2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    I don't really want to get into this (for the umpteenth time) but is it really likely?

1)First, what blue bloods? UCLA seems blue to me....Gregg is still here.

2)Let's say Coach K retires...that's about as blue as blue gets. You REALLY think they're coming for Gregg? What about if Self goes to the NBA? I'll be willing to give you 2-1 odds and take the side that Gregg doesn't get the call.

My point is that there are few schools that fit the criteria....and that NOTHING is "likely" now.
    Im starting to think we should make a sticky thread to list what schools HCGM has turned down so we can continually educate people.

It grows and changes every year so it's similar to the all time records kind of threads that need consistent update.

Heck, it should list his current salary and bonuses because they grow every year too. Someday he's going to be making more than the current coach at a couple blue bloods. At some point people are going to put it all together mentally...

Comment

• I like the way he portrays someone who has accomplished as much as Gregg as also someone who would fly the coup as soon as Baker and Van Vleet are gone out of fear. Our program has definitely reached a level that jealousy generates enough motivation for some losers to go to the extent of writing this. This article is telling Gregg to leave and trying to shame him into it, and, to put it mildly, Gregg doesn't strike me as a person who you tell what to do.

Comment

I don't really want to get into this (for the umpteenth time) but is it really likely?

2)Let's say Coach K retires...that's about as blue as blue gets. You REALLY think they're coming for Gregg? What about if Self goes to the NBA? I'll be willing to give you 2-1 odds and take the side that Gregg doesn't get the call.

My point is that there are few schools that fit the criteria....and that NOTHING is "likely" now.
        Thank you.

Some people around here are too worried about being play-it-cool, objective fan. It's somewhat sad that there are WSU fans around here that are still paranoid about Marshall and continue to doubt the many choices he has made over the last few years.

We're not even 3 months away from the regular season and Marshall is already waiting to jump ship again. This "writer" is up there well above ******* territory.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          K State? I don't think GM considers them at all.

In anything.

If the Kansas schools are brothers and KU is Sonny, KState is definitely Fredo and WSU is obviously Michael. You could argue we are the hot heads and could be Sonny and KU is Michael. But either way, KState is still Fredo.
          That might be the biggest inaccuracy of all to come out of that article.

K-State? They are a freaking nobody. Major league wannabes. Like they're on 2-for-1 level irrelevant.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I 100% agree and did not articulate it well.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              the article does ring true that in all likelihood a blue blood program will eventually come calling and Marshall will want it. Other than that, it reads like a bad frat boy sales pitch to a freshman recruit.

This reads like it was stated by a SHINO. :)

J/K wufan

Comment

• This year coach Marshall will turn 53 years old. There are only 4 programs that (in my opinion) meet the definition of Blue Blood (man, I hate that term). They are Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, and Kansas.

Roy Williams is 65. If he coaches 3 more years would NC even want to hire a coach that is 56 years old? North Carolina especially likes to hire from "within the family." I don't see it happening.

Mike Krzyzewski is 68 years old. This is the only one that is worrisome to me. He will turn 69 this Feb. If he retires after he turns 70 Marshall will be 55. Duke is not as adamant about the "Coaching Tree" thing as North Carolina is. They may look out side on this one.

UCLA and Steve Alford. He is winning at an adequate clip and has been to 2 consecutive sweet sixteens. So, that being said, they will give him at least 3 more years, and more likely 5 more. Don't think they will look to a 60 year old coach to save them.

KU would NEVER talk to Marshall so that door is shut.

Now, there are 2 outside programs that are a maybe: UCONN and SYRACUSE. It now becomes a question of does Marshall think Syracuse is a blue blood, and can they afford to up his salary? I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairgame View Post
                  This year coach Marshall will turn 53 years old. There are only 4 programs that (in my opinion) meet the definition of Blue Blood (man, I hate that term). They are Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, and Kansas.

Roy Williams is 65. If he coaches 3 more years would NC even want to hire a coach that is 56 years old? North Carolina especially likes to hire from "within the family." I don't see it happening.

Mike Krzyzewski is 68 years old. This is the only one that is worrisome to me. He will turn 69 this Feb. If he retires after he turns 70 Marshall will be 55. Duke is not as adamant about the "Coaching Tree" thing as North Carolina is. They may look out side on this one.

UCLA and Steve Alford. He is winning at an adequate clip and has been to 2 consecutive sweet sixteens. So, that being said, they will give him at least 3 more years, and more likely 5 more. Don't think they will look to a 60 year old coach to save them.

Now, there are 2 outside programs that are a maybe: UCONN and SYRACUSE. It now becomes a question of does Marshall think Syracuse is a blue blood, and can they afford to up his salary? I don't know.
                  Or Cal goes NBA. But then again, 3G wouldn't want to deal with the inevitable sanctions when Cal leaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairgame View Post
                    This year coach Marshall will turn 53 years old. There are only 4 programs that (in my opinion) meet the definition of Blue Blood (man, I hate that term). They are Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, and Kansas.

You spoke about Coach K but didn't include them in your list. I would include Duke and Indiana on that list. Michigan State, Louisville, Texas and Florida make my list as other programs similar to Syracue and UConn. Of course UT, Florida, and MSU are all football schools, and MSU, Cuse, and UConn all have the wrong geography/climate. UT and Florida just hired new coaches.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Here you go Chris! Not sure if you will like it there...but give it a try my friend. You may just "fit-in".

FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Kentucky and Louisville

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          You spoke about Coach K but didn't include them in your list. I would include Duke and Indiana on that list. Michigan State, Louisville, Texas and Florida make my list as other programs similar to Syracue and UConn. Of course UT, Florida, and MSU are all football schools, and MSU, Cuse, and UConn all have the wrong geography/climate. UT and Florida just hired new coaches.
                          Oh my, I am an idiot. I typed Kentucky but was thinking of Duke. I also think Kentucky is a BB program but Cal: not old enough to retire, doing so very well so won't be pushed out, and I think he is smart enough to stay away from the NBA.

So, to correct my terrible post. Not 4 BB programs, 5. This is what I get for thinking.
                          :banghead:

Comment

• Attached Files
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The fact that Texas and Florida both came open this last year and Gregg is still here and making $3.3m makes it easy to sleep well.

Duke and North Carolina are both storied programs, but they also like to keep it in the family.

When Rick Pitino retires from Louisville, it will be interesting to see how hard they go after 3.3G.

I'm enjoying the ride.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

• Tommy Ammaker is probably on the short list for the Duke job if it ever opens up.

Comment

Working...
                                X