South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    I saw a tweet today claiming that Sexton has not received a request for permission from USC to talk to Marshall.

David Cloninger ‏ @DCAtGCKCentral
    • Wichita State Eric Sexton says that there has been no seeking of permission from USC to talk to Gregg Marshall.
    it is respectful to ask. but it isn't required to ask for permission to talk to a coach.

Comment

• Reading the USC's board, it is hard to get a 'feel' of how GM is perceived over there. The majority of their fans want GM and would feel comfortable with the hire, but then you read a lot of posts that GM carries some sort of negative baggage with him. This is what confounds me. I'm not in the 'know' of what transpired with GM during his tenure as a coach out east, I know that he accepted the C of C job and backed out later, but other than that - I have no clue as to what some USC fans are saying.

You read posts that some USC fans who are in the 'know' say GM won't be the coach because of USC is looking for 'bigger names', or they've heard of negative issues with GM, or their Board of Trustees do not want to go the mid-major route again to name a few.

Here's one example. "My buddy is a manager for the basketball team. He is hearing some names that I can't mention, who are good coaches. I am also hearing negative things about Marshall that I do not wish to discuss on a public board."

This is just from one USC poster, but reflects the train of thought I mention. Anyone know if GM burned bridges or PO'd someone back east way back when? Speculation is going to run rampant, but at face-value, some of their concerns with GM are mind boggling based on what we've seen during his tenure here in ICT.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        Reading the USC's board, it is hard to get a 'feel' of how GM is perceived over there. The majority of their fans want GM and would feel comfortable with the hire, but then you read a lot of posts that GM carries some sort of negative baggage with him. This is what confounds me. I'm not in the 'know' of what transpired with GM during his tenure as a coach out east, I know that he accepted the C of C job and backed out later, but other than that - I have no clue as to what some USC fans are saying.

You read posts that some USC fans who are in the 'know' say GM won't be the coach because of USC is looking for 'bigger names', or they've heard of negative issues with GM, or their Board of Trustees do not want to go the mid-major route again to name a few.

Here's one example. "My buddy is a manager for the basketball team. He is hearing some names that I can't mention, who are good coaches. I am also hearing negative things about Marshall that I do not wish to discuss on a public board."

This is just from one USC poster, but reflects the train of thought I mention. Anyone know if GM burned bridges or PO'd someone back east way back when? Speculation is going to run rampant, but at face-value, some of their concerns with GM are mind boggling based on what we've seen during his tenure here in ICT.
        Stay off those USC boards you “douchnozzle.” Hey ‘fever’, what’s a “douchnozzle?”

By the way, I’ve had a premonition and Marshall’s not going anywhere. Home is where the heart is and he’s already home.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Reading the USC's board, it is hard to get a 'feel' of how GM is perceived over there. The majority of their fans want GM and would feel comfortable with the hire, but then you read a lot of posts that GM carries some sort of negative baggage with him. This is what confounds me. I'm not in the 'know' of what transpired with GM during his tenure as a coach out east, I know that he accepted the C of C job and backed out later, but other than that - I have no clue as to what some USC fans are saying.

Link?

Comment

bottomline, most of us wanted coach marshall as our coach. we love his passion,being a sc natice,wanting to be head coach here, knowing this area and what has to be done to be sucessful.

a few have slacked off. after hearing what a former player said about coach marshall when he was at winthrop.

Comment

• I have talked with fans from other teams and although Marshall is thought to be a very good coach, he is also perceived by many of them to be a whiner. He complains about the officiating too much. Every team has had calls go against them and for the most part I think Marshall does okay about not saying anything --- until it happens in a game that matters. Unfortunately those are the games that seem to be on national television and it does not make Marshall look good and it pisses off Conference officials. Refs have elephant memories and even though most of them don't intend for something like that to colour their judgment, it is hard for it not to. That is my one wish about Marshall (that he cools his temper before opening his mouth about officiating). Some posters here think it's cool that he makes waves and makes the MVC hierarchy angry with his comments, but who pays the price in the long run? And make no mistake about this, I want no other coach right now. He is a good coach (except I wish he would remember once in awhile there is such a thing as zone defense) and I can't think of another coach I would rather have so I hope he stays as long as we, or he, or a combination of both want him to.

Comment

• So basically most USC fans want him, but if he's not hired it's because they didn't want him. We've seen how this goes before....it'll be interesting to see what "bigger" name they get. BCS schools who have gone after our coaches and failed in the past have not ended up with bigger names.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                  So basically most USC fans want him, but if he's not hired it's because they didn't want him. We've seen how this goes before....it'll be interesting to see what "bigger" name they get. BCS schools who have gone after our coaches and failed in the past have not ended up with bigger names.
                  They end up with Dana Altman...
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• So what happened to the thread Kai started on the Seth Davis tweet?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      They end up with Dana Altman...
                      ...and there best player transfers to WSU

Comment

• ABC:

This board seems to be the best...

Comment

• Harvard fans trashing SC job:

Comment

• heres another one, its fairly active

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Most of the fans on cockytalk seem reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                                I have talked with fans from other teams and although Marshall is thought to be a very good coach, he is also perceived by many of them to be a whiner. He complains about the officiating too much. Every team has had calls go against them and for the most part I think Marshall does okay about not saying anything --- until it happens in a game that matters. Unfortunately those are the games that seem to be on national television and it does not make Marshall look good and it pisses off Conference officials. Refs have elephant memories and even though most of them don't intend for something like that to colour their judgment, it is hard for it not to. That is my one wish about Marshall (that he cools his temper before opening his mouth about officiating). Some posters here think it's cool that he makes waves and makes the MVC hierarchy angry with his comments, but who pays the price in the long run? And make no mistake about this, I want no other coach right now. He is a good coach (except I wish he would remember once in awhile there is such a thing as zone defense) and I can't think of another coach I would rather have so I hope he stays as long as we, or he, or a combination of both want him to.
                                Music to my ears....
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X