Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turg is yesterday. He’s washed. He never went to a Final Four. It’s time to find an up a coming young coach and put him in a position to recruit (NIL) and get this program back to National prominence.

Comment

• Just for reference if final four appearance is a prerequisite:

only 20 active coaches have been to a FF
      only 91 programs have been to a FF
      only about 175 coaches all time have been to a Ff

All since 1939.

Comment

• Someone find a list of legitimate candidates with 10+ NCAA tournament wins and who made the tournament 6 out of their last 7 years or 10 of their last 14 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Heiar would not be a better hire than Turg
          Heiar's next stop is D1 assistant or juco HC.

Comment

• I know ******* gets a lot of hate here (for good reason) but he suggested Kellen Sampson as potentially a good fit at WSU. Hasn’t heard that suggestion yet. Interesting thought at least. I’m not sure we could hire someone with 0 HC experience at this point but Kellen would know what it takes to win and how to do it. I still favor Pat Kelsey as our next HC (if Jans isn’t an option).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Do tell how we can do “A LOT better than Turg”.

Fascinating……
              We COULD do A LOT better than Mark in the same way that I COULD have dated Carrie Underwood. Technically true but very unlikely.
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

We COULD do A LOT better than Mark in the same way that I COULD have dated Carrie Underwood. Technically true but very unlikely.
                VERY

Comment

• No offense intended.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                    I know ******* gets a lot of hate here (for good reason) but he suggested Kellen Sampson as potentially a good fit at WSU. Hasn’t heard that suggestion yet. Interesting thought at least. I’m not sure we could hire someone with 0 HC experience at this point but Kellen would know what it takes to win and how to do it. I still favor Pat Kelsey as our next HC (if Jans isn’t an option).
                    No coach that hasn't run a program somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                      I know ******* gets a lot of hate here (for good reason) but he suggested Kellen Sampson as potentially a good fit at WSU. Hasn’t heard that suggestion yet. Interesting thought at least. I’m not sure we could hire someone with 0 HC experience at this point but Kellen would know what it takes to win and how to do it. I still favor Pat Kelsey as our next HC (if Jans isn’t an option).
                      I floated his name a while back when discussing possible assistants from successful programs but most on this board are adamantly against anyone who hasn't already been a successful HC somewhere
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Do tell how we can do “A LOT better than Turg”.

Fascinating……
                        wow Doc, Goals don’t seem to lofty.

Comment

• Originally posted by swiltar71 View Post

We could also do A LOT better than Turg. We will never press, break a press or play zone. Can he recruit and be competitive "at this level?" The cupboard was bare when he left.
                          LOL

Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Mark Turgeon from 2008-2021
                            318-153 (68% WP)
                            1 NIT runner up
                            10 NCAA Tournaments
                            1 Sweet 16 (possibly another in Covid canceled tourney)
                            8 NCAAT wins
                            8 top 5 finishes in P5 conferences, including Big Ten runner up twice and SEC runner up once
                            2020 Big Ten champs

Wichita State from 2008-2021
                            347-127 (73% WP)
                            1 NIT title, 1 SF
                            8 NCAA Tournaments including one first four flameout
                            2 Sweet 16s
                            1 Final Four
                            10 NCAAT wins (one first four)
                            1 AAC title in the COVID year

If Turgeon takes that top 10 Big Ten champ Maryland team to the Final Four, his resume at least equals ours since he left. Some of you need to seriously look in the mirror and check where our program is at. You’re not going to find a guy with even half the resume of MT. He’s a winner, and if he wants this job it’ll be to win again here. He did it before with our program coming out of a bad stretch. Why are some so against letting him set the table again?
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                              Mark Turgeon from 2008-2021
                              318-153 (68% WP)
                              1 NIT runner up
                              10 NCAA Tournaments
                              1 Sweet 16 (possibly another in Covid canceled tourney)
                              8 NCAAT wins
                              8 top 5 finishes in P5 conferences, including Big Ten runner up twice and SEC runner up once
                              2020 Big Ten champs

Wichita State from 2008-2021
                              347-127 (73% WP)
                              1 NIT title, 1 SF
                              8 NCAA Tournaments including one first four flameout
                              2 Sweet 16s
                              1 Final Four
                              10 NCAAT wins (one first four)
                              1 AAC title in the COVID year

If Turgeon takes that top 10 Big Ten champ Maryland team to the Final Four, his resume at least equals ours since he left. Some of you need to seriously look in the mirror and check where our program is at. You’re not going to find a guy with even half the resume of MT. He’s a winner, and if he wants this job it’ll be to win again here. He did it before with our program coming out of a bad stretch. Why are some so against letting him set the table again?
                              I feel some have an inflated view of who they think we could realistically land.

Don't settle for Turgeon. Do a full search and make the best hire you can.

But I think Turgeon is higher on that list than some want to admit.

Good post!
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• IB is definitely learning on the job. Some players are showing improvement and the team as a whole is improving.
                                If I were AD, I would be checking the pulse of good candidates to replace IB behind the scenes, just to see who's available and the price of a change. While doing so, I would be evaluating this team for continued improvement. I would also be taking the pulses of our best current players as to the dangers of transferring out, in both cases of with or without IB. Only after these things happen, can he pull a trigger on IB or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X