Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    He has a rare combination of height and athleticism, is ripped, and the stuff he lacks can be learned. Look for him to start in the d-league and work his way up. He will play in the NBA, if he continues to play ball. He is simply too rare.
    The NBA is a game of offense. Defense is just a component of the game to get the ball back. There are too many Kevin Love's in the game today that are way more attractive than a 7-footers that have height, athleticism & ripped...but zero offensive game. You still have to play between the lines...both ways. He will certainly get a shot to play beyond college, just not in the NBA.

Comment

• I'm saying they will teach him the offensive game. No, he is no Kevin Love. He is more of a Bill Russell.

***And D is valued in the finals. :smilet-digitalpoint
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
        I'm saying they will teach him the offensive game. No, he is no Kevin Love. He is more of a Bill Russell.

***And D is valued in the finals. :smilet-digitalpoint
        Make a better attempt at an example. Russell helped win 2 national titles, was the final 4 MVP his final year, averaged 20 points & 20 rebounds during his career. There is a common theme regardless of who (Love, Russell) is used as an example...the threat of an offensive game.

EO is a fun curiosity to follow...but at the end of the day this curiosity will hopefully get about 12-14 minutes per game next year, then follow the money over seas and probably do ok...not a chance at the NBA...sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          Make a better attempt at an example. Russell helped win 2 national titles, was the final 4 MVP his final year, averaged 20 points & 20 rebounds during his career. There is a common theme regardless of who (Love, Russell) is used as an example...the threat of an offensive game.

EO is a fun curiosity to follow...but at the end of the day this curiosity will hopefully get about 12-14 minutes per game next year, then follow the money over seas and probably do ok...not a chance at the NBA...sorry.
          It's all a matter of opinion...just stating it over and over in either direction doesn't make it more relevant...just overstated. All we can do is wait until next season and observe...unless somebody here can factually see the future (not just opinionated).

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
            It's all a matter of opinion...just stating it over and over in either direction doesn't make it more relevant...just overstated. All we can do is wait until next season and observe...unless somebody here can factually see the future (not just opinionated).
            Opinion...uh, yea...that's what I am offering. I'm glad you caught that. lol

Comment

• A comparison that bodes well for EO and his future.

Louisville center Gorgui Dieng has come a long way -- both on and off the court -- since he left Kebemer, Senegal, and came to the United States three years ago.

Gorgui Dieng living his dream
              March, 27, 2012
              MAR 27

By Eamonn Brennan
              Louisville center Gorgui Dieng has come a long way -- both on and off the court -- since he left Kebemer, Senegal, and came to the United States three years ago. He arrived as a bean pole with minimal skills and no grasp of the English language. Last week, his shot-blocking and rebounding has taken his Louisville team to the Final Four, and to the precipice of one of the biggest and most dramatic Final Four matchups in modern history.

Dieng's continued development is one of the key reasons the Cardinals have their shot at intrastate drama Saturday. You can read my profile on the big man (excerpted below) right here.

Comment

• Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                A comparison that bodes well for EO and his future.

Louisville center Gorgui Dieng has come a long way -- both on and off the court -- since he left Kebemer, Senegal, and came to the United States three years ago.

March, 27, 2012
                MAR 27

By Eamonn Brennan
                Louisville center Gorgui Dieng has come a long way -- both on and off the court -- since he left Kebemer, Senegal, and came to the United States three years ago. He arrived as a bean pole with minimal skills and no grasp of the English language. Last week, his shot-blocking and rebounding has taken his Louisville team to the Final Four, and to the precipice of one of the biggest and most dramatic Final Four matchups in modern history.

Dieng's continued development is one of the key reasons the Cardinals have their shot at intrastate drama Saturday. You can read my profile on the big man (excerpted below) right here.
                As I've said a number of times, rebounding a defense from that position can be just as valuable as offensive production. As long as there are people around him who can score, (Hall, Williams, White, Early, Baker....) you can be very effective with an athletic big that can disrupt the other team.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                  A comparison that bodes well for EO and his future.

March, 27, 2012
                  MAR 27

By Eamonn Brennan

I would feel better about the comparison if EO came out of a prep school where he averaged 15 points, 13 rebounds & 7 blocked shots and was a top 40 recruit by Rivals and Scout. As a sophomore Dieng played 32 minutes a game for a team that has a SOS of 5. He also managed to score about 10 points a game. It appears Dieng is light years ahead of EO as a sophomore. Either he wasn't has much of a project case as EO, or he has much better coaching. With one year left I feel EO will give about 12-14 minutes of sold backup time at the 5 for Hall. He will rebound and block shots however while he is in the lineup.

Comment

• So he didn't score a lot. Who cares? By dominating defensively and on the boards, Anthony Davis completed his legend at Kentucky.

I would like to offer Anthony Davis' performance last night as evidence that a lanky 7 footer doesn't need to put on an offensive clinic to have a major impact in a game. Davis had just 6 points (6!) and went 1-10 from the field (1-10!)--BUT, he had 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 blocks and 3 steals. He blocked or altered nearly 16% of KU's shots.

I'm not going to compare EO with Davis--Davis is in a league of his own. But if EO can have a similar defensive impact next year for us, we don't need him to be a prolific scorer to be successful.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                      http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...is-leaves-mark

I would like to offer Anthony Davis' performance last night as evidence that a lanky 7 footer doesn't need to put on an offensive clinic to have a major impact in a game. Davis had just 6 points (6!) and went 1-10 from the field (1-10!)--BUT, he had 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 blocks and 3 steals. He blocked or altered nearly 16% of KU's shots.

I'm not going to compare EO with Davis--Davis is in a league of his own. But if EO can have a similar defensive impact next year for us, we don't need him to be a prolific scorer to be successful.
                      Good point and look at Withey also. He was awful on offense last night. I've not watched a lot of KU games this year. Is he always that bad?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...is-leaves-mark

+1
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Comparing EO to Withey & Davis is beyond crazy. They both had one off night offensively and scored 5 & 6 points respectively. EO will do well to score 5 or 6 points next year in any game.

The key for EO over the off-season is to get more comfortable in the offense so not to look so robotic & mechanical; to read the court better when we shoot the ball so he can be more effective on the offensive glass; and to be more selective in choosing which shots to block. He has a tendency to go after every shot, which gets him out of position too often. Watch the good shot blockers like Davis & Withey. They are very selective.

Comment

The two Gregs played in the NBA...Ostertag and Dreiling, enough said....... he has a chance

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
                              The two Gregs played in the NBA...Ostertag and Dreiling, enough said....... he has a chance
                              Slim & none is the chance. Nice kid, looks great in a uni, but unlike your "Gregs" examples, and Russell, EO has nothing going for him on the offensive end. Let's feel good about the 12-14 minutes he will backup Hall at the 5. I think he can do it.

Comment

Slim & none is the chance. Nice kid, looks great in a uni, but unlike your "Gregs" examples, and Russell, EO has nothing going for him on the offensive end. Let's feel good about the 12-14 minutes he will backup Hall at the 5. I think he can do it.
                                ...NM

Comment

Working...
                                X