No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he doesnt take this job, then he is a lifer. SC is his dream job and they will pony up. On the other hand Shocks lose 4 starters. I would say it is 60/40 he gone.

Comment

• Bob and Bruce interviewed a sports guy from Columbia, SC yesterday. He said they'd pay Horn's 2.1 million dollar buyout from a 12 million dollar reserve fund that they keep just for situations like this. They pay into it every year, and the buyout is no big deal....

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Bob and Bruce interviewed a sports guy from Columbia, SC yesterday. He said they'd pay Horn's 2.1 million dollar buyout from a 12 million dollar reserve fund that they keep just for situations like this. They pay into it every year, and the buyout is no big deal....
        What's that say about their history with coaches?

Comment

• Pin, you're in bad company when lawmaker agrees with you, but really -- neither of you has a clue. Who says USC is Marshall's dream job? Maybe it used to be , or maybe it was when he was a kid, but that doesn't mean it is now when he can see first hand that it's a proven career killer. He has plenty of money here with more to come, he gets whatever he wants, he's proven he can recruit and win here and probably has a better chance for success in the tournament here. Plus, he has a level-headed mentor (as opposed to Larry Brown) who has encouraged him to stay here.

If anything sounds like a dream, it's what he has and has built here. Columbia sounds more like a nightmare -- although I guess a nightmare is a dream, too. Maybe that's what lawmaker meant. Politicians talk that way.

Comment

• I have no idea as to what he will do, (neither do you), but like I said, if it is his dream job, he'll go.

Comment

• Hey everybody,

I'm a SC guy, and was browsing through your comments to get a pulse on what you guys were thinking. I can tell you that Gregg Marshall is quite a popular choice here with the fanbase, as well as several influential folks. I honestly don't know enough about him to really get a good feel as what's going to happen.

Darrin Horn was actually pretty safe in his job, believe it or not, until probably the last few games. The AD was fine with giving him one more year just because he didn't see next season being any worse than this season, and plus it would have saved him approx. $800,000. However, there were quite a few emails sent expressing a lot of fan displeasure, so he basically had no choice in making a decision. It would have involved giving Horn 1 more year and renegotiating the ridiculous buyout that USC put in place after Horn's somewhat successful first season in Columbia.

From the folks I've spoken with, these are the names that are mentioned in order of desirability and availability.

Gregg Marshall
              Jason Capel
              Kevin Stallings
              Tubby Smith
              Shaka Smart

Comment

• Originally posted by YoDawg View Post
                Hey everybody,

I'm a SC guy, and was browsing through your comments to get a pulse on what you guys were thinking. I can tell you that Gregg Marshall is quite a popular choice here with the fanbase, as well as several influential folks. I honestly don't know enough about him to really get a good feel as what's going to happen.

Darrin Horn was actually pretty safe in his job, believe it or not, until probably the last few games. The AD was fine with giving him one more year just because he didn't see next season being any worse than this season, and plus it would have saved him approx. $800,000. However, there were quite a few emails sent expressing a lot of fan displeasure, so he basically had no choice in making a decision. It would have involved giving Horn 1 more year and renegotiating the ridiculous buyout that USC put in place after Horn's somewhat successful first season in Columbia.

From the folks I've spoken with, these are the names that are mentioned in order of desirability and availability.

Gregg Marshall
                Jason Capel
                Kevin Stallings
                Tubby Smith
                Shaka Smart
                What about Tad Boyle?

Comment

• Tad here, you mean?

Comment

• Isn't tad Boyle in his dream job?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      What about Tad Boyle?
                      Being from Colorado and coaching at a BCS school/league where he can have success, I doubt it.

Comment

• He is from the Brown/Turgeon coaching tree.

Comment

• Haven't heard anything on Tad Boyle. I'm quite interested in hearing more about Marshall. A local sports radio station here had a former player say lots of negative things about Marshall, and there's always been the conception that Marshall has a prickly personality. I'm not sure how much of that is fact vs fiction, but it seems, down here, that you either love him or hate him.

It wouldn't surprise me either way...if he takes the job or turns it down. I know that USC has the funds to make it happen, which wasn't the case when Horn was hired. Believe it or not, there are actually several talented guys on the roster at USC, so the cupboard isn't completely empty. The problem, is that they're all athletes and not really true basketball players.

Comment

• Who was the former player?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              Who was the former player?
                              They wouldn't reveal the player's name, but it was a former player from Winthrop.

Comment

• Originally posted by YoDawg View Post
                                Haven't heard anything on Tad Boyle. I'm quite interested in hearing more about Marshall. A local sports radio station here had a former player say lots of negative things about Marshall, and there's always been the conception that Marshall has a prickly personality. I'm not sure how much of that is fact vs fiction, but it seems, down here, that you either love him or hate him.

It wouldn't surprise me either way...if he takes the job or turns it down. I know that USC has the funds to make it happen, which wasn't the case when Horn was hired. Believe it or not, there are actually several talented guys on the roster at USC, so the cupboard isn't completely empty. The problem, is that they're all athletes and not really true basketball players.
                                Marshall is viewed by some as being "thin skinned". Most of us love him because he has that "us against the world" mentality that originates from not having a BCS pedigree. He also has a great family and in entrenched in the community.

Tell me more about the player interview. The fact that it was anonymous is strike one against credibility.
                                Last edited by shoxlax; March 16, 2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X