Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance is averaging 1,749 fewer this year than last year. The average is 6,616 per game. This can't continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      I'd rather take a shot at Griffin than recycle Turg
      I’m the same way. Turg is to the point that there’s even a meme account of him on Reddit. Look, he’s an okay coach. He’s, to me, the very definition of a meh hire. I want someone exciting, some new blood whether that’s Griffin or someone else.

Comment

• If we fire a black coach and replace him with a white coach will all hell break loose?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          If we fire a black coach and replace him with a white coach will all hell break loose?
          If he's been arrested recently for choking his girlfriend, probably. Unless he can get us into the NCAA tourney the next year, then probably not. But if he doesn't then probably. Unless he lands a 5* in the following off season, then probably not. But if he can't get us to the NCAA the year after that with a 5*, then definitely.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

I’m the same way. Turg is to the point that there’s even a meme account of him on Reddit. Look, he’s an okay coach. He’s, to me, the very definition of a meh hire. I want someone exciting, some new blood whether that’s Griffin or someone else.
            I'm all for new blood, and would be happy with Adrian Griffin, but I will push back against the argument that Mark Turgeon is just an okay coach. He has an overall record of 479–275 (.635), has been to the NCAAT 10 times, and has two Sweet Sixteen appearances. For a retread coach WSU could do far, far worse.

Comment

If we fire a black coach and replace him with a white coach will all hell break loose?
              Maybe hire Kamale Harris as HC. She checks all boxes.

Seriously, Who cares? He'll get at least 8-10 black players and a couple black coaches. So who should complain more blacks, whites, indians or Asians?
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm all for new blood, and would be happy with Adrian Griffin, but I will push back against the argument that Mark Turgeon is just an okay coach. He has an overall record of 479–275 (.635), has been to the NCAAT 10 times, and has two Sweet Sixteen appearances. For a retread coach WSU could do far, far worse.
                I’ll give you that. He’s better than okay. But I guess I have higher aspirations than sweet sixteen, and for some reason, everywhere he’s been, Turg just hasn’t gotten it done. If it’s between him and IB though, give me Turgeon. I just wouldn’t be ecstatic about it

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

I’ll give you that. He’s better than okay. But I guess I have higher aspirations than sweet sixteen, and for some reason, everywhere he’s been, Turg just hasn’t gotten it done. If it’s between him and IB though, give me Turgeon. I just wouldn’t be ecstatic about it
                  With where IB has our program we shouldn’t disqualify a coach because he only gets his teams to the NCAA tournament most years. Not to mention his best team at Maryland was the year COVID cancelled the tournament. It’s not a stretch to think that team could’ve done damage (they were 11 on KenPom.) If that team could’ve gotten past the Sweet 16 he would’ve had same amount of “past Sweet 16s” as Gregg Marshall.

I don’t think Mark Turgeon is a 100% no brainer pick. I think after we conduct a search he will be the best option and it won’t really be that close. There are plenty of NBA guys who could not figure out college basketball. If that happens to us our program is dead. Offer me Mark Turgeon, top 3 in the AAC with a chance at an NCAA tournament berth every year and I will be ecstatic. Turgeon being cheap and having the program in a spot to have our pick of any mid-major coach we want in 5-10 years is just a huge bonus.

Comment

• If we hire Turgeon I'm done. Saal can't be that lazy
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Kristi Bredbenner

Comment

I’m not sure all hell will break loose but somebody somewhere will make it a point of contention
                        Last edited by shoxlax; February 10, 2023, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I’m not sure all hell will break loose but somebody somewhere will make it a point on contention
                          I have found it very interesting over the last few years, that a university that is pushing "diversity" (over and over and over) amongst its administration, faculty and the students it admits, has been so non-diverse with the basketball coach and the players. Diversity for one should mean diversity for all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                            Mark Turgeon from 2008-2021
                            318-153 (68% WP)
                            1 NIT runner up
                            10 NCAA Tournaments
                            1 Sweet 16 (possibly another in Covid canceled tourney)
                            8 NCAAT wins
                            8 top 5 finishes in P5 conferences, including Big Ten runner up twice and SEC runner up once
                            2020 Big Ten champs

Wichita State from 2008-2021
                            347-127 (73% WP)
                            1 NIT title, 1 SF
                            8 NCAA Tournaments including one first four flameout
                            2 Sweet 16s
                            1 Final Four
                            10 NCAAT wins (one first four)
                            1 AAC title in the COVID year

If Turgeon takes that top 10 Big Ten champ Maryland team to the Final Four, his resume at least equals ours since he left. Some of you need to seriously look in the mirror and check where our program is at. You’re not going to find a guy with even half the resume of MT. He’s a winner, and if he wants this job it’ll be to win again here. He did it before with our program coming out of a bad stretch. Why are some so against letting him set the table again?

Bump.

We cannot afford to take a chance on a guy who isn’t proven. There’s nobody more proven than MT.

As a program we are one bad hire away from being irrelevant for a VERY long time, potentially being secluded from high-level basketball when the inevitable D1 split comes.
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• If it wasn't already clear that Heiar should not be our next coach .. here is another thing to add on to that pile if this ends up being true

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                If it wasn't already clear that Heiar should not be our next coach .. here is another thing to add on to that pile if this ends up being true

Whoa….

Comment

Working...
                                X