Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
    What happened to Kelsey?
    Most on here fly around with names because of a record. Most of the names they mention don't excite me at all.
    I like Kelsey though. My tops down would be, CJans, Griffin, Sampson then Kelsey. I'm not in on any of the others yet. But I have not looked in on many of the others yet. DeVrDeVries seems to excite some. But from what I can see, his top recruit ever is his son and I don't think he has gotten even one kid ready for the NBA. So if anything, he is 1/2 click better than IB.
    Last edited by Atxshoxfan; March 19, 2023, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Most on here fly around with names because of a record. Most of the names they mention don't excite me at all.
      I like Kelsey though. My tops down would be, CJans, Griffin, Sampson then Kelsey. I'm not in on any of the others yet. But I have not looked in on many of the others yet. DeVrDeVries seems to excite some. But from what I can see, his top recruit ever is his son and I believe he is a half-a-click better than ib was this year.
      I just don’t understand why his son is coming into the conversation at all. We’re looking for a COACH.

anyways, of the three, I would say Sampson is a must get. Although I don’t understand the moorehead coach at all, I did have a dream that he ended up coach of the year and completely ruled the AAC. So…

But does Spradlin come from Cal’s coaching tree? Or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

I just don’t understand why his son is coming into the conversation at all. We’re looking for a COACH.

anyways, of the three, I would say Sampson is a must get. Although I don’t understand the moorehead coach at all, I did have a dream that he ended up coach of the year and completely ruled the AAC. So…

But does Spradlin come from Cal’s coaching tree? Or what?
        I'm with you on Sampson if we can't get cj or griffin. He grew up learning basketball, has respect of Houston players and has been groomed to take on a head coaching job by one of the best.
        I'm hoping the delay in an announcement is an agreement between KS and KS to let the tourney play out for Houston first.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

What other coaches out there that you want that we can reasonably attract?
          I’m assuming Jans, Kelsey, Pasternack, Richey, McCasland said thanks but no thanks. DeVries would be a fine get. Sampson I’d have been fine waiting a year with IB. I think IB might be a better coach than Spradlin. Abdur-Rahim over Spradlin, I think that’s an obvious one that wouldn’t say no. Eric Henderson might be better than Spradlin, would be nice to have another year of data on him.

Basically where I’m at is if we get DeVries I’m satisfied. If it’s Sampson or Spradlin I wouldn’t have minded waiting. I realize most posters are more optimistic with Sampson but I just don’t think Sampson Year 1 and IB Year 4 will have a big gap. Throw in IB’s buyout and Sampson being available next offseason and I just don’t think it’s the best trade. I’ll say I’m probably 60/40 on it though, I don’t lean heavily either way.

Spradlin would be a coup by Saal to get his friend a better job than he deserves. If we’re going that route I’d be fine giving someone ridiculous like Ben McCollum a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I’m assuming Jans, Kelsey, Pasternack, Richey, McCasland said thanks but no thanks. DeVries would be a fine get. Sampson I’d have been fine waiting a year with IB. I think IB might be a better coach than Spradlin. Abdur-Rahim over Spradlin, I think that’s an obvious one that wouldn’t say no. Eric Henderson might be better than Spradlin, would be nice to have another year of data on him.

Basically where I’m at is if we get DeVries I’m satisfied. If it’s Sampson or Spradlin I wouldn’t have minded waiting. I realize most posters are more optimistic with Sampson but I just don’t think Sampson Year 1 and IB Year 4 will have a big gap. Throw in IB’s buyout and Sampson being available next offseason and I just don’t think it’s the best trade. I’ll say I’m probably 60/40 on it though, I don’t lean heavily either way.

Spradlin would be a coup by Saal to get his friend a better job than he deserves. If we’re going that route I’d be fine giving someone ridiculous like Ben McCollum a shot.
            I am pretty much here.

With Jans I am not sure if he said "no thanks" or of it could be a contract issue. I know the big donors are behind Jans, but maybe it still isn't enough to cover a buy out. He is only 1 year in, so his buyout could be pretty massive. I don't think I have seen a buyout amount mentioned....so just throwing that out there.

