Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Scooter be named permanent head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Is there a quota?
    Yes, there is a quota.
    It can be summed in just a few words.
    ADKS does not stand pat with mediocrity.

You want mediocrity?
    Can ADKS and bring back Boatright!
    Boom...and its just that easy.

Bring back FCIB...Keep Scooter on board.
    Oh hell while we're at it, lets get Keitha back on the phone and toss enough $$$ at her so she can not say no.

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelet. Yea, its kind of messy process, but it sure ends up tasting good once everything comes together.

ADKS took over a complete mess left to him by his predecessor. Some always talk about the sausage making process and how its kind of hard to watch happen.
    Kind of what is going on right now with WSU Athletics.

That is all.
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Clark Candiotti in the portal now

Comment

• Jack little in portal

Comment

• I remember when a Shocker interim head coach was Coach of the Year, and the AD hired him full-time, probably thinking that most of the team would leave if he wasn’t named head coach.

Later, those teams and their rosters sucked.

The world is round.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Yes, there is a quota.
            It can be summed in just a few words.
            ADKS does not stand pat with mediocrity.

You want mediocrity?
            Can ADKS and bring back Boatright!
            Boom...and its just that easy.

Bring back FCIB...Keep Scooter on board.
            Oh hell while we're at it, lets get Keitha back on the phone and toss enough $$$ at her so she can not say no.

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelet. Yea, its kind of messy process, but it sure ends up tasting good once everything comes together.

ADKS took over a complete mess left to him by his predecessor. Some always talk about the sausage making process and how its kind of hard to watch happen.
            Kind of what is going on right now with WSU Athletics.

That is all.
            Shocker baseball is different. All of the big donors to include both the program and Armchair are former MLB alumni who are not happy right now. So unless Saal has a Life Wallet dude hiding like a little leprechaun in his underwear, whomever he hires must bring those guys back into the fold. That will absolutely be a challenge.

There is no other sport here that money flow could be decent even when the team is mediocre. For a while, maybe a long while, we will be below mediocre with no funds as well. You want risk, well here you go.

I have little problem and have even been excited about most of his work, but this one gives me pause from a “lack of awareness” standpoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Shocker baseball is different. All of the big donors to include both the program and Armchair are former MLB alumni who are not happy right now. So unless Saal has a Life Wallet dude hiding like a little leprechaun in his underwear, whomever he hires must bring those guys back into the fold. That will absolutely be a challenge.

There is no other sport here that money flow could be decent even when the team is mediocre. For a while, maybe a long while, we will be below mediocre with no funds as well. You want risk, well here you go.

I have little problem and have even been excited about most of his work, but this one gives me pause from a “lack of awareness” standpoint.
              It hasn't been working the past decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Running count of who's in the portal and who's not:

Portal:

McDonald
                Rogan
                Milan
                Thornhill (exhausted eligibility)
                Dillhoff
                Rodden (likely to go pro anyway, but with NIL money you never know)
                Ingram
                Little
                Shelby
                Harris
                Cranz
                Wallace
                Favors
                Rogers
                Boyer
                Adler
                Stroh
                Pennington
                Williams
                Miner
                Snead
                Rost
                Bye
                Candiotti

Non Portal (as of 7:56pm 5/30/23)

Stark
                Herring
                Flaggert
                Mulhollon
                Birge
                Henry
                Dunne
                Gustafson
                Vercoe
                Wilkinson
                Nate Adler
                Tolle
                Down to 12 on the roster. 4 that didn't play at all in '23, 6 more that played a tiny bit or very rarely, and Herring and Tolle.

Comment

It hasn't been working the past decade.
                  The past decade? When was Todd Butler ever considered an alumni?

You missed the entire point of my post. For someone who admits in the NIL forum that he only cares about basketball and lives 3,000 miles away you sure have a pulse on the donor contributions and what Shocker baseball has been running on. See all the nice stuff we have such as the workout and indoor practice facilities, the new dugouts and a some other neat amenities? Guess where most of that came from as well as many of the All American Club memberships? I’m at a loss why you can’t follow this…if you are following it and you seem to think money will suddenly appear as we start a new regime like basketball, your are a bigger doorknob than I thought. It will be a problem and saying you trust Kevin Saal tells me nothing about how that gap is filled.

Hoop would solve it, but I predict and I hope I’m wrong, he won’t get a sniff.
                  Last edited by shoxlax; May 30, 2023, 08:39 PM.

Comment

The past decade? When was Todd Butler ever considered an alumni?

You missed the entire point of my post. For someone who admits in the NIL forum that he only cares about basketball and lives 3,000 miles away you sure have a pulse on the donor contributions and what Shocker baseball has been running on. See all the nice stuff we have such as the workout and indoor practice facilities, the new dugouts and a some other neat amenities? Guess where most of that came from as well as many of the All American Club memberships? I’m at a loss why you can’t follow this…if you are following it and you seem to think money will suddenly appear as we start a new regime like basketball, your are a bigger doorknob than I thought. It will be a problem and saying you trust Kevin Saal tells me nothing about how that gap is filled.

Hoop would solve it, but I predict and I hope I’m wrong, he won’t get a sniff.
                    You're obviously in crisis mode today and having a tough time processing the news. What have all these brand new facilities produced? Bad baseball with no postseason appearances. Why is that?

