Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Scooter be named permanent head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

It’s been interesting. Was somewhat complementary of Saal. Maybe he’s just trying to keep a job.

Pelf really railed on how the program needs more community support. Talked a lot about what baseball and basketball had been like in the 2000s.

Idk man. Put any program through what WSU fans have been through and see what attendance looks like. Hell OSU has hosted back to back Regionals, their first round game was only 50 ish percent full. I get it, but didn’t love that being the first thing out of his mouth.

Also says the team didn’t respond well to being challenged.
    Years of Butler did that. If they really want more community support you hire someone like Hooper. Hiring basically a .500 coach from Washington State is not going to do the trick.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
      His appearance could be a way of trying to calm the torches and pitchforks coming from the fanbase towards the hire.
      I am thinking this might well be the case. However, I think Pelf was being sincere and the reason they put him out there was because he was sincere and not just spouting a company-directed line. Pelf just doesn't seem like a guy to me who would be all the comfortable or good at gas-lighting.

Comment

Pelf definitely sounds like a guy who is interested in sticking around and hoping for that opportunity. My guess is if that is the case, it has already been worked out. Just a guess though. His appearance could be a way of trying to calm the torches and pitchforks coming from the fanbase towards the hire.
        Could be, but I doubt it. Mike mentioned Wichita State is the only place he's wanted to coach. I think him still wanting to be here just makes sense, but I doubt he's retained by the new coach as they generally want their own people. Hell, half of this board has wanted to run Mike off during his time here. I think Mike was just being himself and honest about his feelings.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Might I add that is what sports talk radio is supposed to sound like. A timely and informative interview with someone who actually knows and understands the local topic being talked about.

Comment

• I don't doubt Pelf's sincerity one bit. I truly believe he is being honest and speaking from the heart. Definitely doesn't seem like a company guy. He's a Shocker through and through. I for one hope he is retained and I would bet the majority of Shocker fans and Shockernetters feel the same. I don't think half the board wanted him gone.

Comment

Might I add that is what sports talk radio is supposed to sound like. A timely and informative interview with someone who actually knows and understands the local topic being talked about.
              Wait a minute, are you telling me this isn't what sports radio is supposed to look like...

Comment

It's hard not to feel like something was missing. There had to be a major disconnect. Look at the talent on the roster, the AAC awards, and compare that to the results and the only conclusion is that something doesn't add up. What that is I don't know. Could be a disconnect between the coaches and players (a la what Pelf alluded to with all but six kids saying they were gone even before Hibbs was let go). Could be kids chasing NIL money. Could be a combination of both. Any way you slice it there was definitely something not adding up about this team and situation.
                I don't think there is any doubt about kids chasing NIL money being a factor, but it is also about kids being chased with NIL money.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Could be, but I doubt it. Mike mentioned Wichita State is the only place he's wanted to coach. I think him still wanting to be here just makes sense, but I doubt he's retained by the new coach as they generally want their own people. Hell, half of this board has wanted to run Mike off during his time here. I think Mike was just being himself and honest about his feelings.
                  Based on Green's pitching results as head coach, he will bend over backward to keep Pelf on staff.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I don't think there is any doubt about kids chasing NIL money being a factor, but it is also about kids being chased with NIL money.
                    Hearing only 6 guys planned on returning prior to Hibbs announcement, that cements my feeling that we're not competitive in the NIL market. I mean some of it might have to do with Scooter but sounds like a majority of our players are chased with NIL money we don't have.

Comment

I don't doubt Pelf's sincerity one bit. I truly believe he is being honest and speaking from the heart. Definitely doesn't seem like a company guy. He's a Shocker through and through. I for one hope he is retained and I would bet the majority of Shocker fans and Shockernetters feel the same. I don't think half the board wanted him gone.
                      Nope. In the one season under a stable head coach, his staff performed near the very top of the conference even with limited depth.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Based on Green's pitching results as head coach, he will bend over backward to keep Pelf on staff.
                        You would think but not much has made sense thus far.

Comment

No sour grapes from Pelf. Again sounded interested in staying so maybe that’s why.

Changes perspective a bit I suppose.

Said Saal told the coaching staff that “he felt in his head that there is something missing.”

Pelfrey adamant that Saal had not made his mind up until Tuesday. Obviously that’s just his read on it. But he didn’t waver in that after being asked several times.
                          I think he is avoiding burning bridges for self preservation reasons which is smart. Let’s see where this shakes out.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Pelfrey spoke about coaching style. Wedge and Hibbs were old school, and this was clashed with a lot of players. There was a team meeting following a loss to Oral Roberts, and that sounds like one of the major fissure points.

Players were getting scholarship and other NIL type offers through former teammates and players in other programs. This was certainly pulling players toward the transfer portal also.

Pelfrey thought the team should have won 35-40 games, and that is the floor for his expectations for the program. The team underperformed, and it was a disappointing finish.

Sounded like someone trying to provide context on what transpired throughout the season, and with the coaching staff decisions. Also sounded like someone who would love to be retained on this staff, and I hope he is. Claggett should not be following Green to Wichita, if it is Green.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I think he is avoiding burning bridges for self preservation reasons which is smart. Let’s see where this shakes out.
                                I agree that he was avoiding burning bridges, but, not for SELF PRESERVATION reasons. That makes him sound desperate, which I don’t think he is. Pelfrey has made enough money as a MLB Leaguer that I would guess money isn’t an issue. I think he is a SHOCKER, and wants what’s best for the program and Wichita. But I agree to see how it shakes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X