The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    I'm a closet worrier, and this one doesn't even make my meter move off of zero.
    See, that is why I posed the question. In about 4 posts, any possible concerns I had, which were very low to begin with, have been pretty relieved.

Comment

• FWIW, the beat writer from Indy Star was asked why HCGM wasn't included as a candidate in his articles. The writer tweeted that he felt at this time there is "no indication of serious consideration" for Marshall at Indiana.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        I'm a closet worrier, and this one doesn't even make my meter move off of zero.

There's a reason why it has developed to be the P5 and everyone else. Who GT gets to fill the position will illustrate this, much to the disbelief of big east-ers. I'm sure they'll get someone solid, but it is a different candidate list than you see bandied about for the good P5 jobs.
        Wonder if Johnny Dawkins is ready for another shot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
          http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ons-with-hoyas

Any reason to be concerned? Indiana doesn't worry me much at all. Georgetown is a little scarier. Glad it is opening up this year.
          What on earth could possibly convince Marshall even to think about Georgetown?

Comment

• Can I ask a question as an outsider (Cincinnati fan): what would happen if Kansas ever opened up? I know it's unlikely, but let's say next year a really good NBA job opens up and Bill Self leaves. Would Coach Marshall leave for that job? If not, what would it take? Duke? UNC?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
              If you're ever in Chicago, you have to visit the inspiration for this, the Billy Goat Tavern!

It's nice as a "landmark" but if you want a great burger go to Kuma's or if you want to do a road trip: my favorite burger is DC Cobbs in Woodstock Il
              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive about VCU. Donors also contribute to better programs. I'm not sure why you'd be holding that against WSU but it's another reason why WSU is a better program. How many coaches has VCU gone through in the last 10-15 years? How many has WSU gone through?

Facts are hard.
                For sake if consistency I will only include the the years WSU has been in the MVC.

NCAA Tournament Appearances
                62 years prior to 3G: 8
                Marshall era: 6

NCAA Tournament Victories

Marshall era: 10

MVC Regular Season Championships
                62 years prior to 3G: 6
                Marshall era: 5

MVC Tournament Championships
                62 years prior to 3G: 2
                Marshall era: 2

20+ Wins
                62 years prior to 3G: 11
                Marshall era: 8

30+ Wins
                62 years prior to 3G: 0
                Marshall era: 4

Final 4's
                62 years prior to 3G: 1
                Marshall era: 1

I am not trying to defend VCU, but to point out that before Marshall WSU had a spotty resume at best. If Roy Williams retired this year and UNC came knocking we could easily be back in a situation where we slip back into somewhat obscurity. This is exactly why most of us are wanting to make this move to the AAC ASAP. If Marshall left and we were still in the MVC there is a very distinct possibility we would become a program that would have to win the conference tourney every year to make the tourney. Not saying that would happen, just stating that it is a real possibility. My main point is don't forget where you came from. It wasn't that long ago we were an afterthought. I would hope us WSU fans would handle this success with humility and tact. Go Shockers.
                Last edited by Jhook89; March 24, 2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertfoshizzle View Post
                  Can I ask a question as an outsider (Cincinnati fan): what would happen if Kansas ever opened up? I know it's unlikely, but let's say next year a really good NBA job opens up and Bill Self leaves. Would Coach Marshall leave for that job? If not, what would it take? Duke? UNC?
                  I'm not sure they would want Marshall, he probably wouldn't get along with crowd up there because he's honest and that's just not how it works at KU. I'd bet on them looking at people with ties to the program like Mark Turgeon and Danny Manning or a succesful younger coach like Archie Miller. People forget that Marshall is in his mid 50's, if you're wanting someone to run your program for the next 15+ years he's not your guy.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Can I ask a question as an outsider (Cincinnati fan): what would happen if Kansas ever opened up? I know it's unlikely, but let's say next year a really good NBA job opens up and Bill Self leaves. Would Coach Marshall leave for that job? If not, what would it take? Duke? UNC?
                    I think the only real worry is whenever Louisville opens up. Money and prestige will be there. They will already have the type of athlete 3G needs. Their academic "demands" allow for juco fill-ins. And, this won't be popular; but, I think Lynn's publicity/reputation eliminate some jobs but L'ville won't care. I just think everything about their history fits 3G.
                    '88-'89 Shocker Hellraisers Fan of the Year.

Comment

• Originally posted by South Bend Shocker View Post
                      I think the only real worry is whenever Louisville opens up. Money and prestige will be there. They will already have the type of athlete 3G needs. Their academic "demands" allow for juco fill-ins. And, this won't be popular; but, I think Lynn's publicity/reputation eliminate some jobs but L'ville won't care. I just think everything about their history fits 3G.
                      That is the beautiful thing about Minnesota starting to come together. I'm guessing that job gets passed down to Richard if he continues doing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                        That is the beautiful thing about Minnesota starting to come together. I'm guessing that job gets passed down to Richard if he continues doing well.
                        That is my hope also as it would keep 3G at WSU. I just believe it is the one we worry about.
                        '88-'89 Shocker Hellraisers Fan of the Year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                          For sake if consistency I will only include the the years WSU has been in the MVC.

62 years prior to 3G: 5

20+ Wins

30+ Wins

Final 4's

I am not trying to defend VCU, but to point out that before Marshall WSU had a spotty resume at best. If Roy Williams retired this year and UNC came knocking we could easily be back in a situation where we slip back into somewhat obscurity. This is exactly why most of us are wanting to make this move to the AAC ASAP. If Marshall left and we were still in the MVC there is a very distinct possibility we would become a program that would have to win the conference tourney every year to make the tourney. Not saying that would happen, just stating that it is a real possibility. My main point is don't forget where you came from. It wasn't that long ago we were an afterthought. I would hope us WSU fans would handle this success with humility and tact. Go Shockers.
                          I believe WSU has 8 NCAA victories before Marshall. 1 - 1964, 2 - 1965, 3 - 1981, and 2 - 2006.

Comment

I really don't think Kansas would have Gregg Marshall at or near the top of their list. Pretty sure he isn't on their Christmas Card list either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

62 years prior to 3G: 5

20+ Wins

30+ Wins

Final 4's

Uh, I'm really not sure what to say, other than the fact that I'm sorry you've been sulking over this one for days now.

Argue against these statements I made in my original post:
                              1.) VCU is a stepping stone school
                              2.) WSU is a better program than VCU

That's all I said in my original post that's caused you to go into a defensive-laden frenzy. If you can't argue against those, then your responses to me on this subject are absolutely meaningless.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I really don't see Gregg going to a blue blood; it's doesn't fit his coaching style. Can you imagine him demanding a 5* one and done player play defense, get on the floor after loose balls, or you don't play? He enjoys coaching/teaching; player improvement. KU, Kentucky and such recruit guys that want to be in the NBA immediately, and throw them on the floor to play for a year or two. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X