No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if he gave UNC a pass for losing to UNI.

Comment

• Hey look, an analyst that isn't going off the deep end on WSU. Calls WSU "The best 5-5 team he's ever seen"

Get NCAA Men's College Basketball news, scores, stats, poll rankings & more for your favorite college teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Comment

• This is not media love, but it IS the unvarnished truth:

Our FG percentage is in the lowest third of the NCAA. If we could just get Evan out on the floor more, perhaps sit Shaq and McDuffie, perhaps Evan can lead us to that magic berth in the NIT we've been waiting the last 3 years for........after all Evan is SO tough.........

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
          This is not media love, but it IS the unvarnished truth:

Our FG percentage is in the lowest third of the NCAA. If we could just get Evan out on the floor more, perhaps sit Shaq and McDuffie, perhaps Evan can lead us to that magic berth in the NIT we've been waiting the last 3 years for........after all Evan is SO tough.........
          I don't understand what you're wanting here. Who has shown they are deserving of wessels minutes on either end of the court? From what I've seen ew has played almost completely at the 4 with mm and brown splitting mins at the 3. Kelly has regressed from last year. None of the three headed monster has shown they deserve any more mins than they are getting. With Grady back that possibly changes moving forward but that's not what you're referring to. Do you think mm has the size (strength not height) to defend and rebound against a 4? Who should have been getting the majority of minutes at the four/five in your perfect world?

Comment

• I most certainly think MM can play the 4 better than Wessel. And I disagree with your assessment of the 4's we have.

And why is Wessel jacking up 3's we all know he can't make with the game on the line? With that lack of discipline, we might as well be playing our UC's.

I predicted earlier Wessel would cost us a game down the line. Now that it has happened, if things don't start changing, I predict he will cost us more games down the line. Again, he has not progressed during his career and he's an offensive liability when we need firepower.

Note I'm fine with him being out on the floor at certain times, it's just his lack of progress makes him harder and harder to hide when we hit dry spells.

Comment

• On the Coaches Show when answering a question, Marshall made sure to emphasize extra possessions. Wessel gives us extra possessions with his rebounding and ability to grab loose balls. He will continue to play solid minutes under Marshall as long as he is better at those 2 things than other players.

Is Wessel an offensive liability? Yes. Is he a bad 3-pt shooter? I have always thought so. But Marshall gets paid millions of dollars to play who he decides to play. Is he making the wrong choice? Maybe, but his ability in coaching other facets of the game makes up for it, at least enough to earn a couple million dollars yearly.

Comment

I most certainly think MM can play the 4 better than Wessel. And I disagree with your assessment of the 4's we have.

And why is Wessel jacking up 3's we all know he can't make with the game on the line? With that lack of discipline, we might as well be playing our UC's.

I predicted earlier Wessel would cost us a game down the line. Now that it has happened, if things don't start changing, I predict he will cost us more games down the line. Again, he has not progressed during his career and he's an offensive liability when we need firepower.

Note I'm fine with him being out on the floor at certain times, it's just his lack of progress makes him harder and harder to hide when we hit dry spells.
                Can't recall ever seeing mm as our 4. Does he even know the offensive sets from the 4 position? Or shall we just run ISO all game? The only other options at that point would have been Kelly and possibly Hamilton. Really haven't seen enough of Hamilton to know anything and I really don't feel that Kelly brings anything more (and probably less with his propensity to foul on the defensive end) than wessel. Don't get me wrong, I completely wish we had someone with more offense/athleticism/height to play at the 4 but saying he cost us this game? C'mon man. Even if you play mm at the 4 this game who plays the 3? Brown had a terrible game and was in foul trouble all game. Do Fvv Ron and cf play 40 minutes at that point? I just don't see how you get around it. If Kelly can get it going and/or Grady start playing back to form I agree with you but that just hasn't been the case to this point.

Comment

I most certainly think MM can play the 4 better than Wessel. And I disagree with your assessment of the 4's we have.

He was 2-3 on three's when you complain that he was jacking up threes (two of them) at the end of the game. It would be great to know in advance if a shot attempt was going to be successful, but sadly that is not information at hand when the decision is made to shoot or not shoot. Geez, we even miss dunks on occasion. Nonetheless, EW's 2-3 or 2-4 or 2-5 compares favorably to CF's 3 of 7. EW did miss his only two-point attempt, however, where Connor made his.

