Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Scooter be named permanent head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

1. The program doesn’t belong to wins and regionals. There are lots of schools that have never been to a regional, or if they have it’s been decades.

2. A school with no fans and alumni support has never been to a regional.

3. Pro-Hibbs or against Hibbs, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. See an earlier post of mine if questions on that.

Other thoughts:

Hibbs statement makes it 100% that he was in to continue to run the program. Just because they didn’t hire him without a process doesn’t mean he wasn’t wanted. Hell, he could easily be the favorite. In my work world I have seen many put in interim roles. When the job posted, they still had to apply.

If ADKS told fiHCLH that he wasn’t being promoted and wouldn’t be selected if he applied, why did the conversation take an hour and a half?

I hope that fiHCLH throws his hat in the ring for the role. Just like in his statement, you have to earn it. Not just once, but everyday.

If he does, I believe the lessons he teaches these young men by doing so will be much more valuable than anything they learn by winning games and going to regionals.
    Based on Saals statement I do not think Hibbs will be considered. It was made pretty clear in that statement from Saal.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

And I don't get the argument that somehow starting over is better. If a bad last month is so bad you have to make a change.....how are you going to feel about 15-40 next season? Because that is HAPPENING.
      If Mills is 17-15 in year 4 - is he going to be retained?

You just fired 2 guys in your OWN Hall of Fame for going 30-25 with no warning.
      He was a fricking interim coach that just went 30-25 and lost 9 of 13 down the stretch and his team was a embarrassment in the conference tournament. This team was probably going 15-40 next year regardless.

Comment

• Sub, I almost always agree with you, however I would consider beating KSU twice, OU twice and OSU in Stillwater and sweeping ECU pretty special. We were also ranked for the first time in a long time however short it was. I was as upset as anyone how we finished the year. I am big fan of our Softball program, but to be honest didn’t they finish similar to baseball down the stretch? I also felt like if majority of the baseball teams all-league players returned we would have been picked 1st or 2nd pre-season just like the softball team will be picked pre-season next year. I have supported the decisions Kevin has made up until this decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          1) Some players were going to leave because they weren't playing. Doesn't matter who the coach was or wasn't.

2) Some players are leaving because the Coach wasn't retained.

3) Some players are leaving for NIL deals or a combo of 2 and 3.

You aren't stopping the 1s.

You basically aren't stopping the 3s or are there people here donating tens of thousands to AS? Also, is a new coach going to fix that? (Answer:NO)

You're left with 2 which was preventable (and a reason a good number of kids are leaving).

And I don't get the argument that somehow starting over is better. If a bad last month is so bad you have to make a change.....how are you going to feel about 15-40 next season? Because that is HAPPENING.

Even if a buy into the premise...."Keep the mediocre status quo, hopefully get lucky with some talent and recruits and have a good year and make the dance with an average coaching staff".....how is that WORSE than

Blow up the program, bring in a guy who could be great or horrible, we have no idea, completely rebuild the team and program and alienate the vast majority if not ALL of the alumni base and struggle MIGHTILY for at least a year or 2 and quite possibly until you fire him and hire the NEXT guy.

You just fired 2 guys in your OWN Hall of Fame for going 30-25 with no warning.

In all seriousness...WHAT IN THE ACTUAL ****?

Here's the thing. It's OUR program, not his and I don't think he gets that.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Jaden Gustafson in the portal just now.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Fun Fact: WSU hasn’t hosted a regional since the Bush administration.

Now, I know college baseball has changed a lot since the good ol’ days when WSU was a force, but what they were doing clearly hadn’t been working for a long time.

Will the new direction they go work out for the best? Time will tell.
                The Assman

Comment

• 28 players now in transfer portal and several decommits. New coach better be announced soon to give ‘‘em enough time to build a team in next three months before Fall semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You’re an imbecile who contributed ZERO, per usual.
                    Hey!!! An upgrade!!! I WAS a moron last time, so moving on up....

