Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever
    I could've started another thread. But this article had a lot of EO in it, so when in doubt, post in the 86-pager..

http://www.kansas.com/sports/shockers/story/988221.html
    :good:
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• It seems that there is quite a bit of subliminal expression of the limits of EOs offensive abilities. A seven footer doesn't have to have the array of shots that others do to be great but I hope comments like "he is developing a little jump hook" and similar ones that I have heard over time don't mean that he can't do things like banking the 3 and 4 foot putbacks that are necessary for someone like him to be successful. If he is no offensive threat in the low post then his effectiveness is still going to be limited.

Comment

• If he's 3 to 4 feet away he won't need to bank it in. He's going to try and throw it down or get fouled in the process
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse
          It seems that there is quite a bit of subliminal expression of the limits of EOs offensive abilities. A seven footer doesn't have to have the array of shots that others do to be great but I hope comments like "he is developing a little jump hook" and similar ones that I have heard over time don't mean that he can't do things like banking the 3 and 4 foot putbacks that are necessary for someone like him to be successful. If he is no offensive threat in the low post then his effectiveness is still going to be limited.
          I haven't seen the big guy from Tulsa play...so I may be off. EO's abilities sounds a lot like what I have read on Jordan (a NBA prospect) from Tulsa. He's long, quick for his size, athletic, shot blocker and rebounder. I'll take that any day.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I like the reported weight of 255. It looks like some day we'll have two 7' guys who weigh in around 270.

Bill Russell was never known for his offensive ability. I don't mean to make a comparison between Russell and Orukpe. I just want to point out that the lack of a proven offensive game doesn't mean a player cannot be successful.

Orukpe brings to mind the front court players for Syracuse the last time we played them. Those guys didn't really do much other than stuff the ball.

Maybe the need to develop and work on offensive skills means Orukpe uses all 4 years of his college eligibility. If he had a great offensive skill set to go with his size, speed, and shot-blocking, he wouldn't play in the NCAA very long.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan
              Originally posted by Ashockalypse
              It seems that there is quite a bit of subliminal expression of the limits of EOs offensive abilities. A seven footer doesn't have to have the array of shots that others do to be great but I hope comments like "he is developing a little jump hook" and similar ones that I have heard over time don't mean that he can't do things like banking the 3 and 4 foot putbacks that are necessary for someone like him to be successful. If he is no offensive threat in the low post then his effectiveness is still going to be limited.
              I haven't seen the big guy from Tulsa play...so I may be off. EO's abilities sounds a lot like what I have read on Jordan (a NBA prospect) from Tulsa. He's long, quick for his size, athletic, shot blocker and rebounder. I'll take that any day.
              All I want is as follows:

1. Rebounding
              2. Shot blocking
              3. 70% free throw shooting.

I don't care about anything else.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• All I want is as follows:

1. Rebounding
                2. Shot blocking
                4. Beating Northern Iowa at least once.

Fixed!
                Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

• I thought the article was encouraging. We all know that EO is going to be “raw” offensively – but that can be taught.

A lot of centers in college were initially more known for their defensive ability. Aargh brought up Russell so, at great risk, I’ll bring up Patrick Ewing. When Ewing first started out in college he was primarily known for his defense and his offensive game developed over time.

I don’t know where EO is compared to other “great” college centers at the same point in their careers (and I don’t really want to start drawing unfounded comparisons); however, if the kid can provide a defensive presence in the middle to start – that is something WSU has not had in a very long time and I for one will be very happy. I just hope he can stay out of foul trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
                    Originally posted by shockerfan
                    Originally posted by Ashockalypse
                    All I want is as follows:

1. Rebounding
                    2. Shot blocking

Uncle Ricky has simple needs. :good:
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Offensively all he has to do is hold his position on the block and he'll be fine. That and his rebounding will be all that's required of him to begin. He'll develop more over time.

Defensively he's exactly what we need. A big strong athletic presence in the middle who will block and/or redirect shots and lower out opponents FG%.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Patrick O'Bryant was not polished offensively. I hope we get more out of EO than Bradley got out of POB, who really could have used more experience in college.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                          If he's 3 to 4 feet away he won't need to bank it in. He's going to throw it down and get fouled in the process
                          FIXED!!

Comment

• You really don't need much offense from your center if your guards & forwards are scoring in bunches--which I hope we will have established before he gets here.

Comment

• I wonder if EO likes sardines in mustard sauce?

Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

• In a little more than a year we all will get out first official taste of Ehimen in a Shocker jersey! Even if it is just a practice jersey.

Shocker Madness 2010 will be something!!!
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X