No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys obviously remember more about Dreiling than I do. I remember that he wasn't very good offensively but after he went to KU, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to him. What is your connection to him? I watched the replay (just a couple of months ago) of the LSU game his freshman year at WSU and he didn't do much offensively. Whoever said that EO was stiff earlier, Dreiling was the description of "stiff".

Comment

• Isn't it about time for somebody to mention how long this thread is? :)

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
        I really believe EO could have contributed much more. Surely everyone noticed how "short" our bench was towards the end of the season. Coach wanted to make "sure" we gave it our best shot. It doesn't mean EO, Evan, Jake, or Tekele couldn't have contributed more. Garrett played maximum minutes; that is the main reason EO didn't see the floor. Garrett was our best option, and he was a senior - Coach wanted him on the floor. Same with Joe & Toure'. Even Ben towards the end. We HAD to get to the Dance, and we had to make sure.

Nobody KNOWS what will happen next season - everything is speculation. I speculate EO will play 15-20 minutes a game and average 7 points, 9 rebounds, ad 4 blocks. I would also "speculate" that other predictions of 12-14 minutes will be the low end of the spectrum - that is the "safe" speculation. I would also "speculate" that it is possible for EO to average a double, double, with 5 blocks a game if he approaches 20-25 minutes per game. Staying out of foul trouble will likely be the key.

All speculation. We WILL find out next season.
        As for the short bench being the reason EO didn't play more over the last 10 games: Tekele did play about 2 mpg less than before, but still averaged 8.3 mpg. For the season, White played in only 21 games. However, he played in only 13 of the first 23 averaging 7.9 mpg when he played, but 8 of the last 10 for a 6.1 mpg. EO played in 22 of the first 23 games averaging 9.4 mpg, but 8 of the last 10 for only 4.6 mpg. By the way, Garrett played 25.1 mpg through the first 23 and 23.4 mpg over the last 10, so he actually saw less time over those 10 games.

I hope EO has a great senior year, however, if we sign another big, your speculations go right out the window.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
          You guys obviously remember more about Dreiling than I do. I remember that he wasn't very good offensively but after he went to KU, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to him. What is your connection to him? I watched the replay (just a couple of months ago) of the LSU game his freshman year at WSU and he didn't do much offensively. Whoever said that EO was stiff earlier, Dreiling was the description of "stiff".
          No connection, I simply looked up the stats. I was PO'd when he left to join his girlfriend at KU. By the way, his college career points are more than Durley, Miller, Cousinard and almost one season's worth more than Stutz.

Comment

Isn't it about time for somebody to mention how long this thread is? :)
            An insane amount of pages long. That's how long it is. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              As for the short bench being the reason EO didn't play more over the last 10 games: Tekele did play about 2 mpg less than before, but still averaged 8.3 mpg. For the season, White played in only 21 games. However, he played in only 13 of the first 23 averaging 7.9 mpg when he played, but 8 of the last 10 for a 6.1 mpg. EO played in 22 of the first 23 games averaging 9.4 mpg, but 8 of the last 10 for only 4.6 mpg. By the way, Garrett played 25.1 mpg through the first 23 and 23.4 mpg over the last 10, so he actually saw less time over those 10 games.

I hope EO has a great senior year, however, if we sign another big, your speculations go right out the window.
              Can't and won't argue your stats - I'm not about to look them up. Sure if we sign another big it would change things; if we sign Wiggins it would change speculations on others also. Garrett probably saw less time in the last 10 games due to foul trouble - that's just a guess. I would imagine Hall/White picked up that extra 1.7 minutes?

The bench was shorter - maybe some of the minutes shifted a bit, but I think it was shorter. You said Tekele averaged less - how about Kyles? Without looking it up, I would think Joe, Demetric, Toure, and Ben played more. So, I would guess Carl and Jake took Garrett's extra 1.7?

On the subject of signing another big or guard - all speculations going out the window. Your speculation that my speculatons go right out the window is purely speculation on your part.:) We could sign another big that garners the playing time of the recently departed, but that too would only be speculation.

