American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    But where would Cincy, UConn, and Memphis go? None of the old BCS conferences want them. It's highly likely the Big 10 is done expanding after Maryland and Rutgers. Louisville may be the ACC's last addition for a long time, although I can make a case for West Virginia getting out of the Big 12 for the ACC. If that happens, I can maybe buy that Cincinnati may be attractive to the Big 12, but I highly doubt Memphis is (football is mediocre at best), and bringing this back to the subject of the AAC's attractiveness to WSU, losing Cincinnati wouldn't hurt the AAC's basketball reputation like losing UConn or Memphis would.
    I don't know that it's fair to say "None of the old BCS conferences want them". The ACC came down to Louisville and UConn. If the ACC expands again, UConn should be in. There also has been talk of the B1G grabbing UConn so Maryland and Rutgers would have a playmate.

Cincy has great basketball history. A couple of National Chamionships and gets to the Dance every year. They'd probably be in the B1G already if not for Ohio State. And the football at Cincy is certainly no worse than what is being played at Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern, albeit, in a smaller stadium. When the B12 decides to expand (and they will if they want to keep up with the B1G, SEC, ACC and P12), I expect they'll take a hard look at Cincy. Cincy gets the B12 another great basketball program and gets the B12 into a whole new market in a highly populated state. And as you said, if WVU gets out of the B12 (I think they will, but for the SEC when it expands to sixteen), that increases the possibility of Cincy getting into the B12. If the B12 requires Cincy to expand their stadium, they will. They can afford it.

Memphis is still the odd-man-out. No BCS conference for them. But they could easily get into the A10, which, with it's current membership, ranks higher in most RPI rankings than the AAC (warrennolin.com - A10#7, AAC#9; rpiforcast.com - A10#7, AAC#9; teamrankings.com - A10#5, AAC#6). Even if SLU leaves for the Big East, you put WSU and Memphis in there, that's a top five or six basketball conference. The only down side is travel sucks. A better option would be to pull Memphis from the AAC, SLU and Dayton from the A10 into the MVC. That's a top five or six conference. I know it's a ridiculous scenario; but just about any scenario is better than going to the AAC, and within a few seasons UConn, Cincy and Memphis jump to other conferences, and WSU is stuck in that dog because they cannot afford the $10,000,000.00 exit fee.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• No way Memphis, Dayton and St. Louis are joining the Valley. They would never even get an invite. Everybody but WSU would be scared of losing to many games.
      In the fast lane

Comment

• What a complete revolting development this is.

Comment

• I hope our success parlays into something big, that will allow us to move. If for nothing else then a refreshing change of face (and pace). Hell, it work for both Butler and VCU. Why not us?
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
            I hope our success parlays into something big, that will allow us to move. If for nothing else then a refreshing change of face (and pace). Hell, it work for both Butler and VCU. Why not us?
            their location was huge.

I am sure leagues would love to have us, its just not feasible.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• We may be overlooking the distinct possibility of both the two Florida schools (Central and South Florida) vastly improving their BB programs. It hasn't been that many years ago that they upgraded to Div 1 in football. After getting their butts beat for years they have now turned the corner. No reason, they will not acheive the same improvement in BB. The potential is certainly there. Much more that what is even remotely possible in the Valley.

Plus, Florida, with its 20 million population (and no smart ass replies about the state being solely overwhelmed with the those of us who already having one foot in the grave) would open up to us a huge new recruiting ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                We may be overlooking the distinct possibility of both the two Florida schools (Central and South Florida) vastly improving their BB programs. It hasn't been that many years ago that they upgraded to Div 1 in football. After getting their butts beat for years they have now turned the corner. No reason, they will not acheive the same improvement in BB. The potential is certainly there. Much more that what is even remotely possible in the Valley.

Plus, Florida, with its 20 million population (and no smart ass replies about the state being solely overwhelmed with the those of us who already having one foot in the grave) would open up to us a huge new recruiting ground.
                Agreed. Plus if you are good enough, size of city won't matter. Many good college programs come from small college towns.

If you are good, people will take interest.
                The Assman

Comment

• Miami and Orlando are not small college towns.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                    I hope our success parlays into something big, that will allow us to move. If for nothing else then a refreshing change of face (and pace). Hell, it work for both Butler and VCU. Why not us?
                    Butler is currently 0-4 in the big east. After this year, CU may not get near the door to the dance for awhile. But you are right about VCU. They are a good example, being more similar to WSU than BU or CU.

Comment

Miami and Orlando are not small college towns.
                      South Florida is in Tampa, not Miami.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

Miami and Orlando are not small college towns.
                        I was not talking about UCF and USF exclusively, but I think you knew that.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Pinellas is huge

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            Butler is currently 0-4 in the big east. After this year, CU may not get near the door to the dance for awhile. But you are right about VCU. They are a good example, being more similar to WSU than BU or CU.
                            Butler lost it's limelight, when Stevens left for the NBA. I am almost certian they wouldn't be 0-4 if Boy Wonder was still strolling the bench.
                            The Assman

Comment

• For more reading regarding WSU realignment, go to Phognet.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

• Dayton, St Loo, WSU, Memphis, WKU, ORU, Belmont, SWMO, etc

Comment

Working...
                                X