Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

That’s manslaughter.
    Absolutely, and it's also manslaughter (at least in my mind) when some fool goes out, knowing they are sick, and makes everyone else sick. Or maybe they don't kill people, the people exposed end up in a hospital with a stint on a ventillator. Behaving in a reckless manner is behaving in a reckless manner, whether it's a gun, a car, playing with matches or whatever.

The good thing is that he only made his own family sick. So that makes this a hypothetical, but still worthy of discussion.

We are just not going to agree on this. Reckless behavior is reckless behavior, period. And if you know the risks and impacts on innocent people when you engage in reckless behavior, you ought to be held accountable.

Not only that, this guy probably does not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, or has few assets and is 'probably' making themselves judgement-proof. Interesting story, I had exactly one date with a graduate of UT, business major. She did not believe in automobile insurance, refused to drive with it, resorted to all kinds of legal gymnastics to make herself judgment-proof, including transferring her homestead and whatever savings she had to the control of her minor child. I thought she was half a bubble off plumb, but there's a perfect example of what I am describing.

So if you can't punish him criinally and you can't punish him civilly, how do you hold him accountable?
    Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; May 1, 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      US CV deaths March 31: at least 3,800
      US CV deaths April 30: at least 63,000

That's 59,000 deaths in April.

CA and NY are heavy population areas and they are both past their peaks. With the gradual reopening, the back side of the peak is likely to have a shallow slope. If the estimate of 74,000 deaths by the end of August is accurate, that would be incredibly encouraging compared to what we've seen this month.
      Respectfully disagree about the curve coming down slow. Georgia is going back way too quickly and almost everyone acknowledges that. Florida is similarly situated. Texas (especially in the panhandle, where there is a meatpacking plant just outside of Amarillo with a large and growing cluster and all the cases in Dallas and Houston, which appear to be increasing as we relax social distancing). There are 29 million in Texas, 20 million in Florida and probably 8 million (or so) in Georgia. That 57 million is roughly the population of NY and Cali.

A lot of whether the death curve comes down is how people react and whether they maintain social distancing. Especially in those areas where the curve has not peaked.
      Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; May 1, 2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Absolutely, and it's also manslaughter (at least in my mind) when some fool goes out, knowing they are sick, and makes everyone else sick. Or maybe they don't kill people, the people exposed end up in a hospital with a stint on a ventillator. Behaving in a reckless manner is behaving in a reckless manner, whether it's a gun, a car, playing with matches or whatever.

The good thing is that he only made his own family sick. So that makes this a hypothetical, but still worthy of discussion.

We are just not going to agree on this. Reckless behavior is reckless behavior, period. And if you know the risks and impacts on innocent people when you engage in reckless behavior, you ought to be held accountable.

Not only that, this guy probably does not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, or has few assets and is 'probably' making themselves judgement-proof. Interesting story, I had exactly one date with a graduate of UT, business major. She did not believe in automobile insurance, refused to drive with it, resorted to all kinds of legal gymnastics to make herself judgment-proof, including transferring her homestead and whatever savings she had to the control of her minor child. I thought she was half a bubble off plumb, but there's a perfect example of what I am describing.

So if you can't punish him criinally and you can't punish him civilly, how do you hold him accountable?
        Talk about mental gymnastics. You don’t know anything about this persons assets (nor do I) so I don’t think that has anything to do with the discussion.

“Reckless behavior is reckless behavior, period.” That would be true, however reckless driving where no one is hospitalized or dies carries a different penalty than manslaughter with said vehicle. It’s a fine. Maybe a suspension of privileges if a Egregious. What if I go to work sick with the flu? Should I be arrested?

The reason we aren’t going to agree is because you believe in draconian punishment and I believe in measures response.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• DARPA has developed a blood test that is suppose to be able to identify carriers of covid before they are infectious. They are seeking emergency approval with the FDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            DARPA has developed a blood test that is suppose to be able to identify carriers of covid before they are infectious. They are seeking emergency approval with the FDA.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-19-carriers
            Thinking about this - if it works could be they way forward for sports (without spectators). You could give all athletes a blood test prior to game.

