No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also find it funny because it's the BcS schools that have forced the growth in number of DI football programs by growing to 14+ schools. That's forced the schools just below them to grab teams and grow to protect themselves which has filtered down. So their whining about having to share with more teams doesn't go over well in my opinion when they brought it all on themselves.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      To be more specific, my interpretation of "it's too easy to become Division I" was that, too many schools are jumping from FCS to FBS and taking a piece of the pie, all of which belongs to us. ("Us" being the power-conferences).

I realize it's not that easy to become an FBS program, but we know football is the driver in all of this, so I simply don't believe he was talking about basketball (which I agree is too easy to become Division I). To summarize, he's being disingenuous, IMO.
      I thought Bowlsby made a fair point about the BCS schools being constantly outvoted on issues by the smaller schools. There is a breaking point. It isn't unlike Evansville and Indiana State outvoting WSU all of the time in the MVC. Have nearly 350 Division 1 programs is too much.

I can't see an NCAA basketball tournament with just the BCSish schools. I think the ratings would plummet.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        http://m.omaha.com/om/db_90923/conte...tguid=OfuIYSLa

Shatel in Omaha stutters about the big boys plans.
        You beat me too it. I was going to post this. I am sure going to miss shatels comments about the valley.

Comment

• Going to the AAC would be a great move, as long as it remains stable. I think football will destroy the AAC just like it did the original CUSA, and it's offshoot, The Big East. I'm just not sure how long Cincy and UConn stick around. Once they leave, Temple bales, followed by Memphis. After that, what's left isn't so appealing.
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
            Going to the AAC would be a great move, as long as it remains stable. I think football will destroy the AAC just like it did the original CUSA, and it's offshoot, The Big East. I'm just not sure how long Cincy and UConn stick around. Once they leave, Temple bales, followed by Memphis. After that, what's left isn't so appealing.
            You assume Memphis will have options. I could see UConn and Cinci moving at some point and potentially Temple if things go right for them, but Memphis would be tough. Someone would have to overlook their horrid football program and think their basketball program would make up for taking it on. Remember, when the XII was on the brink, some thought KU would be left out but others thought their basketball could save them. Memphis is no KU in basketball.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Agree. Perhaps when it's all said and done, Memphis will have to rejoin the MVC. :highly_amused:
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• If a separate governance agreement could be subject to anti-trust lawsuits, perhaps the subdivision will include a membership threshold that any school can meet assuming they are willing to spend the necessary money for inclusion. In that case, the American, the Mountain West and others might have a chance to join, and the big schools still get what they want – the ability to spend their money as they choose.
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  You assume Memphis will have options. I could see UConn and Cinci moving at some point and potentially Temple if things go right for them, but Memphis would be tough. Someone would have to overlook their horrid football program and think their basketball program would make up for taking it on. Remember, when the XII was on the brink, some thought KU would be left out but others thought their basketball could save them. Memphis is no KU in basketball.
                  Horrid football programs don't make 5 bowl games in 6 seasons...we were good enough for the AAC...which is more than I can currently say for WSU.

We're not the ones who got "left behind"

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                    Horrid football programs don't make 5 bowl games in 6 seasons...we were good enough for the AAC...which is more than I can currently say for WSU.

I was poking around and am I right that Memphis doesn't have a single team NCAA championship in any sport? Am I also right that the only individual NCAA championship at Memphis was by Beth Tidmore in air rifle?

I guess I can stomach being "left behind" a little better if it is true that in the crummy MVC we've managed more team national champions, more individual national champions, and more Final Four appearances than the school that was "good enough for the AAC."
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post

Making a bowl game is not an accomplishment. Especially when you're playing the trash schedules you had in Conference USA. You won four games last year -- of those four teams you beat, one of those didn't win a SINGLE game, another won two, another won three, and one whole team was bowl eligible.

The year before that you won two games. Of those, one was a bad FCS team, the other had two wins.

The year before that you won one game. ONE.

The year before that you won TWO. An FCS team and a four win team.

You're seriously bragging about a run of 5 bowls in six seasons that ended in 2008? Of which only three of those six seasons had winning records?

Non-horrible programs don't go 9-39 in four seasons. And one (ONE) win over a team that played in a bowl over that time frame.

As for not being good enough for the AAC ... really, that's your argument? Guy that's on here because he wants us in the AAC? Idiot.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Which one of the 40 lousy bowls did you play in? Making a bowl is not an accomplishment unless it's one of the top 10 or so. But I do enjoy that you didn't disagree with any of my reasoning behind why Memphis would get left behind in the AAC compared to the others.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• <

Comment

• >
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• ^
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• v

Comment

Working...
                                X