On the season, EW is shooting threes at 10-37, 27%. CF is 4-14, a whopping 28.6%. But CF is improving from his oh-fer start, I guess.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop View Post
                    Can't recall ever seeing mm as our 4. Does he even know the offensive sets from the 4 position? Or shall we just run ISO all game? The only other options at that point would have been Kelly and possibly Hamilton. Really haven't seen enough of Hamilton to know anything and I really don't feel that Kelly brings anything more (and probably less with his propensity to foul on the defensive end) than wessel. Don't get me wrong, I completely wish we had someone with more offense/athleticism/height to play at the 4 but saying he cost us this game? C'mon man. Even if you play mm at the 4 this game who plays the 3? Brown had a terrible game and was in foul trouble all game. Do Fvv Ron and cf play 40 minutes at that point? I just don't see how you get around it. If Kelly can get it going and/or Grady start playing back to form I agree with you but that just hasn't been the case to this point.
                    McDuffie did play the 4 for a few minutes in St Louis I think. It was Fred, Ron, Zach, Markis on the court. Not that I agree that he should be playing the four and Wessel should sit.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      He was 2-3 on three's when you complain that he was jacking up threes (two of them) at the end of the game. It would be great to know in advance if a shot attempt was going to be successful, but sadly that is not information at hand when the decision is made to shoot or not shoot. Geez, we even miss dunks on occasion. Nonetheless, EW's 2-3 or 2-4 or 2-5 compares favorably to CF's 3 of 7. EW did miss his only two-point attempt, however, where Connor made his.

On the season, EW is shooting threes at 10-37, 27%. CF is 4-14, a whopping 28.6%. But CF is improving from his oh-fer start, I guess.
                      So where did I mention Frankamp? I didn't, but I will now. He should have taken one of those shots except, for some inexplicable reason passed it to Wessel, who predictably missed. That was one of the two shots IIRC.

And Connor will improve. Wessel is a 5th year senior, without much upside. He's only hit well from the 3 in one game. Perhaps he needs to pretend we're playing KU every game.

Comment

So where did I mention Frankamp? I didn't, but I will now. He should have taken one of those shots except, for some inexplicable reason passed it to Wessel, who predictably missed. That was one of the two shots IIRC.

And Connor will improve. Wessel is a 5th year senior, without much upside. He's only hit well from the 3 in one game. Perhaps he needs to pretend we're playing KU every game.
                        Where did I say you mentioned Cf?
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

This is not media love, but it IS the unvarnished truth:

If you really hate Evan so much, why do you even like the Shockers? Please leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                            If you really hate Evan so much, why do you even like the Shockers? Please leave.
                            Who said I hate Evan. I just don't think he's deserving the playing time he's getting. If liking the Shockers means liking Evan, perhaps you need a psychiatrist to figure yourself out. There's around 15 guys on the team. I think about 8 or 9 of them deserve more minutes than Evan.

Last I remember this is a free country and I'm entitled to my opinion, even though you want to twist it to fit whatever story you've told yourself about me.

Comment

Who said I hate Evan. I just don't think he's deserving the playing time he's getting. If liking the Shockers means liking Evan, perhaps you need a psychiatrist to figure yourself out. There's around 15 guys on the team. I think about 8 or 9 of them deserve more minutes than Evan.

Last I remember this is a free country and I'm entitled to my opinion, even though you want to twist it to fit whatever story you've told yourself about me.
                              I only halfway agree with your opinion. I think he deserves his minutes. He works hard .. really hard. He gains us possessions.. That said ... There are 4 or 5 other people that should be shooting 3's at the end of the game before him. Conner, Ron, Fred, Markis, ZB in that order ... in my opinon. They have all been proven to be our best 3 point shooters, not Evan. He does a lot, but making clutch threes seems to be the exception, not the rule for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                                I don't need to defend @shocka khan:, but to debate/discuss/cuss Evan's amount of playing time is valid. I have both praised and criticized Evan's play which is fair because, while he has definite attributes, he also has glaring short comings.

He's a valued senior, leads by example with his hustle, fights for every ball remotely around him, and has had every good offensive games at times.

He's playing the second most minutes on the team so far (that by default) and played a lot of minutes against SH without the offensive stats to back up those minutes at certain times of the game. He also does not draw fouls. He has shot exactly 1 FT this season (and missed it) with only JRS going 0-2 and Zach Bush/Nurger having not taken a shot. Next fewest is Ty who is 3-4 in 100 minutes (vs Evan's 263 minutes). Evan has shot the second most 3s at 37 making only 10 (.270). Ron is first at 60 (.367), next is McDuffie at 24 (.500). Of the players who have shot 3s, only Grady, JRS, Z Bush, Kelly and Brown have a worse %. He is next to last in FG %. He's in the middle of the pack in rebounding.

There is room for debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X