Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogler - no national search (mixed results but overall not the right hire, bolted early)
    Cohen - no national search, bad hire
    Thompson - national search, bad hire
    Smithson - no national search, bad hire, but he was so successful at JUCO he had to be given a shot
    Turgeon - national search, great hire
    Marshall - national search, home run hire
    Brown - no national search, bad hire

we’re 2 for 7 since Smithson

Comment

• IF, big IF Turgeon is on the table, I would take him. With that said, I would hope/expect we looked beyond familiar faces in the search. Everyone on here loves Jans, Forbes, etc. I don't think those guys are leaving, in fact, I would say the chances are near zero.

Does ADKS take a flier on a young guy at a smaller school? I'm sure he has connections we haven't heard about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Fogler - no national search (mixed results but overall not the right hire, bolted early)
        Smithson - no national search, bad hire, but he was so successful at JUCO he had to be given a shot

Both Turgeon and Marshall were targeted hires.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I don't think anyone here has said limit it to what we know. Those we know get more love because we know them.

Also, as I've said many times, hiring an assistant isn't the worst thing ever, if that assistant has actually been groomed for and is seen as someone that can and will be successful. Had Marshall left while Jans or Forbes been on the bench and one of them given the job, we'd have been fine and nobody would have complained. We all knew the odds favored them and that they would be successful head coaches. Absolutely nobody had ever talked about Brown being a HC.

This is also why when things went down, Jans was a favorite. He'd already proven to be capable of success as a head coach and he would have been able to continue the program much in the style and energy that we were used to. It wasn't just because he was in the circle, but he'd proven himself as well.

So yes, a guy like Heiar who would be attainable, has been seen as a future and successful HC would be on most anyone's list around here and rightfully so. But lets stop pretending that we've only talked about and discussed those types. We've had many discussions over a lot of coaches on this thread, and in a few others. Some of those discussions don't get as in depth because many of us aren't as familiar with them and it's generally hard to discuss what you don't know. That doesn't stop some people, but it's the truth.

So while Turgeon and Heiar have been discussed and have a history here, we've also talked at least some about Drew Valentine, Jeff Linder, Grant McCasland, Niko Medved, Bob Richey, Darian DeVries, Adrian Griffin, Joe Pasternack, Rick Pitino, Richard Pitino, Bobby Hurley, Pat Kelsey, Steve Prohm and I'm sure I've missed some.

I'm also sure there are probably others worth discussing if any of us ever dig into more of them. And outside of Griffin, these are all head coaches. Pretty sure there are probably some high level assistants that could be considered as well. Adam Cohen (Xavier), Alvin Brooks III (Baylor), Brooks Savage (Wake Forest), Cy Young (Missouri), Duane Broussard (TCU), Kellen Sampson Jr. (Houston).

Another former NBA player with experience in coaching is Nick Van Exel. I believe he's spent a little time in college but is currently an NBA assistant.

I admit I threw a number of names out there. I know some of your are 100% absolutely opposed to an assistant coach of any kind. But what little I have seen on some of these guys, they are at least worth looking into.
          Last edited by SubGod22; January 5, 2023, 10:27 AM.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I don't think anyone here has said limit it to what we know. Those we know get more love because we know them.

Also, as I've said many times, hiring an assistant isn't the worst thing ever, if that assistant has actually been groomed for and is seen as someone that can and will be successful. Had Marshall left while Jans or Forbes been on the bench and one of them given the job, we'd have been fine and nobody would have complained. We all knew the odds favored them and that they would be successful head coaches. Absolutely nobody had ever talked about Brown being a HC.

This is also why when things went down, Jans was a favorite. He'd already proven to be capable of success as a head coach and he would have been able to continue the program much in the style and energy that we were used to. It wasn't just because he was in the circle, but he'd proven himself as well.

So yes, a guy like Heiar who would be attainable, has been seen as a future and successful HC would be on most anyone's list around here and rightfully so. But lets stop pretending that we've only talked about and discussed those types. We've had many discussions over a lot of coaches on this thread, and in a few others. Some of those discussions don't get as in depth because many of us aren't as familiar with them and it's generally hard to discuss what you don't know. That doesn't stop some people, but it's the truth.

