No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like they updated the article. I could have sworn it used to say $3.3M.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
      Looks like they updated the article. I could have sworn it used to say $3.3M.
      It did.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
        The contract I saw quoted was the one Bama was offering. That aside, a comprehensive review of the Shockers.
        Yea they modified it. Originally said he turned down 3.3 mil from Alabama

Comment

• Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, Orlando has a variety of attractions that will appeal to you. Whether you are interested in art, shopping,
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Here is a pretty good analysis that compares the efficiency ratings of WSU (and more specifically, VanVleet and Baker) to the the team's overall success. It then looks at Brown and Frankcamp's additions and what that could mean for this season.

The Shocker's Guide to Shocking the World

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Here is a pretty good analysis that compares the efficiency ratings of WSU (and more specifically, VanVleet and Baker) to the the team's overall success. It then looks at Brown and Frankcamp's additions and what that could mean for this season.

That was a really thoughtful article. Good find.

The writer brought up an interesting point. At first I thought he was way off-base, but the more I think about it, I don't think so as much. He said that the past two seasons (13-14 and 14-15) we have not been as efficient as we were during the Final Four run. At first it seems kind of dumb comparing a tournament run with two entire seasons, but considering we finally had our entire roster healthy for the first time since before we played @ Tennessee, it makes some sense. Injuries decimated that squad during the season, but at full strength, they were as good as any Shocker team has been (even compared with the 35-1 team).

I have a feeling this year's team will be special as well. We seem to have everything you could ask for in a team except for lots of really tall guys like UK or Wisconsin had last year. Athleticism, defense, shooting, depth, talent, experience...it's all there. Buckle up, folks, this one will be fun.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Here is a pretty good analysis that compares the efficiency ratings of WSU (and more specifically, VanVleet and Baker) to the the team's overall success. It then looks at Brown and Frankcamp's additions and what that could mean for this season.

They need to change the end of the video to Rocked SHOCKED Jayhawk... :-)
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Thanks, Royal. Useful post, and good story.

If Frankamp lives up to what he's shown he can do, and if Zach steps up his game the way he was starting to do last year (both of which are perfectly plausible outcomes, and maybe even likely), WSU will have an even better combination in some ways than in 2012-13. That team had an extra creator in Armstead, who could also be a finisher; it also had an often brilliant receiver and finisher in Early as well as a solid inside presence in Hall.

This season, once December 12 arrives, the Shocks could have an extra creator / finisher in Frankamp, plus Brown as a possible big-time finisher and Grady as a slightly taller Carl Hall replacement. And we haven't even touched on the possibility that Shamet or Taylor might also be able to spell FVV and Baker effectively, or that Kelly and Morris might build on what they showed last season, or that a healthy and stronger Nurger could add still another weapon, or what McDuffie might be able to do, etc., etc.

If anything, things could be even more promising on offense than the SQ writer suggested.

Comment

That's one of the most analytical and (in my opinion) accurate evaluations of the last several years of Shocker hoops. One thing that wasn't mentioned that I think is necessary in evaluating the performance of our 2 AA guards: early.

Baker and VanVleet made Early better - and Early made Baker and VanVleet better.

Frankamp can give them a breather. Brown can open up the court for them.

I think the early-season lineup has Grady and Brown working with Wessel, Baker, and VanVleet.

Wessel is a decent replacement for Cotton's D. Brown adds an element that wasn't there last year.

All the reports are that Kelly has upped his game a bunch over the off season, but I don't see him - or about anybody not playing for Kentucky - keeping Brown off the court.

I think we have the potential for 2 versions of Early. I'm fairly confident in thinking Brown is the 6'6" version. Hamilton could be the 6'9" version. We'll have to wait a year or 2 to see if that's the case.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Brown played the three last year and I agree he'll likely start at the four to begin the year, but I really hope to see him at the three and Kelly at the four with FVV and Baker and then a five. Brown and Kelly are both tremendous athletes and them together with FVV and Baker will be entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                        Brown played the three last year and I agree he'll likely start at the four to begin the year, but I really hope to see him at the three and Kelly at the four with FVV and Baker and then a five. Brown and Kelly are both tremendous athletes and them together with FVV and Baker will be entertaining.
                        I see lots of alley oops this year.

Also, we need an HE Pennypacker on this board. The trio would not be complete without him.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                          Brown played the three last year and I agree he'll likely start at the four to begin the year, but I really hope to see him at the three and Kelly at the four with FVV and Baker and then a five. Brown and Kelly are both tremendous athletes and them together with FVV and Baker will be entertaining.
                          Shoving Wessel to the 5 spot?
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            That's one of the most analytical and (in my opinion) accurate evaluations of the last several years of Shocker hoops. One thing that wasn't mentioned that I think is necessary in evaluating the performance of our 2 AA guards: early.

Baker and VanVleet made Early better - and Early made Baker and VanVleet better.

Frankamp can give them a breather. Brown can open up the court for them.

I think the early-season lineup has Grady and Brown working with Wessel, Baker, and VanVleet.

Wessel is a decent replacement for Cotton's D. Brown adds an element that wasn't there last year.

All the reports are that Kelly has upped his game a bunch over the off season, but I don't see him - or about anybody not playing for Kentucky - keeping Brown off the court.

I think we have the potential for 2 versions of Early. I'm fairly confident in thinking Brown is the 6'6" version. Hamilton could be the 6'9" version. We'll have to wait a year or 2 to see if that's the case.
                            I'm hopeful we'll see McDuffie shine in that role but have to admit I've sort of neglected Hamilton. Man, this team is loaded.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              Shoving Wessel to the 5 spot?
                              Wessel won't get 40 minutes a game. I'm not talking about a starting 5, just a lineup during the course of the game that I hope to see.

Now, no one has brought it up and perhaps no one wants to or thinks it will happen, but I do remember Demetric Williams averaging 26+ minutes per game his senior year (Final Four year) but got just 7 minutes in the Ohio State and Louisville games come tournament time. I could see this happening with Wessel. When he played the 3 spot last year, he struggled staying in front of guys, basically just playing off and hoping they missed a jump shot. If he is really looking at just playing the 3 (which I think is a better position for him) and not playing in the 4, I could see his PT being cut come tournament time. Then again, people have said this about him for 4 years now.

Comment

• The paper said something about Wessel shedding some pounds so he could be quicker on the perimeter this year. I think the plan is for Wessel to be on the wing.

Comment

Working...
                                X