Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

I don't think the money behind the IB move was willing to wait a year. Jans would be the first in the group and I believe Sampson would be a good 2nd Choice. CJ I just don't think will move unless his wife really doesn't cotton to the southern lifestyle. Sampson has the enthusiasm To fire up the dormant Shocker fans and I would be ok with the learning curve of a coule of years while he found his own voice. Adrian Griffen would be my third choice with a hard pass on Josh Pastner.
    That’s part of my point though. The money was behind getting rid of IB but now we are looking at a couple cheap options in Sampson (making $300k) and Spradlin ($180k). You’d think if the money was behind getting rid of IB they’d be behind throwing some real money at a top-tier candidate. I guess it’s possible the money gave Saal an ultimatum and said replace IB or we’re done forever without offering up a ton of cash to support the move but I hope they realize the damage that could do to the program long-term if the cheap replacement flames out. But if money is a problem then we wouldn’t have even needed the money to get rid of IB next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I find it interesting how Sampson is getting so much support here. One of the top complaints about IB was his lack of head coaching experience and that WSU is not a training ground for head coaches. On top of that, what’s his record for helping raise funds, get fans excited, recruiting, etc.? As far as I can tell, he’s successful through association and that’s a pretty big risk, IMO. High risk high reward doesn’t always pan out.
      I think that most that had a problem with IB used the lack of head coaching experience as the lightening rod for all of the perceived shortcomings they felt was occurring. Plus there was the perception that there may not have been a thorough search done by the former AD or perhaps the decision was the easiest at that time to try and save the following year but the lack of an NIL agreement effectively killed that. So if Sampson does indeed to turn out to be the best choice by ADKS that eliminates a part of the original misgivings in hiring an assistant coach with no head coaching experience. Of curse this is pure conjecture on my part as is the rest until we know what the final decision is, Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

That’s part of my point though. The money was behind getting rid of IB but now we are looking at a couple cheap options in Sampson (making $300k) and Spradlin ($180k). You’d think if the money was behind getting rid of IB they’d be behind throwing some real money at a top-tier candidate. I guess it’s possible the money gave Saal an ultimatum and said replace IB or we’re done forever without offering up a ton of cash to support the move but I hope they realize the damage that could do to the program long-term if the cheap replacement flames out. But if money is a problem then we wouldn’t have even needed the money to get rid of IB next year.

I really believe that the people with the money have promised enough money that we don't have to go cheap because that would defeat the whole purpose behind IB being fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Taylor Eldridge @tayloreldridge

Drake head coach Darian DeVries Houston assistant Kellen Sampson Morehead State head coach Preston Spradlin In no particular order, those are the 3 names I’ve been hearing are being considered by Wichita State for its men’s basketball opening.
          This is a very disappointing list. Sampson is the only one that would get me excited.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

This is a very disappointing list. Sampson is the only one that would get me excited.
            I don't know anything about the MSU coach. Sampson is probably my choice if we're only discussing these 3. I think Sampson has the highest ceiling. He might also have the highest risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That’s a pretty large leap from assistant to Drake to Notre Dame in 5 years. I find that hard to believe.
              Didn't Mike Brey come from Delaware to ND?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Didn't Mike Brey come from Delaware to ND?
                Looks like the ND program took a bit of the hit in the 90s. Their stature now is a bit more elevated.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Huskers swimming in cash. Money is an afterthought. Not a good comparison.
                  Thanks for missing the point.
                  "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Got a feeling it's Kellen Sampson, too much smoke there. He's interested, we are interested. Wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of agreement this week that we have agreed but are going 5o let him finish out the season
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                      Got a feeling it's Kellen Sampson, too much smoke there. He's interested, we are interested. Wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of agreement this week that we have agreed but are going 5o let him finish out the season
                      I think that we’d feel better about him given that he KNOWS and has helped dominate the AAC. It’s reassuring really. Whereas DeVries has not.

Like I said before, if they compare Sampson to tang and Lloyd, sign me up

Comment

• Random thought...has anyone given a thought about the possibility that FHCGM had some dialog with the money guy/guys about moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post

Thanks for missing the point.
                          Okay enlighten me then einstein.

Comment

• I agree with the last sentence. I have a feeling there may be a lot of surpise hires. Perhaps even ours.

I won't get my hopes up, but I will wait to see how everyrhing plays out.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I guess it’s possible the money gave Saal an ultimatum and said replace IB or we’re done forever without offering up a ton of cash to support the move but I hope they realize the damage that could do to the program long-term.

Comment

• Is there a Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Shaka Smart type out there right now? A current/former P5 coach that dominated at a high mid-major/BE school that is now looking to get back to a basketball loving school?

Chris Mack would fit that bill, but does he want to get back into coaching right now? Does anyone else fit that description? Just trying to think of any potential surprise candidates.
                                Last edited by Shock Top; March 19, 2023, 12:00 PM.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X