Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Apparently real enough that the Board of Regents is involved and approves

Comment

• A lot of John Wayne's on here saying this was a nothing burger

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          A lot of John Wayne's on here saying this was a nothing burger
          Well this is apparently completely unrelated to the other incident. Bad enough to shut the program down for a bit...

Comment

• I believe Griffin would be a very risky hire. Anytime you hire an NBA guy with no experience running or even being around a college program it is a crap shoot. While he may get an NBA coaching job and do very well, running a college program is so much more than just coaching.

Comment

• Griffin would have access to some 4* and 5* guys. He'd also have access to some NBA player money for NIL from guys who would want to see him succeed.

A 5* guy pushing the FVV clothing line could get interesting. Coaching college basketball changed forever with NIL and the portal. Access to top-tier players and access to the funds to sign them are probably the two most important things for a college coach in the current environment.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Well this is apparently completely unrelated to the other incident. Bad enough to shut the program down for a bit...
                Multiple hazing incidents by players bad enough to report to the police according to different NMSU fans.

Comment

• Irony - Did anyone see the tweet on who broke the story? Jeff *******.

TP probably is still communicating with him and gave him a heads up. Lol

Comment

• He’s a crappy journalist cyborg sent back through time to snuff out the entire 3G coaching tree.

Comment

• I don't completely understand the hesitation about Mark Turgeon. I've said this before and I will say it again. I think more folks would be positive if he HADN'T ever coached at WSU. Just imagine if he would have taken a team from a similar program in a similar conference to a Sweet 16 before he went to Texas A&M and Maryland. And remember how tough the MVC was during his entire tenure.

Comment

• I haven't been here for some time, but I wanted to point out the situation about Heiar, but as usual, you guys were all over it. I also hope IB gets the boot and we get a better coach, not that it matters, but I'm OK with either of the two (or three) names most frequently mentioned. IB is just 'too nice' and he probably should have developed a little fire in his belly.

I saw something like this when I worked for one of the largest insurers in the world. We had a very strong-willed CEO who surrounded himself with soft 'yes' men (only way they could survive) and when one of the soft 'yes' men was elevated (after the strong-willed guy's demise), the company cratered around him due to a lack of awareness on the successor's part.

From my view, what I'm seeing around this team reminds me a lot of that experience. Soft 'go-along-to-get-along' guy experiences initial success (with the old guy's recruits) but ultimately fails after his recruits take advantage of his softness.

I'll keep watching and hope for the best but if he can't win after three years and the trajectory is downward, we would eventually get to the depth of the downside risk with IB even if we hire someone like a Cohen. Seems like the downside is risk-neutral and now that we're in the AAC, we ought to be able to either get someone who is a rising star or get an experienced coach who can at least get the program righted.
                        Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; February 11, 2023, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                          I believe Griffin would be a very risky hire. Anytime you hire an NBA guy with no experience running or even being around a college program it is a crap shoot. While he may get an NBA coaching job and do very well, running a college program is so much more than just coaching.
                          Agree. But I will say that I get a different vibe out of Griffin than other ex-NBA guys. He really does seem to be wired to be an HC, either pro or high level college ball.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Agree. But I will say that I get a different vibe out of Griffin than other ex-NBA guys. He really does seem to be wired to be an HC, either pro or high level college ball.
                            I feel the same. Griffin seems to have the fire to make it work, and as the college ball game starts to shift closer to NBA models (see NIL, recruiting, styles of offense/defense), I think someone like him could really excel. Plus it’s exciting to hear that someone WANTS IT as he has said. In my experience, if someone like him works it hard enough, they turn out to be a success even if years 1-2 are a bit rough in the learning curve.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              I don't completely understand the hesitation about Mark Turgeon. I've said this before and I will say it again. I think more folks would be positive if he HADN'T ever coached at WSU. Just imagine if he would have taken a team from a similar program in a similar conference to a Sweet 16 before he went to Texas A&M and Maryland. And remember how tough the MVC was during his entire tenure.
                              I was a big Turg fan. That's when we got our tickets. Toward the end I was weary of the "Jack Hartman" games, 53-51.

Comment

• We really need to have our act together on the NIL front no matter who we hire for the next coach

Comment

Working...
                                X