No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connor hit two key FT's and his two 3's which kept us in the game. Unfortunately, it was not enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
      Connor hit two key FT's and his two 3's which kept us in the game. Unfortunately, it was not enough.
      Why do you say Conner's 3's were more significant than Fred's 4-6, Ron's 2-5, Evan's 2-5, Markis's 2-5, or Rashard's 1-1? They all shot a higher percentage than Conner.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, Kai. Nice to have someone putting some actual information out here as opposed to name-calling and insults. And that's even though some of the stats you have posted don't entirely agree with what I've seen (but I always prefer analysis to what people 'see' because it has a factual base to it).

Keep up the great work!
        You're welcome. I really think that last reply of mine that deals with Wessel's high 3 point attempt games really shines a spot light on just how much the team is relying on Wessel for offense right now. I think more than anything it's eye opening to how much offense we're lacking right now to seasons past. I think Tekele did a lot of silent things that we're now just realizing how much he provided. I think a lot of us took Cotton's ability to just "show up" when needed as something to expect, not something to truly admire and appreciate.

If I had to give one excuse for this year's disappointing start that isn't "injuries" I'd say graduating Tekele Cotton. What an amazing player Cotton was, man do I miss him.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          You're welcome. I really think that last reply of mine that deals with Wessel's high 3 point attempt games really shines a spot light on just how much the team is relying on Wessel for offense right now. I think more than anything it's eye opening to how much offense we're lacking right now to seasons past. I think Tekele did a lot of silent things that we're now just realizing how much he provided. I think a lot of us took Cotton's ability to just "show up" when needed as something to expect, not something to truly admire and appreciate.

If I had to give one excuse for this year's disappointing start that isn't "injuries" I'd say graduating Tekele Cotton. What an amazing player Cotton was, man do I miss him.
          Its not just Tekele its Darius that we are missing on offense. We have no inside presence. Last year during the non con Darius put up these numbers:

Opponent Min FGM FGA Points
          New Mexico State 12 4 10 9
          Memphis 23 6 13 12
          Newman 13 6 10 15
          Tulsa 18 6 9 14
          Utah 17 4 6 10
          St Louis 16 1 3 4
          Seton Hall 31 8 12 16
          Detroit 29 7 11 18
          Alabama 31 6 11 16
          Loyola Mary 18 4 6 12
          Hawaii 27 4 8 10
          GW 37 3 10 7
          I haven't run the numbers for our Centers this year, but I don't believe they are putting up anything nearly efficient as that, even in a full 40 minutes of playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
            Thank you.

SK isn't going to agree because he doesn't understand the game. He equates players who shoot as the only recipe to winning a game. There is a LOT more that goes into it, trust me.

Watching HCGM's offense is required material to understand how valuable EW is to others GETTING the shot off.

Coaches have players at the D-1 level play intense defense at the next level. They don't just stand back and allow a teams designated sniper freedom to fire away at will
            EW does the dirty work involved, including both high and low screens to free guys like FVV, RB & ZB to get space to release and shoot.

Most on here appreciate his hustle and diving for any loose ball and you can be assured HCGM also places high value on it.
            But EW also knows what and how HCGM wants things to operate and does them without hesitation or reservation.

HCGM's offensive sets are complicated and are not for those short on smarts. They are based on several players, all doing their part to achieve success.

In short, EW sees the whole picture of an offense and its design, not just the final piece of the puzzle who happens to fire away at the hoop.
            He is invaluable and needs to be on the court as much as possible.

There are those who may disagree, but they aren't getting paid 3M+/year to make those decisions for a reason.

That is all.
            Look, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not automatically mean "they don't understand the game". Your condescending, holier than thou attitude towards people you don't agree with is truly disgusting.

Comment

We surely miss Cotton. He just always seemed to get that huge rebound, or make the scintillating drive and finish or the big three-ball. Defensively he fit so well with Ron and Fred -- Fred applying ball pressure, Ron playing in the shirt of his opponent and Cotton either playing total deny or sagging back and lurching for the steal at just the right moment.

I think Carter, too, knowing the help defense was huge defensively as well.

We'll get there. We have had only half the total practices with our main guys healthy to fully participate.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                Look, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not automatically mean "they don't understand the game". Your condescending, holier than thou attitude towards people you don't agree with is truly disgusting.
                I wholeheartedly agree. When Shock Ref talks, quite frequently he is talking about how he is 'feeling', as in 'In short EW sees the whole picture of an offense and its design.....'. Claims like this are really subjective and are difficult to back up.

As Judge Judy says (and Kai has pointed out so well this afternoon) 'Feelings are for Dr. Phil.'

And I also think Kai has found the missing link in his analysis and related postings regarding Tekele and Darius. Perhaps we've been fooled into a complacent attitude and the players we had that have moved on actually meant a heckuva' lot more to the team than any one of us realized.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree. When Shock Ref talks, quite frequently he is talking about how he is 'feeling', as in 'In short EW sees the whole picture of an offense and its design.....'. Claims like this are really subjective and are difficult to back up.

