Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So it’s Chris Jans or nothing.
    No, he's just the only one that has been mentioned I am familiar with and believe in. I'm sure KS will find the right guy and it probably won't be anyone we think.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Totally ignored what I said....got it. Lol

Probably won't be Turgeon or Chris Jans. So hopefully you think someone else would be great.
      No, just addressing your "rebuild" reasoning for him not going to the dance more than once in 7 years here.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Aww I don't get this reference.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• In regards to the anti-Creighton identity that multiple posters have mentioned, basketball has and continues to trend to favoring that 3 point identity. Unless there is a drastic change, a 3 point shot has excessive weight in the sport and analytics show that. I’m not really even in favor or DeVries but as someone who wishes coaches in all sports would look at numbers more and learn what Game Theory Optimal even means, I don’t see that identity as a negative at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            In regards to the anti-Creighton identity that multiple posters have mentioned, basketball has and continues to trend to favoring that 3 point identity. Unless there is a drastic change, a 3 point shot has excessive weight in the sport and analytics show that. I’m not really even in favor or DeVries but as someone who wishes coaches in all sports would look at numbers more and learn what Game Theory Optimal even means, I don’t see that identity as a negative at all.
            If you’re referencing my post, I would elaborate and say that I didn’t consider Creighton’s “identity” to be complete enough. In other words, I am pretty sure “Game Theory Optimal” would include a Marshall or Jans-style defense in addition to an offensive focus on the 3 and full competence in that area.

I just think that Korver and McDermott would have been 2 of the all time best 3 point shooters anywhere - that system didn’t create them. And without them, how successful would we actually consider that program to be above many others? I consider the UNI teams and even some Bradley, Illy State, and Saluki teams from that era to be more complete than Creighton was on both ends.

Just my opinion though. I think this fan base wants (and deserves) to cheer the Evan Wessels and Clementes and Lufiles that wouldn’t have really had a place in the Creighton system.

Comment

• Creighton girls like the Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

If you’re referencing my post, I would elaborate and say that I didn’t consider Creighton’s “identity” to be complete enough. In other words, I am pretty sure “Game Theory Optimal” would include a Marshall or Jans-style defense in addition to an offensive focus on the 3 and full competence in that area.

I just think that Korver and McDermott would have been 2 of the all time best 3 point shooters anywhere - that system didn’t create them. And without them, how successful would we actually consider that program to be above many others? I consider the UNI teams and even some Bradley, Illy State, and Saluki teams from that era to be more complete than Creighton was on both ends.

Just my opinion though. I think this fan base wants (and deserves) to cheer the Evan Wessels and Clementes and Lufiles that wouldn’t have really had a place in the Creighton system.
                I just want to win. Don't really care how it's done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

It was referencing your post and others. You weren’t the first to bring it up and probably won’t be the last. I don’t even disagree that I’d rather have our teams over Creighton’s and I think our crowd will always appreciate a defensive stand over trading a few 3 pointers but I’ll inject a little of my own personal opinion and say I don’t think the sport is evolving in our favor. I also think that’s why HCGM seemed to be dropping off a bit and why our team that lost to Marshall wasn’t near as good as they should’ve been.

10 years ago a great defensive team could dominate a great offensive team. With NIL, the transfer portal, rule changes, etc. I think every team is going to need to run n gun and put up a lot of points and I don’t think defense is going to matter.

Comment

• I want someone who has charisma, the anti-Brown.

Comment

It was referencing your post and others. You weren’t the first to bring it up and probably won’t be the last. I don’t even disagree that I’d rather have our teams over Creighton’s and I think our crowd will always appreciate a defensive stand over trading a few 3 pointers but I’ll inject a little of my own personal opinion and say I don’t think the sport is evolving in our favor. I also think that’s why HCGM seemed to be dropping off a bit and why our team that lost to Marshall wasn’t near as good as they should’ve been.

10 years ago a great defensive team could dominate a great offensive team. With NIL, the transfer portal, rule changes, etc. I think every team is going to need to run n gun and put up a lot of points and I don’t think defense is going to matter.
                      I think you’re mistaken, and mixing teams that doesn’t prove your point.

That Shocker team that lost to Marshall was a Creighton type of 3 point shooting type offensive team. When we lost to Cincinnati (a low scoring defensive, physical type of team), at the end of the year to be edged out of the American Championship in a close game in CKA, that score was in the 50’s (a halfcourt game for sure because Cincinnati forced that type of game for both teams). We weren’t as physical or as good of a defensive team as the Bearcats that year. Then we followed up with the Marshall loss.

Comment

• Jans. He should be at the top of the list and everything possible should be done to bring him here.

It's not just that he's a familiar choice. If you stack his resume up against any of the other names, he still would be the top choice. He has a .745 career head coach winning percentage after seven seasons in D-1. That's better than any of the other names. It's better than Gregg Marshall's. And Jans' winning percentage in junior college was .779 with six seasons. He's proven that he's one of the best coaches in college basketball.

But the thing that should make A.D. Saal and everyone else involved in this give everything they have to bring him here is that Jans IS a Shocker. You look at his coaching history, he's been a lot of places, but he spent more time at WSU than anywhere else he's coached.

Comment

I think you’re mistaken, and mixing teams that doesn’t prove your point.

That Shocker team that lost to Marshall was a Creighton type of 3 point shooting type offensive team. When we lost to Cincinnati (a low scoring defensive, physical type of team), at the end of the year to be edged out of the American Championship in a close game in CKA, that score was in the 50’s (a halfcourt game for sure because Cincinnati forced that type of game for both teams). We weren’t as physical or as good of a defensive team as the Bearcats that year. Then we followed up with the Marshall loss.
                          That’s kind of my point. Marshall never fully embraced what that team was. Give that roster to someone who embraces offense/3 pointers and they could’ve been a national title contender. 2 solid NBA contributors in Shamet and Reaves plus Frankamp and McDuffie. That team should never score in the 50s.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                            Jans. He should be at the top of the list and everything possible should be done to bring him here.

It's not just that he's a familiar choice. If you stack his resume up against any of the other names, he still would be the top choice. He has a .745 career head coach winning percentage after seven seasons in D-1. That's better than any of the other names. It's better than Gregg Marshall's. And Jans' winning percentage in junior college was .779 with six seasons. He's proven that he's one of the best coaches in college basketball.

But the thing that should make A.D. Saal and everyone else involved in this give everything they have to bring him here is that Jans IS a Shocker. You look at his coaching history, he's been a lot of places, but he spent more time at WSU than anywhere else he's coached.
                            I have no doubt that call has been or will be made (to his agent). Just a question of Jans coming or not coming. We can want Jans all day long. But he has to want it also.

We will see soon (hopefully). Sorry Jans....love ya....but GO PITT!! Lol Just so we know one way or the other soon.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

That’s kind of my point. Marshall never fully embraced what that team was. Give that roster to someone who embraces offense/3 pointers and they could’ve been a national title contender. 2 solid NBA contributors in Shamet and Reaves plus Frankamp and McDuffie. That team should never score in the 50s.
                              Our best teams were pretty high scoring teams. And Creighton s best teams in those days, weren’t high scoring teams. But they did shoot a lot of 3 point shots.

Comment

Our best teams were pretty high scoring teams. And Creighton s best teams in those days, weren’t high scoring teams. But they did shoot a lot of 3 point shots.
                                Marshall's best teams were more defense/rebounding focused.

Final 4 team only averaged like 70ppg

Undefeated year was a little better. Around 75ppg I think. So pretty good, but not a killer offense.

Feels like when we got to the AAC we started scoring more, but defense got a little worse.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X