No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am pretty sure I read an article or statement that Coop took a team that basically had no tradition and didn't even have a winning season since the 90's and turned them into a good team in a short amount of time in their conference. That speaks highly of his coaching ability no matter what level you coach at. He's gonna be a heck of a coach IMHO.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
      His record isn't all that. Why?
      Several reasons.

1) Tennessee State is the Ohio Valley Conference version of Evansville- Coop is succeeding with probably the poorest resources in the entire league. Last year TSU even initiated the application process to join the SWAC in order to become more financially competitive.

Look at their non-conference slates each year. They have to subsidize their program by taking as many buyout games as possible. He is truly weaving flax into gold there. This would be like if Marty Simmons came in and turned Evansville into a top 2 program in his third year here.

2) TSU will be favored to win the OVC next season. They finished just outside the top 100 this year (up from 200+ in 2011) in the RPI. They have a legitimate shot at being a top 50-60 caliber squad next year and will set a program record for wins.

Pretty good considering he inherited a mutiny in his first season that left him with 4 scholarship players. That was just three years ago.

3) Might catch flack for this, but his minority status gives him an enormous boost as an applicant.

4) He has STRONG recruiting ties throughout the southeast.

In a year, he will be one of the hottest names for all lower-rung BCS jobs (if he doesn't accept something like a UAB/Tulsa/etc. type opening this offseason). What he is doing right now is AT LEAST as impressive, if not significantly moreso, than what Tad Boyle did at Northern Colorado.
      Last edited by Guest; March 17, 2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
        @Kung Wu: -- I never left
        Ok, we've been pining' fer ya! Even talking' 'bout nasty nachos!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• This just in:

Gregg Marshall will remain at Wichita State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            This just in:

Gregg Marshall will remain at Wichita State.
            C R A P...had my resume all dusted off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred V
              “Those rumors (about Marshall’s possible departure) are out there, and I know I’m going to hear that question, but I trust Gregg Marshall and he says he’ll be there to coach me,” VanVleet said. “No one really knows what he’ll do. If things change, I’ll deal with it. But I trust him enough to give him four years of my life. I can’t comment too much more on that.
              for those that think WSU can retain their recruiting class if Marshall leaves - it not going to happen. Though it is good that Marshall is telling him he will be there to coach him.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                for those that think WSU can retain their recruiting class if Marshall leaves - it not going to happen. Though it is good that Marshall is telling him he will be there to coach him.
                I know that coaches can be just like politicians, saying one thing and doing another when an opportunity arises. But, who here thinks Marshall is that type of guy? I don't think he really says anything different then what he really thinks..

Comment

• Speaking of coaches, did you see Shaka Smart congratulating TC and telling him over and over again "good game" with an extended hand and a huge smile on his face. Yeah, I'm making a big deal about it. I was offended for GM for the way Shaka totally dismissed him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Speaking of coaches, did you see Shaka Smart congratulating TC and telling him over and over again "good game" with an extended hand and a huge smile on his face. Yeah, I'm making a big deal about it. I was offended for GM for the way Shaka totally dismissed him.
                    I don't think Shaka likes Marshall after the Carl Hall recruitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      I don't think Shaka likes Marshall after the Carl Hall recruitment.
                      I would have 3 G quote one of the smartest people I know and say "Bite me."

Comment

• Originally posted by hizzshock View Post
                        I know that coaches can be just like politicians, saying one thing and doing another when an opportunity arises. But, who here thinks Marshall is that type of guy? I don't think he really says anything different then what he really thinks..

I think Marshall is honest and means exactly what he says....AT THE TIME he says it. But that's about as far as I will take it. Like VanVleet said...no one knows what he will do in the end. Regardless the Shox will be ok in the end...I have faith.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                          I think Marshall is honest and means exactly what he says....AT THE TIME he says it. But that's about as far as I will take it. Like VanVleet said...no one knows what he will do in the end. Regardless the Shox will be ok in the end...I have faith.
                          This is why I think that we should wait until we don't have a coach to discuss the coaching vacancy. Even though some of you find it good to talk about, recruits don't care for it. It's just a bunch of rumors.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            This is why I think that we should wait until we don't have a coach to discuss the coaching vacancy. Even though some of you find it good to talk about, recruits don't care for it. It's just a bunch of rumors.
                            I could definately live with that. I think some of it is just the fact that the season is over and that is one of the TOP topics that good non-bcs teams have to talk about right after the season.

FWIW I don't think it probably affects recruits. They hear all these rumors from plenty more places than Shockernet. Those topics are out there regardless if we are talking about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                              I could definately live with that. I think some of it is just the fact that the season is over and that is one of the TOP topics that good non-bcs teams have to talk about right after the season.

FWIW I don't think it probably affects recruits. They hear all these rumors from plenty more places than Shockernet. Those topics are out there regardless if we are talking about it.
                              Don't think that it is out there nearly as much.

Comment

• Am I missing something? Was FVV quoted somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X