Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
    Yes, because I WANT the team to sleep on some other team looking to make history.

Bucknell. Belmont. VCU three years ago. Princeton lost to Overall #1 seed Georgetown by 2 back in '89, led them at the half (and I've NEVER seen Dick Vitale sweat like he did at halftime of that game. He vowed to wear a Princeton cheerleading uniform to their next game if they won). You don't get a bye. You have to play the game, and as everybody knows all too well around here, if you sleep on Evansville, you're going to get embarrassed, so no, I was not kidding.
    Of course, you are right. When I said "essentially a first round bye" I only meant that a 16 has never beat a 1. Which of course doesn't mean jack once they roll the balls out. It will happen eventually and I would hate for WSU to be the team it happened to.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post

Actually, yeah a 1 seed does have an easier path to the Final Four...

...would like a word with you.

Remember folks, after that 16-seed, the 1-seed faces, basically, us last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
        Also, let's dial back the hand-wringing over the polls and the vitriol a bit and remember that this team can beat any team in the country, no matter what little number they put next to their name. 1-seed, 16-seed, at-large, play-in, this team can deliver wherever they're put in the Dance.

Would a 1-seed be nice? Absolutely. I never thought I'd see a day where WSU was a 1-seed, but that doesn't make the path to the F4 any easier once the ball is tipped. One game at a time, and be confident that the guys won't let you down.

You forgot to add the following disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: By doesn't make the path to the F4 any easier, I am ignoring all historical data that shows 1 seeds make the final four more often than other seeds and the unblemished record in their first game. I am also aware that even though 1 seeds do have the highest rate to make the final four, still less than 50% of the teams who were 1 seeds have made the final four since 1979. I am mainly stating that there are plenty of games against top teams that are given more than a puncher's chance to beat any other team in the country.
        Last edited by jdmee; January 21, 2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Seeds don't go to final fours, basketball teams do.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            Seeds don't go to final fours, basketball teams do.
            Boom.

Comment

Seeds don't go to final fours, basketball teams do.
              Perspective.
              “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
              -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                You forgot to add the following disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: By doesn't make the path to the F4 any easier, I am ignoring all historical data that shows 1 seeds make the final four more often than other seeds and the unblemished record in their first game. I am also aware that even though 1 seeds do have the highest rate to make the final four, still less than 50% of the teams who were 1 seeds have made the final four since 1979. I am mainly stating that there are plenty of games against top teams that are given more puncher's chance to beat any other team in the country.
                Fine. Mea culpa. Whatever.

Comment

• IMO, there's far too much emphasis on the "polls."

For me, I'm just glad that the "media" is finally beginning to take notice
                  of what the Shockers are doing - - (compared to earlier weeks when the
                  Shockers were essentially iginored.)

As the Shocks continue winning, I'm sure they'll start getting the coverage
                  they so well deserve.

Patience, kids.......
                  Shocker Alum

Comment

• A lot of fans on here hate the notion of saying a game should be "easy" because every opponent at that time of year is tough, just to varying degrees. Others don't mind saying a game should be easy since, statistically, a top team usually beats those ranked many spots beneath it on whatever scale is being used (RPI, kenpom, etc).

I think we could substitute in "likely" and everyone would agree. Being a 1 seed makes the path to a Final Four more likely. The games are of course still tough; the wins are of course more likely.

Comment

Of course, you are right. When I said "essentially a first round bye" I only meant that a 16 has never beat a 1. Which of course doesn't mean jack once they roll the balls out. It will happen eventually and I would hate for WSU to be the team it happened to.
                      Yeah, as a 1 seed this would be my only fear. I still think it was absolute BS what the media did to the Zags last year.
                      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                        You do realize KU winning or losing also affects our seeding right? So yeah, them losing some games is kind of important even from a potential seeding standpoint. Sheesh some of you people lol.
                        You need to follow the direction of the comments, original post wanted KU to lose to protect Shockers poll ranking not either team's tournament seed - sheesh you must be one of those people - LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                          Yeah, as a 1 seed this would be my only fear. I still think it was absolute BS what the media did to the Zags last year.
                          Agreed. Their team last year was arguably the most complete team in the tournament. There is no doubt in my mind that they could have won it all. Unfortunately, for them, they were forced to go to war with the shockers. And you don't want to go to war with the shockers.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../powerrankings Not sure if the espn power rankings have been posted yet but we are up to 4. With the loss to Creigton, Nova dropped like a boat anchor.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Cat View Post
                              http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../powerrankings Not sure if the espn power rankings have been posted yet but we are up to 4. With the loss to Creigton, Nova dropped like a boat anchor.

The complaints about their opponents is there, but the Shockers can only play the teams on their schedule. And they've beaten them all.
                              Florida and KU within striking distance.
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                                But you knew it would happen if they lost. You could see it a mile away.. I just didn't think about the possibility that we would be the ones who would do it to them (beat them)...
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X