American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
    Agree. Perhaps when it's all said and done, Memphis will have to rejoin the MVC. :highly_amused:
    At the present time, I can not think of anything more humiliating in college sports, than having departed the Valley in years past to later having to admit defeat and re-join it.

Hara-Kari would at least be the honorable way out.

Comment

• I hesitate to drag this "basketball" topic even further off track, but in case no one has pointed it out yet, WSU played in a bowl game that still exists, the Sun Bowl. That was following the 1961 season, at a point when you actually had to accomplish something to get into a bowl game rather than just surviving at .500 or above.

The MVC champion Shocks lost to Villanova 17-9 and obviously never recovered from the shock, so to speak -- that day they were the Shockees rather than the Shockers -- of losing to a basketball school, because that was the end of the bowl line for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
        I don't see how you can say the MVC is better than the WCC...having Gonzaga, BYU, Saint Mary's, and Pacific gives them a better top half of the conference...and saying "our bottom teams are better than yours" isn't saying much.

Going up against ACC, B1G, AAC, Big East, Big 12, Pac 12, MWC, SEC, A-10, WCC, CUSA...I don't see how the MVC could hope to crack the top 10 without Creighton.
        Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
        I would give CUSA the edge, yes...after WSU the valley looks like hot garbage IMHO.

I actually think not having Memphis there to beat up everyone and take the NCAA auto bid every year will be a good think for CUSA...UTEP, UAB, Southern Miss, ODU, Charlotte, MTSU...good parity there.

WSU can do better than the Valley.
        I know I should leave this alone, but just for the record, here are the last ten seasons RPI's (according to www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/overall-power-ranking-by-team).

SEASON MVC RPI CUSA RPI WCC RPI TOP MVC RPI TEAM TOP CUSA RPI TEAM TOP WCC RPI TEAM
        2012-13 8 11 10 WSU MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2011-12 9 10 11 WSU MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2010-11 11 8 14 WSU MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2009-10 7 11 14 UNI UTEP ST. MARYS
        2008-09 9 10 15 CRETIN MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2007-08 8 10 15 DRAKE MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2006-07 6 11 15 SIU MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2005-06 6 14 12 WSU MEMPHIS GONZAGA
        2004-05 8 9 7 SIU LOUISVILLE GONZAGA
        2003-04 7 2 31 SIU CINCINNATI GONZAGA

Thanks for saying "WSU can do better than the Valley", but obviously there is much more parity in the MVC than in CUSA or the WCC. Memphis and Gonzaga are the cocks of the walk in their respective conferences. But in the MVC, neither Cretin or even WSU have ruled the roost. In spite of that fact, eight out of the last ten seasons the MVC had a better RPI than CUSA, and nine out of ten seasons a better RPI than the WCC. By the way, there was no particular reason for looking at just the last ten seasons other than I just didn't feel like going back any further.

Regarding wins and losses, I only looked at the last two seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13), and only between the MVC and CUSA. The MVC went 12 and 3 against CUSA. Again, no reason for only looking at the last two seasons other than I was tired of looking.

I don't think the MVC has to worry about staying in the top ten or remaining better than CUSA or the WCC. And even without the Cretins, the MVC may end-up out pacing the A-10 after the teams they've lost. But I guess only time will tell.

Good luck in the AAC. It looks like a good basketball conference at the top. If you can keep it together.
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

I know I should leave this alone, but just for the record, here are the last ten seasons RPI's (according to www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/overall-power-ranking-by-team).

SEASON MVC RPI CUSA RPI WCC RPI TOP MVC RPI TEAM TOP CUSA RPI TEAM TOP WCC RPI TEAM

Thanks for saying "WSU can do better than the Valley", but obviously there is much more parity in the MVC than in CUSA or the WCC. Memphis and Gonzaga are the cocks of the walk in their respective conferences. But in the MVC, neither Cretin or even WSU have ruled the roost. In spite of that fact, eight out of the last ten seasons the MVC had a better RPI than CUSA, and nine out of ten seasons a better RPI than the WCC. By the way, there was no particular reason for looking at just the last ten seasons other than I just didn't feel like going back any further.

Regarding wins and losses, I only looked at the last two seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13), and only between the MVC and CUSA. The MVC went 12 and 3 against CUSA. Again, no reason for only looking at the last two seasons other than I was tired of looking.

I don't think the MVC has to worry about staying in the top ten or remaining better than CUSA or the WCC. And even without the Cretins, the MVC may end-up out pacing the A-10 after the teams they've lost. But I guess only time will tell.

Good luck in the AAC. It looks like a good basketball conference at the top. If you can keep it together.
          What effect would removing Cretin have on this 12-3 record?
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Man, Creighton has been dominating the Valley by the looks of this chart.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              What effect would removing Cretin have on this 12-3 record?
              Cretin went 4-0.