Here's the thing...when the new guy blows up....and considering he won't have a great start, he probably will....you'll be the FIRST to moan and groan...that's your M.O......and the funny thing is, you've never once mentioned anything that would lead to any belief that you know anything about sports...

Hey, but do what you do best...name call, be negative...you know...your daily existence....

Hope Saal calls for your advice, or soon you will turn on him...have a clever name for him yet>? I think you came up with BoatWRONG....that was clever....

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

1. The program doesn’t belong to wins and regionals. There are lots of schools that have never been to a regional, or if they have it’s been decades.

If ADKS told fiHCLH that he wasn’t being promoted and wouldn’t be selected if he applied, why did the conversation take an hour and a half?
                      I said it doesn’t belong to anyone.

I can sign up for the argument that “pissing off the main source of funding for the program is a bad one.” And I tend to agree. I’m assuming that’s been thought about. If it hasn’t, that’s on Saal.

What I don’t agree with is something along the lines of, “He’s a former shocker and he wanted the job so you (KS) shouldn’t mess with it.” I’m out on that argument. Hibbs wasn’t entitled to the job.

As for why Saal would spend an 1.5 hour with him, I can only speculate. If that’s true I think it shows he respected Hibbs and and did consider him, but decided he wasn’t the best option.

I can understand that. and I certainly don’t think it’s a ridiculous opinion to have as an AD.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Hey!!! An upgrade!!! I WAS a moron last time, so moving on up....

Here's the thing...when the new guy blows up....and considering he won't have a great start, he probably will....you'll be the FIRST to moan and groan...that's your M.O......and the funny thing is, you've never once mentioned anything that would lead to any belief that you know anything about sports...

Hey, but do what you do best...name call, be negative...you know...your daily existence....

Hope Saal calls for your advice, or soon you will turn on him...have a clever name for him yet>? I think you came up with BoatWRONG....that was clever....
                        That was way too many periods. Might be foreshadowing.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                          Sub, I almost always agree with you, however I would consider beating KSU twice, OU twice and OSU in Stillwater and sweeping ECU pretty special. We were also ranked for the first time in a long time however short it was. I was as upset as anyone how we finished the year. I am big fan of our Softball program, but to be honest didn’t they finish similar to baseball down the stretch? I also felt like if majority of the baseball teams all-league players returned we would have been picked 1st or 2nd pre-season just like the softball team will be picked pre-season next year. I have supported the decisions Kevin has made up until this decision.
                          Did you really just compare what softball did this year to what baseball did?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If you read my post I compared how both programs played the last few games of their seasons and how I suspect both teams would be picked pre-season next year with their returning All-league players. No question what so ever Softball had a much better season than Baseball, but both teams struggled to some degree in the last few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                              If you read my post I compared how both programs played the last few games of their seasons and how I suspect both teams would be picked pre-season next year with their returning All-league players. No question what so ever Softball had a much better season than Baseball, but both teams struggled to some degree in the last few weeks.
                              No way was baseball going to be picked as preseason favorite. They would be losing to much talent and have no depth. This year was their window for breakout year and they missed it.

Comment

• So, because WSU didn’t hire Hibbs, all the alumni and boosters are going forever? I get wanting to recapture the magic of the Stephenson era, but it didn’t work out.

WSU hasn’t hosted a regional since 2007. WSU hasn’t been to a regional since 2013. That includes a lot of years from Gene and the reboot.

With all the past success and with alumni and booster support, something still wasn’t working.

Saal now has a chance to hire someone who can win in today’s college game.

If it’s a true college baseball guy, he’ll know the importance and history of Shocker baseball and will make sure to try and bridge those connections.

I know Shocker baseball is important to a lot of people and it’s painful to see how it’s fallen from grace, but I don’t think moving in a new direction is a death nail at all.

This could be the start of a true revival. It could fall flat on its face (to be honest, I would say missing the tournament for 10 years is already there, so no harm in trying something new).

Time will tell.
                                Last edited by Shock Top; June 1, 2023, 07:58 PM. Reason: Grammar is hard ;)
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X