Comment

• Californians weary of stay-at-home orders that have left millions unemployed staged displays of defiance Friday, with hundreds of flag-waving protesters gathering at the Capitol and along a famed Southern California beach, while a sparsely populated county on the Oregon border allowed diners back in restaurants and reopened other businesses. While much of the state's population remained behind closed doors to deter the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Gavin Newsom acknowledged the building anxiety while repeatedly teasing the possibility the state could begin relaxing some aspects of the restrictions next week. Newsom noted the state just passed the grim marks of 50,000 confirmed infections and 2,000 deaths but that hospitalization statistics are heading in a better direction and that has him hopeful.

OK, to hell with that half-pint ***** in Topeka!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...050839561.html

OK, to hell with that half-pint ***** in Topeka!
                can't believe how much I cleaned that up...…..

Comment

• Hyperbaric oxygen treatment, is showing great promise. It is currently being discussed as a treatment, and has been used in several areas including Louisiana.

From the very limited information that I've heard and read, HBO treatment is less successful for patients once intubated. HBO is not currently being used for covid pts. in Omaha, but is being seriously considered. If HBO continues to be tried and the treatment proves successful, it will be a game changer. The only drawback is the limited amount of chambers scattered across the country, and fewer yet, the chambers set up for critical care treatment.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    US CV deaths March 31: at least 3,800
                    US CV deaths April 30: at least 63,000

That's 59,000 deaths in April.
                    I'm not complaining, nor getting personal or political. Is it fair or right to say "at least"? The assumption being that every counted death is C-19 caused and no going back, but other deaths could be linked and the number increased later?

Would people be upset if others said "at most"?

There seems to be a lot of information/facts that more than a handful of deaths are not completely blaming C-19. Flu deaths are down substantially year over year, which at least begs a question.

I fully admit I haven't done the research that many have here, and I'm not claiming knowledge (and I admit my bias) but I'm just curious.

Comment

• millions back into poverty

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

can't believe how much I cleaned that up...…..
                        I can’t believe you think Laura Kelly is the governor of CA.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I'm not complaining, nor getting personal or political. Is it fair or right to say "at least"? The assumption being that every counted death is C-19 caused and no going back, but other deaths could be linked and the number increased later?

There seems to be a lot of information/facts that more than a handful of deaths are not completely blaming C-19. Flu deaths are down substantially year over year, which at least begs a question.

I fully admit I haven't done the research that many have here, and I'm not claiming knowledge (and I admit my bias) but I'm just curious.

The sources where I found the numbers all said "at least". I've found numbers claimed to be "accurate" in other searches and, to my recollection, the numbers I found that claimed to be "accurate", were higher than those claimed as "at least".

I believe the "at least" term was used because the numbers reported had been rounded down from often cited actual numbers.

It is certain that some deaths have been attributed to C-19 where the person would have died of something else regardless of their C-19 infection. That's true of anything for which deaths are counted. It's generally statistically insignificant, but C-19 may have a small, but significant, overstatement of deaths because the most vulnerable are already knocking on Heaven's door.
                          Last edited by Aargh; May 1, 2020, 10:28 PM.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Up to 65,000 COVID deaths.

While hospitalizations are down in the coastal states, they continue to increase in pretty much every other state. Barring a complete reduction in the death rate, it’s certainly possible to be over 100,000 deaths by August 1st.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• I'd definitely be interested in knowing flu deaths, heart attack deaths, and stroke deaths to date and compared to average.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

There is a fair amount of data out there indicating that, if anything, COVID-19 deaths are being undercounted. Excess deaths across America, even when subtracting confirmed CoVID-19 deaths, are up considerably.

What will be interesting is to see if, once the virus finally dies down, if excess deaths become the opposite. I.E average Americans dying per week fall below trend. While COVID is claiming victims across all age groups, it predominately is killing older Americans and those with pre-existing conditions. It is possible that some of the deaths that were inevitably going to happen in 2 months, 6 months, a year, etc. were “accelerated” by the virus. Especially when around 1/4 of deaths have happened at long term care facilities.

I truly hate even typing those things, as the heartbreak, loss, and grief of those families are still real and painful.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X