American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    I keep forgetting about this thread. Basically same discussion as the Realignment thread. Not a fan.
    The purpose of this thread is specific to the AAC rather than general realignment. Not a fan? Don't read or comment. My reply is not to seem flipped.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
      I wonder how Jank feels about us moving into his conference? He ran away from the conference because of the beat downs Gregg was starting to put on him.

All jokes aside, I am stoked for this. Actually expecting our conference brethren to win games in the non-con, playing likely NCAA tourney teams in conference, and rooting for our conference opponents to do damage in the tourney. Hopefully, we prove our worth and the AAC lives up to the bill. THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!
      Another connection to between WSU and SMU is Jank's #1 assistant KT Turner. I haven't seen him mentioned on here yet, but I hope we can keep him for a while.

Comment

• I cannot wait to schedule my Greenville,NC trip every year. Maybe even make it out to Memphis. For a Shox fan living in NC this is a dream come true.

Comment

• Do we think football at WSU is dead if we get a positive vote from the AAC tomorrow? Just not sure what has happened to that push and how it relates to a new conference--if it relates at all...I've found this issue confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
            Do we think football at WSU is dead if we get a positive vote from the AAC tomorrow? Just not sure what has happened to that push and how it relates to a new conference--if it relates at all...I've found this issue confusing.
            I believe the football feeler was really a new conference feeler. How do we offer the best environment for WSU athletics? By keeping a world class basketball program. AAC shores that up without the added risk of football.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Do we think football at WSU is dead if we get a positive vote from the AAC tomorrow? Just not sure what has happened to that push and how it relates to a new conference--if it relates at all...I've found this issue confusing.

Comment

Dr. Bardo would like to have football. Until he comes out and says it's not going to happen don't dig a grave. I don't think this move will stop him if he thinks he has the private $$$ necessary. The Innovation Campus and AAC move should suggest that we not underestimate him.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Call me crazy, but WSU can still put together a football program, and it will get easier if you are already in the AAC. In my opinion, the fact that the AAC membership may be a fluid thing may actually lend itself toward WSU pulling the trigger on it. Example: we play basketball in the AAC for a few years and it goes as well as we hope. WSU's profile continues to grow, and then somewhere along the way, UCONN makes plans to leave. AAC can either bring in a new program to replace them or WSU can have a plan in the works. You never know...

To me, it was never very likely to convince WSU to want to start an FCS program and play in the MVFC...even though that would have been at least kinda fun if it worked. But if you are in a strong FBS, but not quite P5 football conference, I see a guy like Bardo getting a lot more interested in having some real conversations with the AAC about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    Dr. Bardo would like to have football. Until he comes out and says it's not going to happen don't dig a grave. I don't think this move will stop him if he thinks he has the private $$$ necessary. The Innovation Campus and AAC move should suggest that we not underestimate him.
                    I mean honestly, how hard would it be to start a football program at the level of ku's at this point? Is that all we need to get the b12 invite? Better geographically, but pretty sure aac (like the mvc) would help us better prepare for the tourney

Comment

• Originally posted by Carolina_Shock View Post
                      I cannot wait to schedule my Greenville,NC trip every year. Maybe even make it out to Memphis. For a Shox fan living in NC this is a dream come true.
                      I still can't get over how much better the road schedule will be. I'll be honest, I've not traveled to a lot of MVC road games over the years because there is simply very little drawing me to those towns other than the game itself. But in the AAC, every last school...literally ALL of them are in places I would take real family vacations to for reasons other than just the basketball game. It will get a lot more interesting to be traveling for road games.

We even gain two legitimate potential rivalry games that Shocker fans can travel to for very little money. Tulsa, and SMU. Both are closer than anything we've been doing in the MVC. If you contrast Tulsa with Missouri State, it's closer. If you contrast SMU with Drake, it's closer.

Comment

• IMO SMU is an easier drive than Springfield. Shame we don't still have southwest flights to Dallas.

Comment

• I was 100% sure this was happening.

Then Sandra lost Survivor tonight.

Now I'm 99.9%.

Comment

• The 18-game basketball schedule and the matchups making up that schedule will be determined by ESPN. That's why there are no "divisions" in basketball. Conferences are allowed by the NCAA (and forced by their TV contracts) to schedule the games the TV guys want to put on the tube.

WSU should get some good in-conference h/h games. UConn fans can gripe about having to send their team to a cow pasture to get beat - and they will.

Just like the attendance at road games peaking for the Shox visit, the viewership of AAC games could get a nice bump for WSU games. Between the national brand WSU has achieved and the novelty of the "new" team, I think WSU will help the AAC's ratings.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop View Post
                              I mean honestly, how hard would it be to start a football program at the level of ku's at this point? Is that all we need to get the b12 invite? Better geographically, but pretty sure aac (like the mvc) would help us better prepare for the tourney
                              Not hard at all. Just have someone write a check for $40 mill. Of course, even with that, the games would still be in Cessna. Then there's the $3 - $4 mill in operating deficits that program would face each year. Then there's the 3 - 5 years that program would have to play as an FCS school before being eligibile for FBS status.

And that's just to get a program at the level of KU's after 3 - 5 years.

Still interested?
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGirl View Post
                                I was 100% sure this was happening.

Then Sandra lost Survivor tonight.

Now I'm 99.9%.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X