it’s also almost certainly a major risk factor. I’d like to see more information on this if anyone comes across it.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I read in a mainstream journal that 50% of Covid deaths were associated with patients with diabetes. They didn’t link a study, so the 50% number is almost certainly exaggerated, however it’s also almost certainly a major risk factor. I’d like to see more information on this if anyone comes across it.
                      Risk for diabetes increases dramatically with age. In the United States 26.8% of people aged 65 and older have diabetes. 80% of COVID-19 deaths are 65 years and older. 60% are 75 and older.

When you consider that _at least_ 1 of every 4 people in the high risk age group have diabetes (and probably closer to 1 in 3), it wouldn't be too hard to believe that prevalence of diabetes is very high.

Comment

I read in a mainstream journal that 50% of Covid deaths were associated with patients with diabetes.
                        The smart ass in me is thinking ...

Quite likely that 75% of Covid deaths have false teeth.

Quite likely that 75% of Covid deaths have grey hair.

Quite likely that 60% of Covid deaths have grandchildren.

Quite likely that 90% of Covid deaths have hyperpigmentation.

.. and so on ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

The smart ass in me is thinking ...

Quite likely that 75% of Covid deaths have false teeth.

Quite likely that 75% of Covid deaths have grey hair.

Quite likely that 60% of Covid deaths have grandchildren.

Quite likely that 90% of Covid deaths have hyperpigmentation.

.. and so on ...
                          No harm is a little jocularity.

Comment

Source please. I do not believe anyone in the US is being sent home to die for any reason.
                            Wichita Eagle... The link is in my original post on the previous page.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavi...244443257.html

(decided to repost it)
                            Last edited by Windiwu; July 25, 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I read in a mainstream journal that 50% of Covid deaths were associated with patients with diabetes. They didn’t link a study, so the 50% number is almost certainly exaggerated, however it’s also almost certainly a major risk factor. I’d like to see more information on this if anyone comes across it.
                              Americans are by and large... fat.

The U.S. has over 100 million who are diabetic or pre-diabetic. I was looking into this last week. I didn't bring it up though. If I shared all the facts I have collected on SARS-COV-2 you'd be curled up in the fetal position sucking your thumb.

Death is not the only negative outcome with this insidious, alien disease. Not by a long shot.

The metrics I'm watching are absolutely sobering. We're going to be digging out of this mess for years... politically, economically, and health-wise.

My advice remains the same... try and not get infected if you can help it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

Wichita Eagle... The link is in my original post on the previous page.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavi...244443257.html

(decided to repost it)
                                Thank you for delinking the story. If you click on the FB post from which this story is coming, you will find a link to an article, that spawned the FB post. Here’s the article. Tell me if it reads like that salacious AP story?

Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X