No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, lost track of the one and done point of view. You are absolutely correct.

Comment

• What about the American conference with Louisville leaving. Any chance they would take a non-football member?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        What about the American conference with Louisville leaving. Any chance they would take a non-football member?
        No. But they don't seem too picky about how good the football team is. If WSU can't find any other options, they could probably start up football and get into the American (no matter how lousy the football team was).

Comment

• Might be worth a wait and see on the AAC. Word on the interweb is Cincy and UConn have made it known they want out; and Memphis is pissed because after finally getting out of that dog known as CUSA, the conference that took them in may very well become little more than CUSA 2.0. There has even been some talk of Temple moving everything except football back to the A-10. If those four leave, and Larry Brown retiring from SMU in a few seasons, the AAC turns into a s**ty basketball conference with alot of travel.
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• The MWC remains my #1 hope.

It is a longshot, of course, but this season is timed perfectly to make us as attractive as possible. The MWC is very, very down this year (remember they were the #1 RPI conference most of last season, this season they are #10) and we are looking awfully shiny with our top 10 ranking and bountiful media love. Our Final Four also looks pretty cool to members of a league that is becoming notorious as an underperformer in March.

I will cling to this dream until they remedy their need for a non-football member or boot one of the current football members out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
              Might be worth a wait and see on the AAC. Word on the interweb is Cincy and UConn have made it known they want out; and Memphis is pissed because after finally getting out of that dog known as CUSA, the conference that took them in may very well become little more than CUSA 2.0. There has even been some talk of Temple moving everything except football back to the A-10. If those four leave, and Larry Brown retiring from SMU in a few seasons, the AAC turns into a s**ty basketball conference with alot of travel.
              But the question remains, would it still be an improvement over the valley?
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                Might be worth a wait and see on the AAC. Word on the interweb is Cincy and UConn have made it known they want out; and Memphis is pissed because after finally getting out of that dog known as CUSA, the conference that took them in may very well become little more than CUSA 2.0. There has even been some talk of Temple moving everything except football back to the A-10. If those four leave, and Larry Brown retiring from SMU in a few seasons, the AAC turns into a s**ty basketball conference with alot of travel.
                Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                But the question remains, would it still be an improvement over the valley?
                Not likely. Looking at warrennolen.com, RPI ranking for MVC teams:

RPI 12 0.5081
                NPI 11 72.85
                64 - 49 (0.5664)
                Missouri Valley
                Records include games against Division I opponents only.

1 Drake 1 - 0 1.000 - 9 - 3 0.750 70 0.5692 0 - 3 8 - 2 4 Wins
                1 Indiana State 1 - 0 1.000 - 8 - 3 0.727 99 0.5425 0 - 1 7 - 3 3 Wins
                1 Northern Iowa 1 - 0 1.000 - 6 - 6 0.500 92 0.5506 0 - 1 6 - 4 2 Wins
                4 Wichita State 0 - 0 0.000 ½ 12 - 0 1.000 12 0.6458 2 - 0 10 - 0 13 Wins
                4 Missouri State 0 - 0 0.000 ½ 9 - 2 0.818 82 0.5574 0 - 1 8 - 2 2 Wins
                4 Illinois State 0 - 0 0.000 ½ 6 - 5 0.545 144 0.5089 0 - 0 6 - 4 2 Wins
                4 Southern Illinois 0 - 0 0.000 ½ 3 - 9 0.250 324 0.3838 0 - 2 3 - 7 1 Loss
                8 Evansville 0 - 1 0.000 1 5 - 7 0.417 205 0.4766 0 - 1 3 - 7 1 Loss
                8 Bradley 0 - 1 0.000 1 5 - 9 0.357 262 0.4401 0 - 1 1 - 9 7 Losses
                8 Loyola-Chicago 0 - 1 0.000 1 4 - 8 0.333 310 0.4057 0 - 0 3 - 7 3 Losses

And the AAC:

RPI 8 0.5391
                NPI 7 81.05
                85 - 33 (0.7203)
                American Athletic
                Records include games against Division I opponents only.