So while Turgeon and Heiar have been discussed and have a history here, we've also talked at least some about Drew Valentine, Jeff Linder, Grant McCasland, Niko Medved, Bob Richey, Darian DeVries, Adrian Griffin, Joe Pasternack, Rick Pitino, Richard Pitino, Bobby Hurley, Pat Kelsey, Steve Prohm and I'm sure I've missed some.

I'm also sure there are probably others worth discussing if any of us ever dig into more of them. And outside of Griffin, these are all head coaches. Pretty sure there are probably some high level assistants that could be considered as well. Adam Cohen (Xavier), Alvin Brooks III (Baylor), Brooks Savage (Wake Forest), Cy Young (Missouri), Duane Broussard (TCU), Kellen Sampson Jr. (Houston).

Another former NBA player with experience in coaching is Nick Van Exel. I believe he's spent a little time in college but is currently an NBA assistant.

I admit I through a number of names out there. I know some of your are 100% absolutely opposed to an assistant coach of any kind. But what little I have seen on some of these guys, they are at least worth looking into.
            Lots of good information here.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Fogler - no national search (mixed results but overall not the right hire, bolted early)

The only information that you mentioned that isn't correct (looking way back to 1986) is the Fogler search not being national search. There were three Div. 1 Head Coaching Candidates (all with winning programs) on that search, and Fogler who was the only Asst. Coach. I only remember 3 of the 4, so if someone else remembers additional information, or if my memory is faulty, give us your memories.

Whether Fogler was the best candidate, can be debated. In 1986, you actually could carry out a national search with candidates who would tell you of their interest. Today, that will blow up in an AD's face, so they have to carry out a search below the surface, and not mention the other candidates for fear, that publicity will hurt the candidate.

Eddie Fogler, (Asst. Head Coach North Carolina)
              Jim Harrick (Pepperdine Head Coach) who a year or two later was named UCLA Head Coach
              Wyoming Head Coach, Pretty sure his name was Brandenburg who had a high winning record.

Comment

• Jim Brandenburg (born December 10, 1935) is an American retired college basketball coach.[1] As the head coach at the University of Montana (1976–1978), the University of Wyoming (1978–1987), and San Diego State University (1987–1992), he compiled a career record of 254–213 (.544).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The only information that you mentioned that isn't correct (looking way back to 1986) is the Fogler search not being national search. There were three Div. 1 Head Coaching Candidates (all with winning programs) on that search, and Fogler who was the only Asst. Coach. I only remember 3 of the 4, so if someone else remembers additional information, or if my memory is faulty, give us your memories.

Whether Fogler was the best candidate, can be debated. In 1986, you actually could carry out a national search with candidates who would tell you of their interest. Today, that will blow up in an AD's face, so they have to carry out a search below the surface, and not mention the other candidates for fear, that publicity will hurt the candidate.

Eddie Fogler, (Asst. Head Coach North Carolina)
                  Jim Harrick (Pepperdine Head Coach) who a year or two later was named UCLA Head Coach
                  Wyoming Head Coach, Pretty sure his name was Brandenburg who had a high winning record.
                  Danny Nee who ended up being hired by Nebraska, I think the same year as Fogler publicly expressed interest. I think he said he would take it over the Nebraska job.

Comment

• I don't know who the Shox should hire next, but I want him to have a little of this...

Comment

I have been told that Jim Valvano was going to take the job until he was diagnosed with cancer. So I think that would qualify as national search.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I have been told that Jim Valvano was going to take the job until he was diagnosed with cancer. So I think that would qualify as national search.
                        A ‘free’ home with a ‘red roof’ was part of the package…
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

A ‘free’ home with a ‘red roof’ was part of the package…
                          That was in 1991 or 1992, after the firing of Cohen I imagine.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            I don't know who the Shox should hire next, but I want him to have a little of this...

I think he is saying that they need to watch some film and have a good week of practice and they are getting better.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I suppose Chris Beard is now available to discuss...
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I suppose Chris Beard is now available to discuss...
                                Hiring a coach fired for abuse is probably off the table .. even if it was domestic abuse and not player abuse.

Also ADKS seems like an EXTREME family man. His wife and kids are always mentioned and part of everything. I do not think he would even remotely entertain someone with domestic abuse issues.

And unfortunately, even if Chris Beard is found innocent or charges dropped the first part still probably prevents him from being a serious candidate. PR nightmare for a school really needing positive PR.

Comment

Working...
                                X