X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred picked 5th and Ron picked 7th

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Note that these votes were taken in July.

One Mark Few might like to change his vote now.

I find it interesting that even positive reviews of FVV always start with people's perception(often ill-conceived) of what he "isn't", instead of 3 pages glowing about all the things he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        Note that these votes were taken in July.

One Mark Few might like to change his vote now.

I find it interesting that even positive reviews of FVV always start with people's perception(often ill-conceived) of what he "isn't", instead of 3 pages glowing about all the things he is.
        I'm perfectly OK with opposing coaches thinking that FVV isn't "the fastest, quickest, the most talented or the most athletic" ... I'll let them change their mind after playing him.

Comment

Although I would say for Fred brains > speed and athletism every day. Scouts never talk about whether someone has the smarts to the play at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Although I would say for Fred brains > speed and athletism every day. Scouts never talk about whether someone has the smarts to the play at the next level.
            People can talk about smarts and intangibles and leadership and work ethic all they want.

A PG does not win 95 games (7 NCAA games) in 3 years without being extremely TALENTED at basketball.

Comment

To be fair, it's rare that Fred is the fastest, quickest, or most athletic on the floor. However, he gets his body into the right positions to make a play, and his maneuver where he goes up for a layup, draws contact, and tosses it in off the glass is a thing of beauty.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                It looks like those after number six are listed alphabetically, so Ron is not necessaruily #7, but "among others."
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  It looks like those after number six are listed alphabetically, so Ron is not necessaruily #7, but "among others."
                  Come on now...we all know that if Ron isn't in the top 6, he is #7. :)
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I misplaced this article in another thread but it belongs here. Short article about FVV with a shout out to Kerry Rosenboom.

Comment

• As I said elsewhere, this is what you do when they foolishly leave you off the PanAm squad -- at least it's what you do if you're FredWins: you spend extra time getting better in ways that playing games couldn't possibly accomplish.

Comment

• This seemed to be the best place to put this. SI is doing a voting contest to see who fans think was the "best" Cinderella. Voting starts tomorrow.

Our 2013 team, of course, is the 1 seed of 16 teams. Looking at the list and I was very surprised 2008 Davidson was only a 4 seed (SI used Basketball Reference's Simple Rating System to seed these teams). That team ended up with a 10 seed in the 2008 tournament, but it really should've been more like a 4 or 5 seed. They also came within a shot of beating Kansas, one of the best teams in the KenPom era (my personal choice as the best NC team of the last decade, right there with 2012 Kentucky). Of course, I don't remember as much about 1999 Gonzaga or 1990 Loyola Marymount, aside from the fact that LMU put up a ridiculous amount of points with Westphal's offense.

Anyways, the off-season is rife with fun, albeit meaningless, things like this. Still kinda fun to discuss.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          This seemed to be the best place to put this. SI is doing a voting contest to see who fans think was the "best" Cinderella. Voting starts tomorrow.

Our 2013 team, of course, is the 1 seed of 16 teams. Looking at the list and I was very surprised 2008 Davidson was only a 4 seed (SI used Basketball Reference's Simple Rating System to seed these teams). That team ended up with a 10 seed in the 2008 tournament, but it really should've been more like a 4 or 5 seed. They also came within a shot of beating Kansas, one of the best teams in the KenPom era (my personal choice as the best NC team of the last decade, right there with 2012 Kentucky). Of course, I don't remember as much about 1999 Gonzaga or 1990 Loyola Marymount, aside from the fact that LMU put up a ridiculous amount of points with Westphal's offense.

Anyways, the off-season is rife with fun, albeit meaningless, things like this. Still kinda fun to discuss.
                          Since it's for cinderellas, they should have seeded it in reverse.

Comment

• "For our purposes, a major-conference team that muddled through a mediocre regular season, then sneaked into the tournament with a low seed thanks to a surprising conference tournament title or stray at-large bid, is not a Cinderella."

"No disrespect to those late closers from the ACC, the Big East and the late Big Eight or to the motivational chops of their melodramatic coaches. It’s just a simple sartorial fact: Cinderella doesn’t wear Prada."

That's just stupid.

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            "1990 Loyola Marymount, aside from the fact that LMU put up a ridiculous amount of points with Westphal's offense.
                            Leaving the whole Hank Gathers tragedy by the side, that was a very, very good team and a lot of fun to watch.

Comment

• Not sure where to post this - look who made the list @ #7

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                                Not sure where to post this
                                Not here.

Comment

Working...
                                X