No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see Hall playing 26-28 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
      Slim & none is the chance. Nice kid, looks great in a uni, but unlike your "Gregs" examples, and Russell, EO has nothing going for him on the offensive end. Let's feel good about the 12-14 minutes he will backup Hall at the 5. I think he can do it.
      This "sunshine pumper" hopes you're... :)

P.S. It's anyone's guess if EO ever gets it? Remember, he was a back-up to a frist team MVC player. Your glASS seems to be half empty.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Stutz took a beating from many of us before, and even during the season. Didn't he end up second in the voting for the league's most valuable player?
        In the fast lane

Comment

• Not many doubted Stutz's offensive prowess, especially after his junior campaign. The biggest questions for Stutz coming into this season were consistency and foul trouble. I disagree with @SHOXMVC: about him having trouble scoring 5-6 points a night. He should easily sneak in three dunks or lay in's a game because of his size and he will average 18-20 minutes a game.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• EO plays about 5 minutes as a SO & 7 minutes as a JR. And many SNrs made comments about how much EO progressed this season...2 minutes per game???

When you break down statistically over 40 minutes his 2 years as a Shocker are basically similar, although his blocks increased from 3.2-to-4.9.

Do I think he will improve between now and next year...YES. Do I think it will be overwhelming...NO. He will be a part of the rotation for sure.

I just think the majority of Shocker nation has been mesmerized about this 7-foot impressive looking athlete who can run fast and jump high. This type of specimen has never been seen in a Shocker uniform before. I get it. But throw basketball into the equation and that's where the benefit gets fuzzy. He is a great example of a student-athlete, and one that we are all very proud to call our own. Some on this board seem to think I am indicting him as a person. That is the farthest thing from the truth. It is just my opinion that expectations (see the 125+ pages), in general, were way over assumed.

He should give us 12-14 minutes per game and during that time he will give us some ahhhh moments. But people, please stop with these Bill Russell, Anthony Davis, Jeff Withey, Greg Dreiling and Greg Ostertag comparisions.

Comment

• What about Henry Carr, James Gibbs, and Garrett Stutz comparisons that saved their best for last? Their last Season was their best Season. EO has waited for his chance to shine. Mr. Stutz will be long gone. However, incoming is our best recruiting class ever in the Marshall regime. Is EO going to take the Valley by storm? He will get a fair shot to compete in practice and find his niche. Not every Shocker is a star. Not every Shocker is a starter. However, that does not mean such Shockers don't give us their all. Can we ask for more than that? This is my opinion and it is free of charge.

I am elated to have EO on our team. EO will give us his best efforts and I can't wait to see how that plays out. In the scheme of things, it impresses me that not every player is a Dave "the Rave" Stallworth but in a team sport such as basketball, there is no "One Man Band." In EO's case, he is every bit a Shocker as any Shocker that has ever worn the black and gold. Coach Marshall will expect EO's very best and I bet you, me, and Coach will get it. Stallworth and Bowman did not play the 2nd semester of their Senior year because they were not eligible. However, we still had our one and only visit to the Final 4. Who were these guys that continued on without these 2 stars? They were WSU Shockers that were unsung heros, played their role, and far exceeded the odds, and found success that made Shocker History!!!!!!!
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Slim & none is the chance. Nice kid, looks great in a uni, but unlike your "Gregs" examples, and Russell, EO has nothing going for him on the offensive end. Let's feel good about the 12-14 minutes he will backup Hall at the 5. I think he can do it.
                manute bol

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                  manute bol
                  May the 7-7 giant RIP.

Comment

EO plays about 5 minutes as a SO & 7 minutes as a JR. And many SNrs made comments about how much EO progressed this season...2 minutes per game???

When you break down statistically over 40 minutes his 2 years as a Shocker are basically similar, although his blocks increased from 3.2-to-4.9.

Do I think he will improve between now and next year...YES. Do I think it will be overwhelming...NO. He will be a part of the rotation for sure.

I just think the majority of Shocker nation has been mesmerized about this 7-foot impressive looking athlete who can run fast and jump high. This type of specimen has never been seen in a Shocker uniform before. I get it. But throw basketball into the equation and that's where the benefit gets fuzzy. He is a great example of a student-athlete, and one that we are all very proud to call our own. Some on this board seem to think I am indicting him as a person. That is the farthest thing from the truth. It is just my opinion that expectations (see the 125+ pages), in general, were way over assumed.

He should give us 12-14 minutes per game and during that time he will give us some ahhhh moments. But people, please stop with these Bill Russell, Anthony Davis, Jeff Withey, Greg Dreiling and Greg Ostertag comparisions.
                    You lost some credibility when you put Bill Russell, and Anthony Davis as equals to Greg Dreiling, and Greg Ostertag. Dreiling ate up a lot of space but he didn't have a very good college career. However, he did make it as a back up pro. EO may have a college career that is as good as Dreiling. He can block a lot more shots and all Dreiling could do is dunk it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      You lost some credibility when you put Bill Russell, and Anthony Davis as equals to Greg Dreiling, and Greg Ostertag. Dreiling ate up a lot of space but he didn't have a very good college career. However, he did make it as a back up pro. EO may have a college career that is as good as Dreiling. He can block a lot more shots and all Dreiling could do is dunk it.
                      Try reading the specifics of the thread before you pop off. shock compared EO to Russell; Rocky Mountain Shock tried to make some connection between EO & Davis; and WillieJeffJefferies mentioned Dreiling & Ostertag to EO. Thus my comment telling posters to cease comparing EO to these players. Before you go on a witch hunt, get the right witch.

