Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fourth wave is here

The big picture: America may be at the beginning of a fourth wave in the pandemic. It will almost certainly be far less deadly than the previous three, but this persistent failure to contain the virus has real consequences, and will only make it harder to put COVID-19 behind us.

By the numbers: On average, roughly 63,000 Americans per day were diagnosed with coronavirus infections over the past week. That’s a 17% increase from the week before, and echoes the rising caseloads of the pandemic’s second wave last summer.
    • Average daily caseloads increased over the past week in 25 states. The biggest spikes were in Michigan and New York.
    • Even as vaccinations continue to climb, new cases only declined in five states, mainly in the Southeast.

What we’re watching: Because so many seniors have been vaccinated — 73% have gotten at least one dose — this fourth wave is likely to be a lot less deadly than the previous ones.
    • Many states have also prioritized vaccinating people with underlying health conditions, which will also help constrain the increase in severe illness and death.

Yes, but: More coronavirus is always a bad outcome, and this fourth wave is a foreseeable, preventable failure that risks dragging out the pandemic and leaving more people at risk in the process.
    • Millions of younger Americans with high-risk medical conditions haven’t yet been vaccinated, and therefore are still susceptible to serious illness and death as the virus spreads more aggressively.
    • Hospitalizations are still rising — they’re just not likely to increase as dramatically as they have before.
    • Greater spread also fosters the growth of new variants. The variants driving this outbreak are more contagious than the original strain; future variants will likely be less susceptible to our existing vaccines.
    • Failing to control the virus now means it’ll be hanging around and flaring up longer into the future.

The bottom line: The vaccines work, and will spare us a lot of the death and suffering of previous surges. But four waves of infection in one year represents a clear failure to control the virus through any other means, and that will continue to hurt us.
    So sad. Death is not the only bad outcome.

Comment

• Ah, there he is. Was wondering what happened to him during the lull.

You can’t contain a virus.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Ah, there he is. Was wondering what happened to him during the lull.

You can’t contain a virus.
        I carry a little folding fan and wave it in front of my face while I walk. The turbulents cause the aerosolized particles to avoid my airways.

Trust the science!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• https://www.ksn.com/news/health/coro...-mask-mandate/

One Wichita pediatrician is concerned by Thursday’s vote.

“I am saddened by foolish decisions to not push us across the finish line but fumble hard,” Dr. Amy Seery said.
          It's like the Republicans want to be the first to finish the Race-O-Retard. We're only a couple months away from really putting the hammer on this. Masks do nothing to impede normal commerce or freedom. They are merely a temporary "vaccine" until the actual vaccine gets distributed sufficiently. These dumb decisions will needlessly harm people.

“We have legislators, people who have no medical training at all who are telling medical doctors that they don’t know what they’re talking about,” Mayor Whipple added. “Because these guys are elected so now, they’re the smartest guys in the room. It’s too bad.”

Mayor Whipple says the only chance Wichita would have to restore a mask mandate locally is through a majority vote by the city council, but currently, he does not have the votes to make that happen.
          Summed it up perfectly mayor. Thank you for following the science and governing rationally. You can only do so much. The Darwin Effect is in full force. Unfortunately in this situation, it doesn't only select out the Covidiots...
          Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; April 2, 2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Why isn't Fauci blowin and goin about the biggest super spreader event we've had to date...

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              https://www.ksn.com/news/health/coro...-mask-mandate/

It's like the Republicans want to be the first to finish the Race-O-Retard. We're only a couple months away from really putting the hammer on this. Masks do nothing to impede normal commerce or freedom. They are merely a temporary "vaccine" until the actual vaccine gets distributed sufficiently. These dumb decisions will needlessly harm people.

Summed it up perfectly mayor. Thank you for following the science and governing rationally. You can only do so much. The Darwin Effect is in full force. Unfortunately in this situation, it doesn't only select out the Covidiots...
              What are the scientific guidelines for removing mask mandates?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop View Post

What are the scientific guidelines for removing mask mandates?
                The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will have the answers you seek. I can assure you 100% it is not now. I suspect a period of time after all those wanting vaccinations have received them, a careful analysis of community spread will be conducted; and if the daily infections are below a certain threshold, further relaxing guidance will be issued. Masks have such a high benefit to inconvenience ratio compared to lockdowns and quarantines... they will be the last measure to go away.

Comment

Ben Gilroy really is stupid.
                  No idea who he is, actually. Sounds like he has common sense, though.

Comment

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will have the answers you seek. I can assure you 100% it is not now. I suspect a period of time after all those wanting vaccinations have received them, a careful analysis of community spread will be conducted; and if the daily infections are below a certain threshold, further relaxing guidance will be issued. Masks have such a high benefit to inconvenience ratio compared to lockdowns and quarantines... they will be the last measure to go away.
                    The CDC says three year olds should wear masks when not with family and that vaccinated people must wear masks. This, despite any scientific evidence.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Health Canada has issued an advisory and asked all distributors selling masks with graphene or biomass graphene to recall their products over potential inhalation risks.

TORONTO -- Health Canada has issued an advisory and asked distributors to recall masks sold with graphene or biographene in them over potential inhalation risks.

Graphene is comprised of a single layer of carbon atoms and is considered a nanomaterial, meaning it is made of tiny particles, and is reported to have “antiviral and antibacterial properties,” the advisory says.

Health Canada said it conducted a preliminary scientific assessment after becoming aware that masks containing graphene were being sold with COVID-19 health claims and used by adults and children in schools and daycares. Health Canada also believes they may have been distributed for use in health care settings.
                      The specific mask model under review, #SNN200642, is the same model for which Health Canada received a complaint from a concerned citizen raising a question about the potential health risks.

The organization said that their preliminary assessment of available research found that inhaled graphene particles had some potential to cause “early lung toxicity” in rats and other animals, but that the potential for people to inhale graphene particles – and the related health risks – are not yet known, and may vary with based on mask design.

The health risk to people of any age is not clear, the advisory says, as there are many variables such as duration of exposure and the type of graphene used. Health Canada has requested data from mask manufacturers to further investigate the potential health risks.
                      Any opinions on this? (wufan?)

All my KN95's have graphene/Healfiber/Biomass.

There are warnings of potential “early pulmonary toxicity” associated with face masks using graphene

Here's some more info.

Comment

• Went to Easter Sunday service at my church here in Johnson County. Barely anyone had masks on, and the church has taken the position of not recommending or requiring masks or social distancing anymore.

It was awesome.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          Went to Easter Sunday service at my church here in Johnson County. Barely anyone had masks on, and the church has taken the position of not recommending or requiring masks or social distancing anymore.

It was awesome.
                          The "church's position" on health matters...

I guess that'd be akin to asking my plumber to do my taxes...

Good luck!

Comment

• Just ordered a 20 ct. box of 3M N95s for around 28 bucks. Supply is good on Ebay.

Comment

The "church's position" on health matters...

I guess that'd be akin to asking my plumber to do my taxes...

Good luck!
                              I would venture a prediction that your plumber is better, and more trustworthy to the average citizen when doing taxes than you are as a Scientist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I would venture a prediction that your plumber is better, and more trustworthy to the average citizen when doing taxes than you are as a Scientist.

Comment

Working...
                                X