• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
    So called Mid's looking pretty good in the Big Dance
    ??

Comment

• I will never use the term mm word to describe the Valley. During the history of this conference (except for a few years here and there) we have always been a power conference in basketball. Marshall has coached in a real non-power conference please don't throw us in that category.

There is a HUGE difference between a Wichita State and a Chicago State or Houston State or even a UMKC. So please don't put us in the same category.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
        I will never use the term mm word to describe the Valley. During the history of this conference (except for a few years here and there) we have always been a power conference in basketball. Marshall has coached in a real non-power conference please don't throw us in that category.

There is a HUGE difference between a Wichita State and a Chicago State or Houston State or even a UMKC. So please don't put us in the same category.
        Well aren't you a martyr (without the death part). Good for you. This conference hasn't been consistently relevant for a very long time. You might want to think in terms of recent reality.

So why don't you come up with an appropriate term for Chicago State and I am assuming you mean Sam Houston State?

When the Valley can do better than a 10-16 record against the Mountain West, another mid-major conference, in the MVC/MWC Challenge...then let's talk.

Comment

• The term was coined by "Rivals" and they would refer to UMKC, etc, as low-major.

Comment

• I've always looked at the "label" to be BCS or non-BCS, even for basketball. If one must use the terms major, mid-major, and low-major, it should apply to the teams, not the conference. There is nothing mid-major about Gonzaga, Xavier, Memphis, and, possibly Butler. However, until your mid-major school is annually competing, over time, at the level those schools are, your still a mid-major. WSU has all the makings of a major program except this (same goes for CU). Frankly, there are a number of "mid-major" schools in BCS conferences, although, thanks to the big boys, they get to share in the wealth.

The Big East is becoming a joke as a BCS conference. Sorry, there's nothing major about SMU and Houston, except for their endowment, nor UCF, Memphis, Temple, or SDS regarding football, or some of the previous plus Seton Hall, DePaul, and Providence regarding basketball. Unfortunately, I'm sure most of these new Big East schools will benefit, from a recruiting stand point, just because they will be a BCS school pretending to be a major school.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
              I guess kicking around the "mid major" conversation isn't a dead horse. Many on this board and Marshall are way too sensitive on this issue. I have heard solid coaches at "mid major" institutions even refer to themselves as being in the mid major category.

"What is mid major about us?" We don't have football and we play in a conference that can't compete, (although a case can be made this year with the PAC 10) top-to-bottom, with the power conferences. It is what it is people.
              Re-read the statement that was said. Shox21 said "who would want to stay here (at a mid-major) given the chance to advance"? There have been plenty of coaches who have remained at non-BCS conference schools even when they were given an opportunity to move to another school. It makes Shox21 sound like he shares allegiances to WSU (which is ok if he does-just so he doesn't sound ignorant).

Comment

• You guys & gals need to get a life.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                  You guys & gals need to get a life.
                  Hey thanks Dr. Phil...I'm sure your post was great motivation for us "guys & gals" to sign up for "get a life" classes. Hopefully you will be one of the motivational speakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Re-read the statement that was said. Shox21 said "who would want to stay here (at a mid-major) given the chance to advance"? There have been plenty of coaches who have remained at non-BCS conference schools even when they were given an opportunity to move to another school. It makes Shox21 sound like he shares allegiances to WSU (which is ok if he does-just so he doesn't sound ignorant).
                    I am saying this with total respect shockmonster. Maybe you should re-read who I was responding to. My comments were from a post from 1979Shocker, who responded to a post by Shox21. My simple message is the sensitivity of the tag "mid-major." Whether we like it or not, it isn't going to change. The term isn't intended to offend anyone...it's just a term to describe a category...who cares. Lace em up, get after it, add the score up at the end. You have to dance to the music the band is playing even if you didn't have a say in picking the band. The band isn't going to change. Now, resume dancing...hopefully dancing again in the NCAA tourny next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                      You guys & gals need to get a life.
                      Says the guy embarrassing WSU fans on about 10 different message boards.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WOW!!! I don't believe you guys. Some of you are the very same posters who have called me out in the past for not recognizing sarcasm when it is written. Did no one see the word "advance" being in quotes. I have NEVER considered WSU as a mid-major. And I am well aware of what Marshall thinks. I'm sitting here shaking my head that NONE of you recognized that statement was being said tongue-in-cheek.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Says the guy embarrassing WSU fans on about 10 different message boards.
                          Couldn't agree more.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                            I guess kicking around the "mid major" conversation isn't a dead horse. Many on this board and Marshall are way too sensitive on this issue. I have heard solid coaches at "mid major" institutions even refer to themselves as being in the mid major category.

"What is mid major about us?" We don't have football and we play in a conference that can't compete, (although a case can be made this year with the PAC 10) top-to-bottom, with the power conferences. It is what it is people.
                            Is it possible we are a high major team in a mid major conference ?

In other words. Are all the teams in BCS conferences considered high majors ?

Comment

• Originally posted by tshox View Post
                              Is it possible we are a high major team in a mid major conference ?

In other words. Are all the teams in BCS conferences considered high majors ?
                              They shouldn't be. USF? Depaul? Providence? Rutgers? Do you consider them major? WSU would have beat all of them very easily this year. Hell, most of the valley would have beat all of them this year.

Those are just the Big East teams I can think of right now. I guess you can add BC to that list as well.

Comment

• Not much in the way of updates here in Columbia, SC although I hear that Stallings pretty much won't happen due to the pricetag. It seems as if the heat is being turned up on Marshall right now. For whatever reason, there has been some issues on the Board of Trustees that may have gotten in the way of the hire, but at this point, it looks like they're on board if it does turn out the AD Eric Hyman targets Marshall as his guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X