No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread perfectly shows the insanity of some message board posts.

Generally speaking, an improvement in seeding makes for an easier road to the Final 4.

No caveats or additions to that statement are needed. To argue against it is LITERALLY insane. :-)

pie n eye, by your own rationale that 1 seeds advance because they are typically great basketball teams, you are cementing the idea that the committee generally puts the best teams in the best seeds and the worst teams in the worst seeds. Nobody here has claimed that a 1 seed is a sleepwalk to the sweet 16, but many have claimed the obvious, that a 1 seed makes for the EASIEST path to the sweet 16, final four, etc. I can't believe there is an argument here.

Comment

• The Massey Composite now has WSU as the #8 rank.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Never mind. I apologize for making a stastically fuzzy statement and my conduct afterward.
        Last edited by HockeyShock; January 22, 2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
          it also would be nice to play somewhere closer to home instead of cross country so more fans could drive to the game. that would be a huge advantage. Just ask Ku, playing in KC or Dallas ect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
            I for one would much rather have the path of a no. 1 seed as opposed of an 8 or 9. Why do you think the KUs and Kentuckys of the world have so many sweet 16's in their history. It would be sweet to be a 1 or 2 seed
            While I would normally agree with you, it didn't work out so well last year for those seeds in our bracket!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              1 seeds advance at that rate because they are typically great basketball teams not because they are a 1 seed. You act like you could slap a 1 seed next to any old team and they're going to sleepwalk to the sweet 16.
              No, I'm acting like 16 seeds are typically mediocre basketball teams. And that 8/9 seeds are typically average BCS teams or above average non-BCS teams.

You're acting like there's this chasm of talent between a 1 seed and a 2 seed to explain the vastly different success rates. While 1 seeds are typically better than 2 seeds, 1 seeds also typically play worse teams than 2 seeds do.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• I'm excited to watch the ballots roll in today even if some of them are going to make me angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                  I'm excited to watch the ballots roll in today even if some of them are going to make me angry.
                  This

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                    I'm excited to watch the ballots roll in today even if some of them are going to make me angry.
                    Exactly. Like who is the first voter to have Florida and Kwo jump us.

Comment

• I do not want to offend anyone but I will be happy with a 1 or 2 seed, which I think is getting close to being a lock, just a few more victories. Recent brackets that have WSU as a 2 seed offer IMO a highly probable pathway to an Elite 8 game; which IMO logically affords the Shockers a great chance to play in Dallas this year, should circumstances in their Elite 8 game break favorably for them.

Comment

• We don't take no stinkin favors from no one!:)

Comment

• I'm beginning to want a 2 seed just because it is probably the one thing that will make this program play even angrier.

The NCAA tournament won't like us when we are angry.
                          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rankings/top25 Not that I ever pay any attention to CBS and in particular Gary Parish but his poll is out and he has us at 8. Even after Nova lost by by close to 30 to an ex valley team he still has them rated 6. Even if you discount that one game they needed OT to beat an 11-9 Marquette team. With all the adverse press I am sure the bulletin board in the locker room remains pretty full.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Cat View Post
                              http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rankings/top25 Not that I ever pay any attention to CBS and in particular Gary Parish but his poll is out and he has us at 8. Even after Nova lost by by close to 30 to an ex valley team he still has them rated 6. Even if you discount that one game they needed OT to beat an 11-9 Marquette team. With all the adverse press I am sure the bulletin board in the locker room remains pretty full.
                              He has SDSU at #3??!!

Wow..

This guy can't decide whether he loves or hates WSU.
                              The Assman

Comment

• While not related to polls, I'm wondering if we are waiting to put up our best bulletin board material during the weeks between the conference and NCAA Tourney.

During those two weeks I'd just put up posters of Louisville celebrating their national title all over the locker room and weight room.

That should keep the guys focused regardless of polls or seed.
                                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                                X