Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

C’mon man! My wife (my wife) would say the same thing. “Honey, you have a sick sense of humor.” Different strokes for different folks.
    Come-on man, someone mentions the circle cinema on this thread and now you chime in about folks strokes. I thought this was a family friendly site.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Huh, interesting. I read somewhere that the DA for Austin only takes "slam dunk" cases forward and that they likely wouldn't given the developments. Perhaps the charges can't be outright dropped but the DA can decline to prosecute. Either way it won't get far without the fiancée's testimony.
      I'm guessing it's to prevent abusers from being able to talk their victims into recanting through either threats of more violence or promises to be better. Puts it instead in the hands of the DA to make the call .

Before he was fired I thought there might be some high power boosters putting pressure on the DA to drop charges but now that he's fired it might be the opposite. Those charges save UT 35 million

Comment

• At this point Kirk assisted by Spock, Bones and Scotty works for me

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He will absolutely end up coaching elsewhere ... I don't think that's up for debate. I just don't see how it will be here for the reasons I listed. If we didn't have the 3G situation and we were just replacing an underperforming coach, we could probably ride out the PR storm. But the way the 3G situation went down where there was a notion that WSU tried to hide it (and semi backed up by giving a severance agreement vs just straight termination) makes it way worse.

Also the HCIB situation is a bit different. We were backed into a corner where HCIB was the only option due to public perception. This is different, we have unlimited other options. Can we afford the other options? I don't know, only ADKS does.

Also a decent chance the legal aspects wont be resolved until after we need to hire a new coach anyways.
          Wrong.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Chris Beard can flat out coach. Some program WILL pick him up and he will win big again. He was one Jarrett Culver missed three-pointer away from having Texas freaking Tech win the national championship four years ago.

Comment

• My gut tells me that we win tonight and a few more with IB getting credit for an improving team, however, attendance still in the 5-6K range. Now what? Regardless, I have seen enough evidence he just can't coach but worry others can't see it. I will watch, as always, tonight and hope they win, BUT I won't be disappointed much in another loss. Wondering how many W's IB needs to hang on???? What level of attendance going forward? Will two wins in the tournament be enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                They better be at least kicking the tires on Beard and doing their due diligence.

(Again) IF found innocent, he would be a slam-dunk, home-run, hat-trick of a hire.
                Agreed. We already have a reputation as a bad boy program. Remember that quote about Wichita State going to the nice side of town with a pack of matches to burn it down? And our Play Angry slogan. It's all in good fun. Not anything serious like running a crooked program. But we are and were known as a bad boy program.

So take a coach who got a black eye, maybe undeservedly, and give him a second chance. He's already proven he can take a program that never was a basketball powerhouse (Texas Tech) to literally within one missed shot of a national championship win. The media is going to say what they're going to say anyway about our program.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

Agreed. We already have a reputation as a bad boy program. Remember that quote about Wichita State going to the nice side of town with a pack of matches to burn it down? And our Play Angry slogan. It's all in good fun. Not anything serious like running a crooked program. But we are and were known as a bad boy program.

So take a coach who got a black eye, maybe undeservedly, and give him a second chance. He's already proven he can take a program that never was a basketball powerhouse (Texas Tech) to literally within one missed shot of a national championship win. The media is going to say what they're going to say anyway about our program.
                  No one thinks anything of us these days. We're irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

No one thinks anything of us these days. We're irrelevant.
                    Hiring Beard would get them talking
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                      I'll probably get some hate for this take but here's reality: In the sports realm, public perception only matters for 5 minutes. Once some time has passed people only pay attention to winning/losing. IF public perception was all that mattered and the ultimate arbiter, Rick Pitino, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Urban Meyer and countless others in sports would be unemployed.

Simply put, people care about winning and losing. They might get mad or upset but it quickly goes away when the games begin.
                      Yes

Comment

• The problem with Beard is that if you hire him, you get the GF too. If she's called the cops when she was the aggressor, she's likely to do it again, and then it's on your dime when it happens.

That situation is about as toxic as Hiroshima on the 7th of August, 1945.

With Turgeon saying it would have to be the right place and the right fit for his family, that's like him submitting his resume to WSU. He might be willing to work for less than market value to be near his parents and a brother. I think his wife is also originally from Kansas.

If Turg came back, I'm confident he'd do anything in his power to show that he could do what Marshall did. Sampson is a recycled P5 coach. How's that working out for Houston?

Turgeon is at an ideal stage in his career for coaching WSU. He would be close to family as he approached retirement. Turgeon could easily be a 15-year hire. Some of the "up and comers" might look at WSU as a stepping stone to get to a P5.

Turg can recruit and he can coach. Maybe he's not what schools in the BiG want, but the AAC isn't the BiG. The AAC could be the ideal fit for Turg.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Thanks for covering both threads, Wu
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If we have another incident (violence against players or domestic violence), the consequences could be far worse than what we saw with Marshall. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. Look at SMU. They just got probation for paying players in 1980, but the next time they got with a repeat violator clause and had their entire next season canceled. Or look at Louisville, who followed up the 2015 sex scandal with recruiting violations. We see the results they are getting on the court. Or look at Indiana, who slapped Bob Knight on the wrist in 2000 after investigating and shortly thereafter fired him. They went from a blue blood to an also-ran and have yet to recover.

The public scrutiny of a university is much higher on a repeated violations. It is extremely difficult to recover from a reputation. As Bush once said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Comment

• Even if that’s true: Would we be in a worse position then where we are now?
                              The Assman

Comment

• Fun responses to Taylor's recent tweets. Some highlights:

One guy who thinks "playing angry" and just watching film from the Marshall years will impart talent by osmosis to a team that can't shoot, can't score, and is becoming increasingly worse on defense.

One guy who called Saal a "Do Nothing" AD.

One guy who thinks IB wearing a polo is the reason the team is doing poorly (and threw in a Remember the Titans reference to boot).

Man this is exhausting.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X