2011-12
              Cretin 70-60 UAB
              Cretin 83-64 Tulsa

2012-13
              Cretin 77-60 UAB
              Cretin 71-54 Tulsa
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• I decided to take it a step further:

1. I took all of the teams that will be in the MVC, CUSA, and WCC once planned realignment is done (starting in 2014 with the move of final CUSA teams to the AAC).
                2. I looked up the final RPIs for each of these teams for each of the last 5 years.
                3. I averaged the RPIs of each conference for each year and on a rolling basis.

Here are the results for each year (Best in Blue; Worst in Red):

2012-13 2011-12 2010-11 2009-10 2008-09
                MVC 129.4 157.3 149.1 121.1 140.7
                CUSA 163.5 144.1 146.4 137.9 158.1
                WCC 123.8 165.1 144.4 144.3 147.4

Here are the rolling averages (Best in Blue; Worst in Red):

Last Year Last 2 Years Last 3 Years Last 4 Years Last 5 Years
                MVC 129.4 143.4 145.3 139.2 139.5
                CUSA 163.5 153.8 151.3 148.0 150.0
                WCC 123.8 144.5 144.4 144.4 145.0
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• And that's even with the addition of Loyola who only recently decided athletics is important? Their RPI is definitely going to improve in the near future.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    And that's even with the addition of Loyola who only recently decided athletics is important? Their RPI is definitely going to improve in the near future.
                    Yes. That's with Loyola and without Creighton.

In addition, for the WCC, that includes the final 3 Jimmer Fredette years of BYU, which are not necessarily likely to be representative of BYU's usual strength moving to the WCC (not that they won't be good, just that they may not average having 1 top 10 RPI year every 5 years as the last 5 years would suggest, or 1 every 3 years as the last 3 would suggest).
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Borrowing Hatter's data (thanks, Hatter) and concept, I wanted to look at the three conferences comparing the top-3 teams, bottom-3 teams and middle group of teams (remaining 3 or 8). I only did the year-by-year average.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        Borrowing Hatter's data (thanks, Hatter) and concept, I wanted to look at the three conferences comparing the top-3 teams, bottom-3 teams and middle group of teams (remaining 3 or 8). I only did the year-by-year average.

I think the data from the bottom three teams demonstrates why the MVC has been looked over in recent years. The bottom of the Valley has been so strong that it is detrimental to the success of the top teams in way of NCAA bids and seeding.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          I think the data from the bottom three teams demonstrates why the MVC has been looked over in recent years. The bottom of the Valley has been so strong that it is detrimental to the success of the top teams in way of NCAA bids and seeding.
                          Clearly the fact that MVC teams beat up on each other is a detriment to the top teams being recognized, in my opinion, properly. The bottom teams maybe receive "improved" ranking because of the top teams, but the top teams get "supressed" rankings because of the bottom teams being ranked higher.

Comment

• I disagree with you guys here. The top three teams aren't losing to the bottom three enough to make up for 10 to 20 spots. The problem is that the number 3 team in the Valley has been pretty average the last few years.

Comment

• Here is an actual realignment article. Not breaking news, just opinion, but still interesting.

In summary, the hypothesis is that a major conference break-off at the FBS football level would probably be better for pure basketball conferences than the Group of Five conferences with low-level FBS football. The key is the idea that the larger schools would make paying players a key point (for legal reasons, it would actually create money by selling player likenesses for merchandising and video games), and that the Group of Five conferences wouldn't be able to afford paying 85 football players, 15 basketball players, and the matching payments for women.

Meanwhile, the lower level basketball conferences would only need to match the payments for basketball. Without additional schools, it would be impossible to create a good college basketball tournaments, a huge loss in revenue. Also, consider that each FBS school added would divide the pot and reduce the payout for the Power 5.

Therefore, the article suggests that conferences like the new Big East and MVC would be more likely additions than the MWC or AAC. He also goes on to mention that a ten conference break away could create a clean regional match for each Power 5 conference:

B1G / Big East
                              ACC / A-10
                              Big 12 / MVC
                              Pac 12 / WCC
                              SEC / CAA (or something else)

The one that doesn't work is the CAA. I think the better addition would be a new conference with teams from a variety of conferences (Memphis, Davidson, Belmont, CofCharleston, and other more basketball centered schools throughout the SE).

Anyway, wanted to bring it to the discussion table. I think the author makes rational points, but I still think that it is more likely that the G5 conferences will tag along than basketball conferences like the MVC.

Comment

• Additionally, I think from a basketball standpoint this would probably help the MVC. We're a lot less likely to get squeezed out in basketball than the auto-bid bottom leagues. If they could find a way to squeeze out the teams currently sitting in the 13-16 seed range, that would be up to an additional 16 tournament spots MVC teams would be up for.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X