The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    There are two problems with this talk. One, schools will write these big checks, but will the community continue to pay coach after he retires? I think not.
    The second big problem is that Marshall is happy, Lynn is happy, and the kids are happy. Kellen spurned playing golf for SMU to come back and pass out water, wash jock straps and fetch coffee. They all love the school, the support and living in one of the safest cities in the US. Sure, who doesn't want an better conference, but if we can't, we will Gonzaga it.
    Wichita isn't actually that safe. The rate of crime is 111% higher than the national average, putting Wichita in the bottom 3% for violent crimes. There are more violent and property crimes per capita in Wichita than in Chicago. The difference is that crime in the surrounding areas is basically zero, and it is just a few areas with really high crime rates. You can look at a crime map and see that this at a street by street level, and often times (like with Hillside) you can literally see areas with a ton of crime on one side of the street and almost none on the other.

Not that matters to Marshall, since he almost certainly lives in one of the pockets where there is virtually no crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      There are two problems with this talk. One, schools will write these big checks, but will the community continue to pay coach after he retires? I think not.
      The second big problem is that Marshall is happy, Lynn is happy, and the kids are happy. Kellen spurned playing golf for SMU to come back and pass out water, wash jock straps and fetch coffee. They all love the school, the support and living in one of the safest cities in the US. Sure, who doesn't want an better conference, but if we can't, we will Gonzaga it.
      Kellen might have played golf while attending SMU, but would have not been on the SMU golf team. He is where he needs to be however and will some day be a successful something...maybe success in following in dad's footsteps.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
        Umm, did you post this on dial up in 2014 and it's just now going through?
        That's the same thing I was wondering about the Missouri and NCState stuff -- you just said it better. My hat's off to you.

Comment

• While I know everyone on this board believes next year is a great opportunity for a final four/national title run, this year they could do the same thing (playing pretty hot right now with a lot of confidence). If he gets that national title it didn't matter who offers; there is nothing else that he could accomplish elsewhere that he wouldn't have already accomplished.

Well I guess maybe a title defense, and only we could offer him that...
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            That's the same thing I was wondering about the Missouri and NCState stuff -- you just said it better. My hat's off to you.
            Since HCGM has already been "wined and dined" by those schools in 2014, do you think this will be a quick "no" since he has already his due diligence

Comment

• My memory must be slipping because I can't think of anyone that won a National title and had the exact same team coming back the following year but left to take another job. Can someone help me out here?

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                Since HCGM has already been "wined and dined" by those schools in 2014, do you think this will be a quick "no" since he has already his due diligence
                Give it 2 years and we'll see Texas and Alabama back in the market

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                  Give it 2 years and we'll see Texas and Alabama back in the market

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    My memory must be slipping because I can't think of anyone that won a National title and had the exact same team coming back the following year but left to take another job. Can someone help me out here?
                    Florida would be really close

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      My memory must be slipping because I can't think of anyone that won a National title and had the exact same team coming back the following year but left to take another job. Can someone help me out here?
                      Not the exact same team coming back, and not leaving to take another job, but... John Dunning of Stanford volleyball retired this Spring after winning the national title with 5 of 7 starters returning for 2+ years.

Comment

• nm

Comment

• Originally posted by JEE View Post
                          Texas, Arizona and UCLA would be the only schools that we would lose our coach to! The Blue Blood schools already have coaches lined up for replacement.
                          Texas maybe, but I still think Smart will get better at Texas starting next season. I don't see a change taking place at Arizona any time soon.

I don't believe HC3G would ever really consider UCLA, because:

1. He isn't from the west coast, has never lived on the west coast, and doesn't recruit the west coast, so he doesn't have any high school or jr. college connections there. That's a tough way to start out recruiting.

2. If UCLA, or any other west coast school isn't in the top 25, the rest of the country doesn't care or watch. HC3G wants the country to watch.

3. LA is really a pro sports town, where even this season UCLA has played games at Pauley Pavilion in front 7,000 - 8,000 fans. HC3G wouldn't like coaching a half full arena.

4. The cost of living is much higher in LA than in Wichita, and Steve Alfords' salary, and all of his incentive bonuses are lower at UCLA than what HC3G is being payed at WSU. Finally, if Alford were to quit UCLA, his contract buyouts are huge; $5,200,000 if he were to quit after this season, which is a hell of a lot higher than HC3Gs buyout at WSU, and I can't see HC3G ever agreeing to anything like that.
                          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• 810 WHB has a segment everyday on Marshall to Missouri. They concluded that he was first on everyone's list. Of course, they seem to know that he's going this year. The last time they got on this kick, they helped us recruit the KC POY, Landry Shamet. I wonder who the publicity will help us get this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              810 WHB has a segment everyday on Marshall to Missouri. They concluded that he was first on everyone's list. Of course, they seem to know that he's going this year. The last time they got on this kick, they helped us recruit the KC POY, Landry Shamet. I wonder who the publicity will help us get this year.
                              The KC "talking heads" can't wrap their pompous heads around why anyone would want to live and coach in "little ol' Wichita". They view themselves, their city, and their BIG XII (and now SEC) schools as vastly superior to anyone or anything else, especially Wichita.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Twitter the last week has been full of 3G rumors. Sounds like 3G will be coaching at Mizzou, Illinois and Indiana next year. I sure hope I didn't leave anyone out...

Comment

Working...
                                X