No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps the newbie doesn't realize that on Shockernet, "Media Love" refers to items related to WSU.

Hey, atl, go find an article that features WuShock -- there have been some, although they tend to focus on his weirdness, or his "scary" look (actually, my eight-year-old likes him, but I guess he might scare a Redbird) -- and then post that here instead. The proper place for your post would have been either Around the NCAA or Off-Topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
      Not sure where to post this - look who made the list @ #7

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/best...ington-bullets
      PhogNet or "the round file"
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Of course, I don't remember as much about 1999 Gonzaga or 1990 Loyola Marymount, aside from the fact that LMU put up a ridiculous amount of points with Westphal's offense.
          I couldn't forget LMU's run if I tried. Sweet 16 149-115 over Michigan. Jeff Fryer 15-20 (11 3s) for 41 points lol. And that one point when they were whipping Michigan, Fryer drills about his 9th 3 from 30 feet and turns around and gets right into their full court press and in Rumeal Robinson's grill and without saying a word basically told him "yeah there's a lot more where that came from...someone's gotta pay for what happened to Hank and it might as well be you guys.

Comment

Why did you make me look at that?

In answer to your question about where to put that? I have two pretty obvious answers. One is phog.net. The other is actually a darker place.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I might actually argue the second locale is lighter than phog.net

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I couldn't forget LMU's run if I tried. Sweet 16 149-115 over Michigan. Jeff Fryer 15-20 (11 3s) for 41 points lol. And that one point when they were whipping Michigan, Fryer drills about his 9th 3 from 30 feet and turns around and gets right into their full court press and in Rumeal Robinson's grill and without saying a word basically told him "yeah there's a lot more where that came from...someone's gotta pay for what happened to Hank and it might as well be you guys.
                Tell Me When It's Over is an interview series in which we ask former athletes about the moment they knew their playing days were over. Today: Jeff Fryer, teammate of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble at Loyola Marymount and a record-setting NCAA tournament sharpshooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I might actually argue the second locale is lighter than phog.net
                  I don't think I would even wipe my backside with #7.

Comment

WGAF
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Joining Doc in venturing a bit afield: I also remember LMU's glorious run very well -- first looking on in amazement as they ran away from Michigan, continuing to fire threes as quickly as possible even with a big lead; and then the next weekend grinding out a tense 62-60 win (I admit, I looked up the score) against a very good Alabama team that worked hard to slow down the game as much as possible. It took UNLV's overpowering champs to knock them out in the regional championship game.

That was the most entertaining team I've ever watched, and I wish Westhead had been able to recruit enough talent to continue playing successfully that way.

Comment

• More pub http://on.si.com/1Tx62Rx.

Comment

• As much as I love our Shockers and what they did/do/will continue to do, I think in that Cinderella bracket, I've got us losing in a hard fought battle for the championship against LMU. Perhaps it's because I've become accustomed to great expectations for our Shocks, but I give the edge to that Loyola team just based on dramatic affect if nothing else. I mean, losing your leading scorer (and probably best player) just before the tourney, Bo Kimble shooting left-handed free throws,11 3-pointers from one kid...it's just tough to compete with that stuff.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, I checked the SI story, and I guess it depends on how you define a Cinderella. LMU was certainly a legitimate choice as a high seed, but if I were picking I'd have 2011 Butler a lot higher than an 8-9 game. Yes, they had played for the championship in 2010, and actually came within a few inches of winning it (a performance as a #5 seed in March Madness that maybe should have been recognized in SI's bracket). But the 2011 team wasn't nearly as good, lacked their best player from the year before, and in fact there was plenty of speculation that they were headed for the NIT unless they won their conference tournament.

So the NCAA selection committee seeded them 8th, and yet a few weeks later, there they were again, from the brink of the NIT to another championship game appearance. To my mind, that's just as unlikely a run as WSU's in 2013, when there was no realistic doubt WSU would be in the field, and the Shocks were if anything underappreciated and underseeded because they had just regained secret weapon Ron Baker.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, I checked the SI story, and I guess it depends on how you define a Cinderella. LMU was certainly a legitimate choice as a high seed, but if I were picking I'd have 2011 Butler a lot higher than an 8-9 game. Yes, they had played for the championship in 2010, and actually came within a few inches of winning it (a performance as a #5 seed in March Madness that maybe should have been recognized in SI's bracket). But the 2011 team wasn't nearly as good, lacked their best player from the year before, and in fact there was plenty of speculation that they were headed for the NIT unless they won their conference tournament.

So the NCAA selection committee seeded them 8th, and yet a few weeks later, there they were again, from the brink of the NIT to another championship game appearance. To my mind, that's just as unlikely a run as WSU's in 2013, when there was no realistic doubt WSU would be in the field, and the Shocks were if anything underappreciated and underseeded because they had just regained secret weapon Ron Baker.
                              The seedlings were based on the teams SRS(simple rating system) rank at the end of the year. Therefore, the highest seeds were the best teams in the bracket not necessarily the best Cinderella stories.

Comment

• Wichita State's rise to college basketball prominence has been tied to the play of Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet. Now they're ready for their final act.
                                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X