As Judge Judy says (and Kai has pointed out so well this afternoon) 'Feelings are for Dr. Phil.'

And I also think Kai has found the missing link in his analysis and related postings regarding Tekele and Darius. Perhaps we've been fooled into a complacent attitude and the players we had that have moved on actually meant a heckuva' lot more to the team than any one of us realized.
                  I honestly believe we have players to replace those 2 that are more talented than them. My question is ... do we have too many? Is the uncertainty of playing time actually hurting development? We've been all over the board with rotations, no one seems to really know who is going to play and when. Should we have nailed down someone that appears to have the most potential and just let them run with it?

That's just my uneducated thoughts. I'm not paid to make those decisions.

Comment

• Not exactly media love (neither media nor love, really), but Warren Nolan has now flipped WSU and the UNI's in his predicted final Valley standings. Last week he had WSU to finish 16-2 with UNI 14-4 in second; now it's exactly the opposite: the gang from Cedar Falls at 16-2 with WSU second at 14-4.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Not exactly media love (neither media nor love, really), but Warren Nolan has now flipped WSU and the UNI's in his predicted final Valley standings. Last week he had WSU to finish 16-2 with UNI 14-4 in second; now it's exactly the opposite: the gang from Cedar Falls at 16-2 with WSU second at 14-4.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but I'll believe that when I see it.
                      People are quick to jump ship. All 5 of our losses are to Top 60 RPI teams. UNI has a bad loss at home vs CSU, and 2 losses that aren't bad RPI wise, but were blowouts. They seem to play up or down to their competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        I honestly believe we have players to replace those 2 that are more talented than them. My question is ... do we have too many? Is the uncertainty of playing time actually hurting development? We've been all over the board with rotations, no one seems to really know who is going to play and when. Should we have nailed down someone that appears to have the most potential and just let them run with it?

That's just my uneducated thoughts. I'm not paid to make those decisions.
                        I would agree with you, but where are they? Who are they? No one's really stepping up. Perhaps we need to see a little TT at SG.

I think Shamet definitely would have been one of those that could have stood up. His injury might have hurt us far more than we realize.

Comment

I would agree with you, but where are they? Who are they? No one's really stepping up. Perhaps we need to see a little TT at SG.

I think Shamet definitely would have been one of those that could have stood up. His injury might have hurt us far more than we realize.
                          Agreed, Shamet being out really hurts. He is the true Tekele replacement.

So in replacement of Tekele it has to be Markis or Zach. With them splitting time, do either of them have a chance to really develop? Honest question?

Darius's replacment is Grady ... we haven't had him. I don't think Rauno or BW will ever be forces. Shaq on the other hand could be. Do we just force him into more playing time? He has the most potential, but tires out. Do you make him work through that? I don't know ha

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            People are quick to jump ship.
                            This seems to be where Shockernet is right now. This team will get it figured out and the RPI geniuses don't know exactly how it will look in February/March. Gregg is the best coach WSU has ever had and we have talent on this team even if we've had to depend on youth too much. I seem to remember several times that Shockernet doubted Gregg during our Final 4 season too. Patience is a good thing.

Comment

@_kai_: , the one thing that stands out to me is that Evan has taken those 13 3s in the last two games where we had added CF to the mix for being a sniper, Fred was back taking 29 shots, 9 being 3s making 5, and McDuffie was 6-10 from 3. Even if Ron is being covered up by the opposing teams' best defender, it appears we have other options for the 3. Why is it needed that Evan take 13 3s in those two games (I'm asking, not criticizing Evan)? It's not due to injuries as Fred is back (and shooting) and CF has been added. It has been said that we are lacking an inside game (I agree), but Evan shooting 13 3s with Ron, Fred, Markis, and Conner for that doesn't seem to help that inside game.

Also, regarding the inside game and whoever mentioned not having Carter. Remember, Grady was averaging 10.5 ppg before Alabama.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                @_kai_ , the one thing that stands out to me is that Evan has taken those 13 3s in the last two games where we had added CF to the mix for being a sniper, Fred was back taking 29 shots, 9 being 3s making 5, and McDuffie was 6-10 from 3. Even if Ron is being covered up by the opposing teams' best defender, it appears we have other options for the 3. Why is it needed that Evan take 13 3s in those two games (I'm asking, not criticizing Evan)? It's not due to injuries as Fred is back (and shooting) and CF has been added. It has been said that we are lacking an inside game (I agree), but Evan shooting 13 3s with Ron, Fred, Markis, and Conner for that doesn't seem to help that inside game.

Also, regarding the inside game and whoever mentioned not having Carter. Remember, Grady was averaging 10.5 ppg before Alabama.
                                In regard to that last spot. If he can get back to that form, we will be in a MUCH better position than we are right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X