South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
    Don't think that it is out there nearly as much.
    LOL check twitter and other social media....it's out there.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
      Speaking of coaches, did you see Shaka Smart congratulating TC and telling him over and over again "good game" with an extended hand and a huge smile on his face. Yeah, I'm making a big deal about it. I was offended for GM for the way Shaka totally dismissed him.
      I'm not worried at all. He doesn't know about what Wichita State is gonna do next year anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Am I missing something? Was FVV quoted somewhere?
        yes up above I found a FVV quote -it was two hard to post the link as I was on the phone at the time here is the link

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          Speaking of coaches, did you see Shaka Smart congratulating TC and telling him over and over again "good game" with an extended hand and a huge smile on his face. Yeah, I'm making a big deal about it. I was offended for GM for the way Shaka totally dismissed him.
          He has to get on the good side of his fellow Big 10 coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            yes up above I found a FVV quote -it was two hard to post the link as I was on the phone at the time here is the link

http://www.pjstar.com/state/x1612626...ar-to-remember
            Also in the article...
            “Wichita State is a great program for me. A great basketball school, a diamond in the rough. Anyone who knows basketball knows this, but the general public overlooks this program.

“The coaches they have, the facilities, the people and community — all terrific. It’s the highest-level basketball team I could go to where I could play.”
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• 5 reasons South Carolina is a tough job: http://www.thestate.com/2012/03/18/2...tough-job.html

I did not know they were not in a major conference between 1972-1991.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                5 reasons South Carolina is a tough job: http://www.thestate.com/2012/03/18/2...tough-job.html

I did not know they were not in a major conference between 1972-1991.
                Wow! Pretty wicked picture he painted. The problem is not getting the SC kids, but drawing kids from surrounding states where they are big on the ACC. The SEC is a football conference, while the ACC (and the Big East) are the basketball conferences. Since 1998, 14 of the 18 SC kids in the top 100 ranked national players have gone to USC (started there or transfered back).

One of the commentors mentioned that if Spurrier can do it in football, someone like Marshall can do it in basketball for SC. Two problems with that. First, as mentioned above, USC is part of the SEC where football is king, so attracting football players from surrounding states is a lot easier than for basketball. Second, Marshall is not a fair comparison to Spurrier. Now if USC were to hire Billy Donovan, that's different. To think that it would be as easy for Marshall to build USC basketball as it was for Spurrier to build USC football (in a football conference) is silliness.

Comment

• Normally, it's easier to build a basketball program than a football program, but Marshall aint Spurrier, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

http://www.pjstar.com/state/x1612626...ar-to-remember

I realize the article is dated March 16, but there is no real indication as to WHEN FVV talked with GM. Has this been since the SC job opened or since we bowed out of the tournament? There is always going to be rumors of Marshall leaving, so Fred's comments may have been referring to a prior conversation with Marshall. Marshall is a salesman and I really do think he means what he says when he says it, however --------. After all we are a "mid-major" conference and who in their right mind would want to stay here given the chance to "advance"? Nothing is certain. Even Fred said "if things change" he would deal with it. Change since when? This quote does not make me feel more confident that Marshall will stay rather than go.

Comment

• In one of the last comments he/she stated that the problem with basketball is its tough to tailgate whereas football and baseball weren't. This makes alot more sense than it first appears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                        After all we are a "mid-major" conference and who in their right mind would want to stay here given the chance to "advance"?
                        Wow Shox21. Who would want to stay here? Tell that to Mark Few, Brad Stevens, Ben Jacobson, and a number of other coaches who decided to stay with good programs and some other good albeit lesser programs. You sound like a worrying pessimist with a low self esteem. Get a grip.

Comment

... After all we are a "mid-major" conference and who in their right mind would want to stay here given the chance to "advance"? Nothing is certain. Even Fred said "if things change" he would deal with it. Change since when? This quote does not make me feel more confident that Marshall will stay rather than go.
                          I would agree with you if the MVC were a one-bid conference (which unfortunately we were starting to look that way last year). But as long as the MVC is a multi-bid conference with their teams getting single digit seeds (SIU #4 in 2007, Drake #5-2008, UNI #9-2010, WSU-#5, CU #8- 2012) and having teams advance to the sweet 16, I don't think there is the same desire to leave quickly to get to the high pressure cooker of BcS programs.

But I do agree with you that if the Valley starts repeating what happened last year- a single bid with a #14 seed- we are in big trouble. There is no way to recruit good players or to keep good coaches if you play in that kind of conference.

Comment

After all we are a "mid-major" conference and who in their right mind would want to stay here given the chance to "advance"?
                            Don't tell Coach Marshall that.

“I’m not a mid-major/low-major guy,” Marshall said. “When I was at Winthrop, they said we were a mid-major. What was mid about us? We had to rub two nickels together to get a spark. Here, we’re a high-major. We average 10,000 fans a game. I make over a $1 million a year. We fly on private planes. What’s mid-major about us? We just don’t have a BCS football team. Our guys are high major. Joe Ragland could play anywhere in the country. Kentucky offered (leading scorer) Garrett Stutz when Billy Gillispie was the coach. We’ve got some guys that can play.”

The following is a story from Thursday's Journal-World special section, 'Sunflower Power,' which previews the three Kansas schools in the NCAA men's basketball tournament.A shocking loss to Illinois State in the semifinals of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament did not shake the spirit or confidence of Wichita State Shockers coach Gregg Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              Don't tell Coach Marshall that.

“I’m not a mid-major/low-major guy,” Marshall said. “When I was at Winthrop, they said we were a mid-major. What was mid about us? We had to rub two nickels together to get a spark. Here, we’re a high-major. We average 10,000 fans a game. I make over a $1 million a year. We fly on private planes. What’s mid-major about us? We just don’t have a BCS football team. Our guys are high major. Joe Ragland could play anywhere in the country. Kentucky offered (leading scorer) Garrett Stutz when Billy Gillispie was the coach. We’ve got some guys that can play.”

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/ma...ter-it/?sports
                              I guess kicking around the "mid major" conversation isn't a dead horse. Many on this board and Marshall are way too sensitive on this issue. I have heard solid coaches at "mid major" institutions even refer to themselves as being in the mid major category.

"What is mid major about us?" We don't have football and we play in a conference that can't compete, (although a case can be made this year with the PAC 10) top-to-bottom, with the power conferences. It is what it is people.

Comment

• So called Mid's looking pretty good in the Big Dance
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X