Regardless, I think if Jans was a possibility we would at least be hearing his name more than just from people on this board wanting him. Which is unfortunate because he is pretty much a unanimous #1 for Shockernation.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I am pretty much here.

With Jans I am not sure if he said "no thanks" or of it could be a contract issue. I know the big donors are behind Jans, but maybe it still isn't enough to cover a buy out. He is only 1 year in, so his buyout could be pretty massive. I don't think I have seen a buyout amount mentioned....so just throwing that out there.

Regardless, I think if Jans was a possibility we would at least be hearing his name more than just from people on this board wanting him. Which is unfortunate because he is pretty much a unanimous #1 for Shockernation.
              This is one place I saw that the contract "could be problematic".

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I don't think the money behind the IB move was willing to wait a year. Jans would be the first in the group and I believe Sampson would be a good 2nd Choice. CJ I just don't think will move unless his wife really doesn't cotton to the southern lifestyle. Sampson has the enthusiasm To fire up the dormant Shocker fans and I would be ok with the learning curve of a coule of years while he found his own voice. Adrian Griffen would be my third choice with a hard pass on Josh Pastner.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

I don't think the money behind the IB move was willing to wait a year. Jans would be the first in the group and I believe Sampson would be a good 2nd Choice. CJ I just don't think will move unless his wife really doesn't cotton to the southern lifestyle. Sampson has the enthusiasm To fire up the dormant Shocker fans and I would be ok with the learning curve of a coule of years while he found his own voice. Adrian Griffen would be my third choice with a hard pass on Josh Pastner.
                  I know that group WANTS Jans. Just saying, I wouldn't assume he just flat out turned us down. Just throwing out another theory since none of us truly know.

Regardless, I need this to hurry up and come to a conclusion whatever that may be. For the good of my health. I am NOT a patient person. LMAO

Comment

• Yeah I wouldn’t be happy if I were him, being it’s an under armor school.. and usually under armor schools are harder to recruit to for some reason..

Comment

• I find it interesting how Sampson is getting so much support here. One of the top complaints about IB was his lack of head coaching experience and that WSU is not a training ground for head coaches. On top of that, what’s his record for helping raise funds, get fans excited, recruiting, etc.? As far as I can tell, he’s successful through association and that’s a pretty big risk, IMO. High risk high reward doesn’t always pan out.

Comment

• There are lots of ways to get out of a problematic contract ie smack a player talk harsh to a player smack a relative choke a member of the staff Not good suggestions but a morals clause is embedded in every contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Sounding like DeVries is being pretty heavily courted by ND. And from what I can tell ND fans seem pretty happy about it.

If DeVries goes to ND then I guess we better hope for Sampson if it comes down to him or Spradlin. Unless we can pull a McCasland or something.
                          That’s a pretty large leap from assistant to Drake to Notre Dame in 5 years. I find that hard to believe.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I find it interesting how Sampson is getting so much support here. One of the top complaints about IB was his lack of head coaching experience and that WSU is not a training ground for head coaches. On top of that, what’s his record for helping raise funds, get fans excited, recruiting, etc.? As far as I can tell, he’s successful through association and that’s a pretty big risk, IMO. High risk high reward doesn’t always pan out.
                            It’s just that some assistants have groomed to be HCs. No one would have batted an eye at Tad Boyle or Chris Jans jumping from AHC to HC because both were prepped for that. Nobody looked at Isaac Brown in the same light. Kellen Sampson has been prepped in the same way as TB and CJ.

Speaking of KELLEN, I know someone else in Wichita who
                            would probably enjoy seeing Kellen Sampson taking the job here. Some guy with the same first name.
                            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That’s a pretty large leap from assistant to Drake to Notre Dame in 5 years. I find that hard to believe.
                              I agree. I was surprised it is being talked about like it is. Don't know he is their first choice, but definitely seems to be top 3.

Of course could all be a smoke screen by ND while they wrap up their real coach. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I found it strange also.

Comment

• good speaker

Comment

Working...
                                X