Let me ask you another question. What did you think was going to happen with a new AD?

You have so many false assumptions. One being I live 3000 miles away.

Comment

• Saal made a really poor hire to fill this open position. Our new coach, TBD, has shown that he can’t win, can’t recruit, and actively drives fundraising dollars away.

Saal might be on the hot seat.

Comment

You're obviously in crisis mode today and having a tough time processing the news. What have all these brand new facilities produced? Bad baseball with no postseason appearances. Why is that?

Let me ask you another question. What did you think was going to happen with a new AD?

You have so many false assumptions. One being I live 3000 miles away.
                        Read slowly:

IB gets canned, donors go up

Hibbs get canned, donors go down

That is a problem….and unless Saal has a sugar daddy it will hurt for a long while. Baseball doesn’t run on GA ticket sales, but instead on six figure checks.

If you want to put all of your trust in someone you’ve never spent any time with, had never heard of until 11 months ago, yet somehow think everyone of his decisions shall not be questioned, then knock your ass out. That is your wonderful inalienable right as naive as it might be. However, I will happy to revisit this in a year, look at our balance sheets and gladly tell you I was wrong.

Comment

• I know several coaches who were put in the interim role in various D1 sports. Each were sat down and had a lengthy conversation about what they felt the could accomplish, what the goals for the year were, and in the end had a set upon agreement about what success looked like for the year.

I have to believe a similar situation took place between ADKS and iHCLH. If it didn’t take place shame on ADKS for not doing it and shame on iHCLH for not demanding it.

Based on that conversation, I have to believe yesterdays conversation was a recap of that conversation. What were the expectations agreed upon. Where those met? If we continue down this path what are the future expectations? Does the plan to meet those seem plausible?

These are just the things I feel good about. What I don’t feel good about is some on the animosity that existed before the announcement. Some players were in the portal before anything was announced.

Most, however, seemed surprised and that is not good business from the leader of the department. If they had, as I suspect, had the conversation referenced above, a good leader would have had check points along the way to ensure continued understanding. This helps avoid “moral victories, and the “small step” approach were the agreed to goals are not achieved, but look at what we did accomplish!

It would seem based on the response from the team, that they felt the pressure to win for Coach Hibbs, and he and the coaching staff gave all to help them achieve success. It would also appear that perhaps there were gaps in communication between ADKS and IHCLH. That would be problematic to me. You give established successful employees more leeway and less checkpoints than interim/new employees.

In the end, I don’t believe iHCLH achieved the agreed upon expectations, whatever they were. While he might be a great candidate for the job, if he didn’t, and really wants the job, go against the best applicants out there and show you are the best candidate.

That is my hope. That iHCLH goes the the mattresses and shows ADKS that he is the BEST leader for this program, and makes it impossible for ADKS to say no. THEN, and only then, will we be able to say we are on the right path.

Comment

Read slowly:

IB gets canned, donors go up

Hibbs get canned, donors go down

That is a problem….and unless Saal has a sugar daddy it will hurt for a long while. Baseball doesn’t run on GA ticket sales, but instead on six figure checks.

If you want to put all of your trust in someone you’ve never spent any time with, had never heard of until 11 months ago, yet somehow think everyone of his decisions shall not be questioned, then knock your ass out. That is your wonderful inalienable right as naive as it might be. However, I will happy to revisit this in a year, look at our balance sheets and gladly tell you I was wrong.

Just curious if we could list the six figure checks that rolled in when fHCEW was announced? I believe fPCBK raised most of the improvements that have happened over the past 4 years while fHCTB was in charge.

Was there a large influx of large donations after fHCEW was announced? What projects are those for? When will we see that money?

I continue to say this to those who refuse to listen, but our stadium needs replaced. A HUGE upgrade to say the least. I saw Kung mention UNCC and assumed we have better overall facilities, but that just isn’t true. 97% of people won’t see the new weight room, the indoor practice facility (that the teams we are simpering against for the best players don’t need), and the coaches offices. What thousands see and experience each day is at the stadium. It has to be an experience to make the in person better than the on TV. We don’t have that. And we can’t change that with a new coach.

But, with the RIGHT leadership, we can get back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Just curious if we could list the six figure checks that rolled in when fHCEW was announced? I believe fPCBK raised most of the improvements that have happened over the past 4 years while fHCTB was in charge.

Was there a large influx of large donations after fHCEW was announced? What projects are those for? When will we see that money?

I continue to say this to those who refuse to listen, but our stadium needs replaced. A HUGE upgrade to say the least. I saw Kung mention UNCC and assumed we have better overall facilities, but that just isn’t true. 97% of people won’t see the new weight room, the indoor practice facility (that the teams we are simpering against for the best players don’t need), and the coaches offices. What thousands see and experience each day is at the stadium. It has to be an experience to make the in person better than the on TV. We don’t have that. And we can’t change that with a new coach.

But, with the RIGHT leadership, we can get back.
                              From what I understand another improvement campaign was to begin soon or at least being discussed. If Saal and Brent have dollar sources lined up other than Baseball Alums, I would love to know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Down to 12 on the roster. 4 that didn't play at all in '23, 6 more that played a tiny bit or very rarely, and Herring and Tolle.
                                add Herring to the transfer portal as l list as well, he just announced it on twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X