American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    I researched the past AAC scheduling to see how it was determined, didn't find much direction, but in case anyone would like to know some of the info is below. I've put the important quotes above the articles. I'm still expecting division play so I doubt it would be exactly the same as it was with 11.

2014-2015 schedule:

"We are very pleased with the schedule format we have put together for the 2014-15 season," said AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco at The American's annual meetings. "We took into consideration rivalries, marquee match-ups and geographical and travel considerations. The move of our Championship to a Thursday-Sunday format offers our traveling fans more convenience while affording us significantly better coverage on ESPN platforms and a championship window that has historically produced better ratings."

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

March 2015 article:

"The conference slate consists of 18 games. With AAC Men's Basketball membership at 11, the current set up is that a team plays 8 opponents twice, and two other teams just once. I do not believe there is currently any rhyme or reason to which two teams you only play once. Last year UConn's one-time opponents were Houston and UCF."

Right, wrong or indifferent, the NCAA Selection Committee places a heavy emphasis on RPI. The AAC desperately needs to find a way to help its teams improve on this key metric. We may have a solution.

2016-2017 schedule (just for reference):

The American Athletic Conference has announced the 2016-17 men's basketball conference pairings and the dates for the 2017 championship. The 2017 championship will be played March 10-13, 2017 (Thursday to Sunday) at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut, as previously announced.

Edit- I can't seem to get that one link to work.
    All links are good now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

OTOH if the AAC does doe a divisional setup for basketball I am not sure it follows that there is equivalence with the MAC and OVC other than all these leagues have 12 basketball teams and play a divisional setup.
      No major conference has divisions. The A-10, C-USA and the SEC all used to have divisions and went away from it (years ago), and it's not an accident, either. Don't expect the AAC to split into divisions.

Comment

• Divisions make little sense in basketball because you have no regular-season champion, per se, and there is no need for a playoff to determine a champion because you have the tournament that determines the auto-entry into the NCAA tournament.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Muskie View Post
          No major conference has divisions. The A-10, C-USA and the SEC all used to have divisions and went away from it (years ago), and it's not an accident, either. Don't expect the AAC to split into divisions.
          My only expectation is that the AAC will do what they think is in their own best interest. If that means divisions then we will have divisions. If it means somehting else will have that. Not sure it will have much to do with what other conferences feel is best for them although they might decide to model after other conferences. Doesn't much matter really, If they don't like whatever they start with they can change it.

All the conferences mentioned so far are 14-team conferences. Whether or not having 12-teams that are very spread geographically vs the 14 teams conferences like the Big 10, SEC, A-10 and C-USA is hard to say. The two conferences mentioned that do have a divisional setup are the MAC and OVC which are 12-team conferences although to my knowledge not as spread out as the AAC.

I think we would like to think that travel costs and travel time or not an issue but I think they are on the list somewhere.

Like most things in sports this will probably be dictated by the desires of their TV and media partners. If those guys want UConn vs WSU twice a year in the regular season I would expect that to happen. This seems to me to be the most likely reason for not using divisions. Keeping the greatest flexibility to be able to perhaps manage TV ratings. No doubt that is a very good reason.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 5, 2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Makes me optimistic we'll see UCONN, Cinci, Temple, SMU, Houston, Memphis, and Tulsa twice a year (more often than not) and the lesser opponents (unless they step up like UCF tried this season) only once a year.
            The Assman

Comment

• Most AAC fans want scheduling that focuses on creating the best match-ups. Whether that involves using previous years' RPI, conference standings, etc...

Comment

• Get sanding, CKA maintenance staff!!
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                  So, pardon my ignorance, but with a 12-team conference, would we still have a double round-robin? Or would it be abbreviated to keep the same number of conference games?
                  It isn't a double round robin even now, Hockey -- last season with 11 teams they only played 18 games, not 20. And they certainly wouldn't expand beyond that to accommodate a new team. To me, east-west divisions with a home and home inside the division and one game a year with each of the others, alternating home vs. away from one season to the next, makes the most sense -- but that's only 16 league games.

So if they decide to stick with 18, which seems more plausible because it requires less scheduling dislocation, then they just have to figure out how to pick which seven teams you play home and home and which four you play once a year (again, presumably alternating home vs. away from one year to the next).

Meanwhile, Phi -- no need to panic about the turnover at Connecticut and Memphis. Neither one is going to turn into Drake any time soon, even if they may have a bit of recovering to do. They're big-name programs with plenty of resources, and they'll figure it out sooner rather than later.

Comment

• We could be starting a movement.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                      Gonzaga wishing they were in a better conference now too? I'm stoked about being in the AAC, but if the Big East ever decided to go to 16, maybe Creighton could really push to get us there. St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Dayton, VCU, WSU and St. Louis. Pretty much a dream.

Comment

• Can you give a day to set our countdown!?! Some time this week they will vote.

Find all the latest college basketball news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wurdaddy View Post
                          Can you give a day to set our countdown!?! Some time this week they will vote.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...ion-this-week/
                          They are voting Friday
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                            Gonzaga wishing they were in a better conference now too? I'm stoked about being in the AAC, but if the Big East ever decided to go to 16, maybe Creighton could really push to get us there. St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Dayton, VCU, WSU and St. Louis. Pretty much a dream.
                            I would love to see Gonzaga get into a better conference, but they are just so far away from anyone. They would need to somehow get better teams into the WCC, I think. I mean, it would be great if they could play in the Big East, but it just seems silly geographically.

Again, I'd love to see a big realignment of the smaller conferences. I'd like to see the MVC figure out how to poach the Summit and Horizon, which if done well, could create some separation and put the A10, MWC, MVC and WCC at the top of the mid major conferences.

The WCC brought in BYU last year, and that made a huge difference. There's more where that came from. WCC can go try to grab up New Mexico State, Grand Canyon (out of the WAC) and maybe even Denver (out of the Summit).

Comment

• "Done Deal"
                              Mark Adams

Comment

• "Wichita St. will be a tremendous addition to @American_Conf IMO. Gregg Marshall's program will benefit from a much improved TV pkg."

"Absolutely. They are waking up the echoes of the Gene Stephenson program I followed while calling the CWS' in the 80's and 90's. Tradition!"

Comment

Working...
                                X