1 Louisville 1 - 0 1.000 - 12 - 2 0.857 26 0.6107 1 - 2 8 - 2 1 Win
                1 Cincinnati 1 - 0 1.000 - 12 - 2 0.857 43 0.5973 1 - 2 8 - 2 5 Wins
                1 Memphis 1 - 0 1.000 - 10 - 2 0.833 18 0.6306 2 - 2 9 - 1 3 Wins
                1 Houston 1 - 0 1.000 - 9 - 5 0.643 222 0.4659 1 - 0 5 - 5 2 Wins
                1 Rutgers 1 - 0 1.000 - 6 - 7 0.462 224 0.4638 0 - 2 4 - 6 3 Wins
                6 Connecticut 0 - 1 0.000 1 11 - 2 0.846 34 0.6041 1 - 0 8 - 2 1 Loss
                6 SMU 0 - 1 0.000 1 10 - 3 0.769 60 0.5751 0 - 1 8 - 2 1 Loss
                6 South Florida 0 - 1 0.000 1 9 - 5 0.643 174 0.4933 0 - 2 5 - 5 1 Loss
                6 UCF 0 - 1 0.000 1 6 - 4 0.600 262 0.4401 0 - 2 6 - 4 1 Loss
                6 Temple 0 - 1 0.000 1 5 - 6 0.455 141 0.5099 0 - 1 4 - 6 1 Loss

As you can see, after Lewis-vile leaves, and if they lose Cincy, UConn, and Memphis, there isn't much left (Temple has great history and a good coach, but this is a rebuilding year so they're down). SMU will only be good as long as Larry Brown is there. Once Jankovich takes over, he'll have them back in the toilet within three or four seasons, because JANK IS A LOUSY COACH! And the teams that are joining the AAC next year, ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa, are not good basketball programs (Tulsa may be the exception, but Danny Manning isn't helping). So without the uppercrust teams in the AAC, it is a much worse basketball conference than the current MVC.
                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• But where would Cincy, UConn, and Memphis go? None of the old BCS conferences want them. It's highly likely the Big 10 is done expanding after Maryland and Rutgers. Louisville may be the ACC's last addition for a long time, although I can make a case for West Virginia getting out of the Big 12 for the ACC. If that happens, I can maybe buy that Cincinnati may be attractive to the Big 12, but I highly doubt Memphis is (football is mediocre at best), and bringing this back to the subject of the AAC's attractiveness to WSU, losing Cincinnati wouldn't hurt the AAC's basketball reputation like losing UConn or Memphis would.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Memphis is almost certainly stuck.

Their academics are far too terrible for the ACC or B1G, the Big XII does not want them, and the SEC just snickers when they are mentioned.

I actually have some sympathy for them. Their hoops program has been top-notch for most of four decades and they just cannot catch a break in realignment.

Comment

• I'm also not seeing any 300+ RPI teams in the AAC.

Edit: also, if it was just us and Memphis it would be about like the valley was with Creighton around. As long as there are two really good programs, I've got to think it's better than the status quo. And as a bonus there are some other good programs who appear to be stuck, even if only for a few years.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                        I'm also not seeing any 300+ RPI teams in the AAC.

Edit: also, if it was just us and Memphis it would be about like the valley was with Creighton around. As long as there are two really good programs, I've got to think it's better than the status quo. And as a bonus there are some other good programs who appear to be stuck, even if only for a few years.
                        I agree. And if you check espn or any other sports site they always include the American as a power conference. The Valley may get included once in a while (probably only because of WSU) but most of the time the Valley is not included or is just part of "and the rest".

When the split comes in division 1 basketball, the American has a good chance to be on the right side of the split. The Valley has very little chance (unless some other teams really improve).

Comment

• We need to bring Cold back so I can read another essay on why we should go Independent.

Comment

• Being selfish and in all seriousness, I would love for Wichita State to be an 11 or 12th member of the NBE. Ialready miss not seeung the Shockers in Omaha, and I'm not all that excited about seeing DePaul, but I don't miss any of the other Valley crap.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                              We need to bring Cold back so I can read another essay on why we should go Independent.
                              I'd rather go libertarian
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Found this on the CBS piece somebody linked in another thread: Marshall mentioned he's in discussions with UConn about a possible home-and-home.

Not really realignment news but an exciting possibility with an AAC team. If Mohammed can't go to the mountain...or vice versa...
                                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Working...
                                X