Comment

• I think a Troy Mack comparison might be more accurate. If he has a senior year close to Troy Mack, I'll be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  You guys obviously remember more about Dreiling than I do. I remember that he wasn't very good offensively but after he went to KU, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to him. What is your connection to him? I watched the replay (just a couple of months ago) of the LSU game his freshman year at WSU and he didn't do much offensively. Whoever said that EO was stiff earlier, Dreiling was the description of "stiff".
                  I don't have a major connection except I was at South the same time Dreiling was at KMC. He is not my dog in the fight, however he was anything but a stiff. He was a McDonalds AA. I don't know exactly what his FT% was, but for a big it was very good (maybe mid-to-high 70%). He didn't block everything, but I would imagine he swatted away 1 or 2 a game. No, he wasn't nearly as athletic as EO is, but he played and excelled on every level he played. I don't know who you are referring to as to calling EO a stiff, it wasn't me. What is holding EO back is his basketball acumen (or as some put it IQ). Even though EO is very bright, smart and a great example off the court, his ability to execute on the floor according to the coaches standards hasn't met the expectations of a player with 125+ pages (this is for your vancedave56) on this board. Too many on SN are just mesmerized by his potential and forget that results are what's important at the end of the day. Remember, potential has a shelf life...in regard to college basketball in EO's case, it lasts less than one more year. My potential for EO next year is 14 minutes/4 ppg/6-7 rpg/2 bpg.

Comment

• It wasn't said that Dreiling was "a" stiff; it was said that he was just stiff. On EO, we'll just have to wait and see what next year brings. We can all predict whatever we want, that and 25...50...whatever cents it is now will get us a cup of coffee. :)

Comment

It wasn't said that Dreiling was "a" stiff; it was said that he was just stiff. On EO, we'll just have to wait and see what next year brings. We can all predict whatever we want, that and 25...50...whatever cents it is now will get us a cup of coffee. :)
                      Thanks for the "stiff" clarification. I will leave it at that (lol).

Comment

• "You lost some credibility when you put Bill Russell, and Anthony Davis as equals to Greg Dreiling, and Greg Ostertag. Dreiling ate up a lot of space but he didn't have a very good college career. However, he did make it as a back up pro. EO may have a college career that is as good as Dreiling. He can block a lot more shots and all Dreiling could do is dunk it."

Greg Dreiling's college career blocked shots total was 173. That would have ranked him 2nd on the all time Shocker list, 36 behind Antoine Carr and 41 ahead of Robert Elmore. As a back up with the Shockers his Freshman year, he averaged 8.1 points and followed that up with 9.7, 13.1 & 11.6 with KU. Then, he had a 10 year NBA career. Of all ex Shockers, only Carr, Levingston, and McDaniel had NBA careers that long. Stallworth would have had it not been for his heart attack.

We can be angry about Dreiling leaving WSU all we want, but he had both a nice college career as well as a good NBA career. He was not a super star, but he was certainly a good player.

We all know about the story of him following his girlfriend to KU, but maybe we forget about the fact that after his Freshman year, the team was investigated by the NCAA resulting in sanctions. That certainly could have had something to do with the decision to leave.

I for one would have loved for him to have stayed at WSU for 3 more years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Rocky Mountain Shock tried to make some connection between EO & Davis
                          No.

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          I'm not going to compare EO with Davis--Davis is in a league of his own
                          @Aargh: summarized my point well when he said "EO needs some improvement, but he's not the offensive liability that some posters seem to dwell on. "
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I believe most bigs look terrible until they are giving the opportunity to play consistent minutes in every game. Based on everything I have seen I believe he will be a big time contributor next season if the roster stays intact.

He is already a huge plus for the defense in any type of press situation. He has shown an ability to impact the type of shots that occur in the lane in a half court situation.

If you believe minutes matter my prediction is at the least reasonable. If you do not believe minutes matter the position that he will be a small role player is reasonable. Which side of this question do you agree with

Comment

• Carl Hall will make him better in the off season.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• And actually .. will make him better in games too.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X