The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    VCU stays in the Shaka tree, hiring Mike Rhoades from Rice.

A lot of fans on their board were wanting to get away from the Shaka tree.
    Rhoades had a losing record in 3 years at Rice.

That's possibly the least impressive coaching tree in history. Near as I can tell, Will Wade's 2016 A-10 co-championship is the only title any of these guys have won in 15 combined years as D1 head coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

That's possibly the least impressive coaching tree in history. Near as I can tell, Will Wade's 2016 A-10 co-championship is the only title any of these guys have won.
      Sort of like this one?????
      Get NCAA College Football news, scores, stats, poll rankings & more for your favorite college teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

According to 'Bama fans, the only good tree is a dead tree. Perhaps the folks at VCU will think this in a couple of years......

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        I believe the comparison is to VCU that is being discussed ... not WSU.
        That is correct, Stick. LSU is a bigger name school and more prestigious than VCU is, even though in basketball VCU is more accomplished; it's also in a league awash in football money.

I suppose one could make some of the same arguments about LSU vs. WSU; the difference is that WSU is arguably a step up from VCU in basketball (although it's pretty close, which isn't something very many "mid-majors" could say in comparison), so that a move from Shockers to Tigers would be more of a basketball step down than the one Wade is making. In addition, WSU has shown a willingness to pay top ten basketball money, which has never been the case with LSU (much less VCU). Marshall knows better than I do, obviously, but I have a hard time imagining him ever going to a football school.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          That is correct, Stick. .
          My bad; had Shocker on the brain.

Comment

That's possibly the least impressive coaching tree in history. Near as I can tell, Will Wade's 2016 A-10 co-championship is the only title any of these guys have won in 15 combined years as D1 head coaches.
            Woof. Not sure VCU can maintain itself as a top mid-major with a "tree" like that.
            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
              Woof. Not sure VCU can maintain itself as a top mid-major with a "tree" like that.
              Rice is as big of a dumpster fire as you can find in D1. Rhoades had the highest win percentage of any coach there since the 50's. Even managed to clear 20 wins this year, I'll reserve judgment.

Comment

I would be very careful judging Rhoades off of three years at Rice. Rice won 5 games and 7 games in the two years before he took over. If you judged Marshall off of his first three years at WSU you'd be looking at a 53-47 record. Once Rhoades got his guys there Rice improved immensely. My guess is that he does fine at VCU.

Comment

• LSU is not that different in basketball than Alabama and our coach seriously considered going there.

Comment

• Well, maybe he did, Dan; I don't know how seriously he really considered it, and I doubt that any of us outsiders really do. It's hard for me to believe he'd really have left Ron and Fred, and it's hard for me to believe he'd leave this bunch before making a run at next year with them.

In any case, it's academic now, and I suspect it will remain so for the rest of this offseason. Who knows how many pages this thread will be up to by the time jobs start opening next year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      LSU is not that different in basketball than Alabama and our coach seriously considered going there.
                      For nearly 5 million ..

Comment

• 2 questions:

1. If we get into the AAC, what percentage of that taking place is directly attributable to Gregg Marshall?

2. If we get into the AAC and 97% of it is because of Gregg Marshall alone, how much higher is his value than the $3.3M we pay him to this city and university?

... oh and 3. Does Mega-Genius Doug Elgin at least get a commission? I mean technically he is the commissioner after all...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                          2 questions:

1. If we get into the AAC, what percentage of that taking place is directly attributable to Gregg Marshall?

2. If we get into the AAC and 97% of it is because of Gregg Marshall alone, how much higher is his value than the $3.3M we pay him to this city and university?

... oh and 3. Does Mega-Genius Doug Elgin at least get a commission? I mean technically he is the commissioner after all...
                          He gets the NCAA shares we earned to pass around.

Comment

• The "big money" talk about HCGM's salary wasn't only about his salary; level of commitment was gauged on football, if necessary; Koch upgrades, travel expense for non basketball sports if we changed conferences, etc. This has been fermenting for a while. Or so I'm told.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              VCU is a good program but is a stepping stone school. That's just the way it is. And that's why our program is quite a few pegs up from them.
                              Come on man... You really can't be that delusional... WSU and VCU are pretty damn similar as programs. We were just lucky enough to get a coach that actually wanted to stay. If 3G left we would be in a situation just like them. I'd actually say in a worse situation since the A10>MVC. Try to keep one foot on the ground man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                                Come on man... You really can't be that delusional... WSU and VCU are pretty damn similar as programs. We were just lucky enough to get a coach that actually wanted to stay. If 3G left we would be in a situation just like them. I'd actually say in a worse situation since the A10>MVC. Try to keep one foot on the ground man.
                                Wichita State has been willing to compensate HCGM against all competitive offers.

He has made it a much bigger job than when he started.

VCU has chosen to keep their compensation fairly flat, expecting to get the next up and comer.

There isn't much similarity especially when you consider VCU's lack of conference titles.
                                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                                -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X