Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I’m not there yet, but it’s approaching the point that I’m wishing we’d have given IB another year. He seemed like he was learning how to be a head coach, we could’ve saved however much on the buyout, and all these mid-tier candidates (or similar) would’ve been available next year.
    What other coaches out there that you want that we can reasonably attract?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Having a close connection with him shouldn’t just thrust him into consideration. Saal better be smarter than that and to this point, I find him to be. If he chooses Spradlin, then this whole program is ****ed and expectations have been lowered significantly overall.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Drake fans only seem concerned about Notre Dame, but think someone else will get the job there like Shrewsberry from Penn State or Langel from Colgate. They don’t think that there is another job that would fit him. WSU isn’t even mentioned as a possibility. Maybe they haven’t heard the rumors. I don’t know if it is accurate, but I read that DeVries is making $800,000 which is surprising. Drake’s home attendance was only 3,500 per game. Langel is interesting because he has been at Colgate for 12 years, but did not have his first winning season until his 7th season. Colgate has been conference champions, tournament champions and in the NCAA’s the last 5 years except for the year the tourneys weren’t held.

Spradlin was considered for the Western Kentucky job, but Corpus Christi’s Lutz got it. He would probably be a lot cheaper than DeVries.
        Last edited by Shocker82/85; March 18, 2023, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
          Drake fans only seem concerned about Notre Dame, but think someone else will get the job there like Shrewsberry from Penn State or Langel from Colgate. They don’t think that there is another job that would fit him. WSU isn’t even mentioned as a possibility. Maybe they have heard the rumors. I don’t know if it is accurate, but I read that DeVries is making $800,000 which is surprising. Drake’s home attendance was only 3,500 per game. Langel is interesting because he has been at Colgate for 12 years, but did not have his first winning season until his 7th season. Colgate has been conference champions, tournament champions and in the NCAA’s the last 5 years except for the year the tourneys weren’t held.

Spradlin was considered for the Western Kentucky job, but Corpus Christi’s Lutz got it. He would probably be a lot cheaper than DeVries.
          Getting or going after somebody just cuz they’re cheaper typically doesn’t go well. You get what you pay for.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I was just stating a fact about Spradlin not that he would be my choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Getting or going after somebody just cuz they’re cheaper typically doesn’t go well. You get what you pay for.
              If money was that much of an issue, would ADKS not have stuck with Isaac Brown for one more year?

Comment

• Looks like this current coaching search is turning into a cold dose of reality for a lot of fans who wanted this all to happen.

Still think it was the right move….a coach can’t lose the donors and be successful. We needed a reset.

Comment

• Watching this again makes me think Kellen’s dad is encouraging his son to take the job.

He knows the power and potential the program has.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Ashockalypse, as one of the many clowns in this forum I feel qualified in anointing you as the clowniest clown in all of clowndom. I can just visualize you, Atxshoxfan and ShockingButTrue piling out out of your PT Cruiser at the nearest Arby’s with free wifi
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Spradlin was rumored as a top 3 choice at Western Kentucky and didn't get the offer. That should tell you everything you need to know. He did just take Morehead into Clemson in the NIT and knock them off to stay alive. I'm skeptical but maybe that is because I just hadn't heard of him before TE's report.

Comment

• Spradlin's winning percentage as a head coach after seven seasons is only .535. He's had three losing seasons. DeVries is at .718 after five seasons. He's never had a losing season and never won fewer than 20 games in a season.

Sampson is unproven as a head coach but does bring recruiting connections, a proven coaching lineage, respect for the program as evidenced by Kelvin's comments about WSU's history, knowledge of the AAC, etc.

Comment

• I never trust these "word on the street is..." reports, but if those three are the ones getting the most run, I'd go for Sampson EVERY SINGLE TIME! I think he'd be the clear "bang for the bucks" leader of that group.

He obviously doesn't have the recruiting chops of his Dad, but selling "playing Houston-style basketball" would go a long ways in recruiting. I think he's learned how to install a system, recruit players for that system, and get the players to buy in and go all in on that system.

I think he'd be the most likely of that bunch of prospects to keep the significant roster parts. He might be able to be hired for a lower-dollar incentive-loaded package with some bumps after the buyouts are done. Guarantee the contract until the buyouts are done and have a renegotiation clause built in at that point.

Be a lot easier to structure something like that with Sampson than with DeVries.

Kelvin would probably help him line up some assistants. Could be risky, but if there's a Tang-like hire out there this year, Sampson could be the guy. We'd have to stop using initials for the coach and the AD.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                            Spradlin's winning percentage as a head coach after seven seasons is only .535. He's had three losing seasons. DeVries is at .718 after five seasons. He's never had a losing season and never won fewer than 20 games in a season.

Sampson is unproven as a head coach but does bring recruiting connections, a proven coaching lineage, respect for the program as evidenced by Kelvin's comments about WSU's history, knowledge of the AAC, etc.
                            Sounding like DeVries is being pretty heavily courted by ND. And from what I can tell ND fans seem pretty happy about it.

If DeVries goes to ND then I guess we better hope for Sampson if it comes down to him or Spradlin. Unless we can pull a McCasland or something.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Just an FYI, my sources tell me Spradlin in the mix at Wichita State and Western. Don’t shoot the messenger. He’s a good source, former Murray ass
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Spradlin's team lost to:

Indiana by 35
                                West Virginia by 18
                                Vanderbilt by 33
                                Marshall by 24
                                Mercer by 27

This year

They play UAB tomorrow at 2pm CST on ESPN+. UAB is favored by 14.5

I know you can't fully judge on those games. Mainly because of the talent gap and trying to recruit to the Ohio Valley. He did go 14-4 in the conference and would have been in the NCAA's if they hadn't lost a close game to SEMO in the conference championship.

But still........
                                Last edited by shockerfan; March 19, 2023, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X