While we are on the subject of credibility, you might want to take a time out from posting. Your statement about EO having potentially as good a college career as Dreiling is just plain stupid. When EO averages around 12 points per game over his career then pop off. Dreiling probably made 400-500 shots for his college career...I doubt they all were dunks.

Comment

• A lot of EO's improvement from his So to Jr years was basketball IQ and understanding the game and Marshall's system. He was (generally) in the right places at the right times and looked comfortable getting there and being there. He's the best screener I've seen at WSU in a long time. When Orukpe was in, Marshall changed the game to a post screening game instead of "score in the post" game. No stats for Orukpe in that game, but others got stats.

If defenders front him, he's big enough for an effective seal. If there's not a help defender on the other side of the lane, there's a lob pass and a thunder dunk coming. If a defender plays behind him, the guards can pretty much throw the ball over their defenders and high enough that only Orukpe can catch it. If he can develop a 5' - 7' turnaround over the summer, he coudl go for double-digit scoring.

Orukpe didn't score much, but he also didn't shoot much, so he wasn't necessarily a liability on offense this last year.

Some shooting percentages (pps = points scored divided by number of shots taken):
                        Wessel - 34.6% - many Shocker fans want him to see significant minutes next year - .81 pps
                        White - 39.5% - everybody is expectng him to get decent minutes next year - 1.11 pps
                        Kyles - 41.1% - 1.22 pps
                        Murry - 42.2% - 1.21 pps
                        Smith - 43.5% - 1.27 pps
                        Williams - 46.2% - 1.37 pps
                        Orukpe - 50% - 1.33 pps

While EO didn't score a lot, his scoring efficiency when he took a shot was really good. His turnovers hurt his scoring efficiency per touch, but he didn't take ill-advised shots. Stutz' pps was 1.43 Hall was at 1.48. EO needs some improvement, but he's not the offensive liability that some posters seem to dwell on.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Strong as horseradish.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            EO needs some improvement, but he's not the offensive liability that some posters seem to dwell on.
                            Apparently Marshall felt he was enough of a liability that over the last 10 games of the season he didn't play in 2. He logged more than 6 minutes only 1 time. Why was that? He couldn't be trusted. Even in blowout games like the 72-48 drubbing of ISU-R, EO played only 5 minutes. The pounding of sCUm, only 3 minutes. The slaying of NIU, only 3 minutes. That doesn't sound like improvement and confidence to me.

Having said that, I believe EO will improve enough to play when it matters 12-14 minutes per game. Aargh, you mentioned he could go for double-digit scoring with a 5'-7' turn around game. I hope you don't mean average double-digits. Yes, he might score in double digits a time or two, but average...

Comment

Apparently Marshall felt he was enough of a liability that over the last 10 games of the season he didn't play in 2. He logged more than 6 minutes only 1 time. Why was that? He couldn't be trusted. Even in blowout games like the 72-48 drubbing of ISU-R, EO played only 5 minutes. The pounding of sCUm, only 3 minutes. The slaying of NIU, only 3 minutes. That doesn't sound like improvement and confidence to me.

Having said that, I believe EO will improve enough to play when it matters 12-14 minutes per game. Aargh, you mentioned he could go for double-digit scoring with a 5'-7' turn around game. I hope you don't mean average double-digits. Yes, he might score in double digits a time or two, but average...
                              I really believe EO could have contributed much more. Surely everyone noticed how "short" our bench was towards the end of the season. Coach wanted to make "sure" we gave it our best shot. It doesn't mean EO, Evan, Jake, or Tekele couldn't have contributed more. Garrett played maximum minutes; that is the main reason EO didn't see the floor. Garrett was our best option, and he was a senior - Coach wanted him on the floor. Same with Joe & Toure'. Even Ben towards the end. We HAD to get to the Dance, and we had to make sure.

Nobody KNOWS what will happen next season - everything is speculation. I speculate EO will play 15-20 minutes a game and average 7 points, 9 rebounds, ad 4 blocks. I would also "speculate" that other predictions of 12-14 minutes will be the low end of the spectrum - that is the "safe" speculation. I would also "speculate" that it is possible for EO to average a double, double, with 5 blocks a game if he approaches 20-25 minutes per game. Staying out of foul trouble will likely be the key.

All speculation. We WILL find out next season.

Comment

Try reading the specifics of the thread before you pop off. shock compared EO to Russell; Rocky Mountain Shock tried to make some connection between EO & Davis; and WillieJeffJefferies mentioned Dreiling & Ostertag to EO. Thus my comment telling posters to cease comparing EO to these players. Before you go on a witch hunt, get the right witch.

While we are on the subject of credibility, you might want to take a time out from posting. Your statement about EO having potentially as good a college career as Dreiling is just plain stupid. When EO averages around 12 points per game over his career then pop off. Dreiling probably made 400-500 shots for his college career...I doubt they all were dunks.
                                Just to add to your point regarding Dreiling, he had 556 made FGs for 1443 total points in college. He didn't always dunk the ball....in the NBA, he was 5-11 from 3 for his 10 year career.

Comment

Working...
                                X