No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sources tell me that EO is suffering a bit with a case of turf toe. He's missed some practices recently as a result...

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
      In a little more than a year we all will get out first official taste of Ehimen in a Shocker jersey! Even if it is just a practice jersey.

Shocker Madness 2010 will be something!!!
      No Royal jinxes please. :good:
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe. Usually the result of athletic activities on a hard surface, turf toe is especially common in athletes who compete on artificial turf. Treatment of turf toe is usually helpful, but the condition can return.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• great.....isn't that what has been the problem with Ellis?
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• A couple of items read on another board . . .

The Sporting News has TRCC #1 in their preseason poll.

EO was "decent" during a recent scrimmage against Mineral Area CC.

Comment

• Two thoughts on that:

1. Turf toe he is still recovering from. Saw what it did to Ellis last year.

2. It is a JUCO. They don't pound it inside much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                Even with a 7 foot dunking machine inside?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
                  Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                  You mean a 7 foot dunking machine inside that already has offer and committed to a school? Why would a guy trying to earn his pass him the ball...again thinking like a player who needs a scholly.

Just remember, many JUCO players believe that basketball is spellled "basketMEball" .. meaning basketball revolves around me!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
                    You mean a 7 foot dunking machine inside that already has offer and committed to a school? Why would a guy trying to earn his pass him the ball...again thinking like a player who needs a scholly.

Just remember, many JUCO players believe that basketball is spellled "basketMEball" .. meaning basketball revolves around me!

You obviously aren't too familiar with Coach Gene Bess.....

Comment

• Actually, probably better than most on here...

Been to quite a few TRCC games over the years.

Marrs was a JUCO All-American, who only averaged 12 ppg despite shooting over 50% from field and 78% from the FT line.

Meanwhile Bingham and Carter pretty much dominated and controlled the game. In the games I saw, most of Marrs touches and points came on rebounds and out of control penetration.

Granted, I didn't see all the games, but I see couple a year, saw Griskenas before he signed with WSU, Dominatirx Johnson before him.

Not a knock on Coach Bess at all, but just my observations.

Comment

Actually, probably better than most on here...

Marrs was a JUCO All-American, who only averaged 12 ppg despite shooting over 50% from field and 78% from the FT line.

Meanwhile Bingham and Carter pretty much dominated and controlled the game. In the games I saw, most of Marrs touches and points came on rebounds and out of control penetration.

Granted, I didn't see all the games, but I see couple a year, saw Griskenas before he signed with WSU, Dominatirx Johnson before him.

Sorry. I guess I assumed you were making the common "JUCO players are a bunch of renegades and play as such" statement. Maybe I've been hanging around the Mizzou board too much. :whistle:

I really can't argue that recently(since 2003 anyway), TRCC's offense has been geared around their scoring PG's- Dom Johnson, Bryan Sherrer, Carter. Unlike some other programs, it's not due to lack of discipline that the guards are taking more shots. Historically, Bess' teams were famous for having undersized post players who were relentless in the paint and were the focus of the offense because they could FINISH. It's becoming more and more difficult to find skilled kids who are willing to play with their backs to the basket. Marrs had a nice touch in the paint, but he was frail and didn't really thrive on contact.

TRCC's expectations for EO will frankly be to rebound, block shots, and play a little inside-out with the perimeter shooters. He won't be a go-to guy on the offensive end. Aloysius Henry will probably see more touches with the opportunity/expectation to score....

So, what were your impressions of Mantas at TRCC? To be frank, I never saw what the fuss was. He seemed to lack focus and a sense of purpose. As a rebounder, he had a really good nose for the ball and good timing. Yet, he seemed content to just roam the perimeter most of the time and often waited for the game to come to him.....

Comment

• Originally posted by marcus aurelius
                          Actually, probably better than most on here...

Sorry. I guess I assumed you were making the common "JUCO players are a bunch of renegades and play as such" statement. Maybe I've been hanging around the Mizzou board too much. :whistle:

I really can't argue that recently(since 2003 anyway), TRCC's offense has been geared around their scoring PG's- Dom Johnson, Bryan Sherrer, Carter. Unlike some other programs, it's not due to lack of discipline that the guards are taking more shots. Historically, Bess' teams were famous for having undersized post players who were relentless in the paint and were the focus of the offense because they could FINISH. It's becoming more and more difficult to find skilled kids who are willing to play with their backs to the basket. Marrs had a nice touch in the paint, but he was frail and didn't really thrive on contact.

TRCC's expectations for EO will frankly be to rebound, block shots, and play a little inside-out with the perimeter shooters. He won't be a go-to guy on the offensive end. Aloysius Henry will probably see more touches with the opportunity/expectation to score....

So, what were your impressions of Mantas at TRCC? To be frank, I never saw what the fuss was. He seemed to lack focus and a sense of purpose. As a rebounder, he had a really good nose for the ball and good timing. Yet, he seemed content to just roam the perimeter most of the time and often waited for the game to come to him.....
                          Mantas I thought was a good player, and I was excited we signed him. I had watched him play twice I think, maybe three. The last was against an Arkansas team I think and he lit them up for 20 or so, and had such a smooth stroke, and with his height had no issues getting it off. He did have a nose for rebounding, and seemed to go hard for them every time. He was very perimeter oriented, but he took the ball to the whole a couple times after making a 3 and then the defense was totally on their heels.

He would have been a great player if not for first knee injury, and I think would have had a very good senior year if not for the 2nd.

I think he was discouraged by the control the guards had, and they didn't seem to like to give up the rock early, they held it that bit too long allowing either a steal, bad pass, or defender cutting off his lane.

Comment

• During Mantas' junior year, it was reported that he was a very good 3 ball shooter, during practices. However, during games, he struggled quite a bit.

Near the end of his junior year, he seemed to improve. Therefore, fans were optimistic about his future senior year. Alas, he suffered the knee injury and was never able to perform even on a mediocre level.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Even though he had trouble hitting the shot you could see he had good form and nice touch. For some reason they just wouldn't fall.

Had he not had the knee injury he would have had a fine SR season.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Hmmm...

Ah, yes, the Griskenas chapter of the Orukpe thread, the latest in a variety of diversions. This is how you get to 87 pages (and counting). Surely 100 can't be far away.

Comment

Working...
                                X