No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't we have a poll or a friendly bet of some kind about who we think the MVC will add if this thing goes through?

I'm thinking they pull the trigger on the MVFC schools idea. 12 teams... NDSU, SDSU, USD

Who am I kidding? They will add UMKC.

If the Summit league has any fans, I would think they'd be pretty nervous.

Also does it bother anyone else as much as it bothers me that almost zero MVC schools are actually in the Missouri River Valley geographically? That's one big reason to add the Dakotas.
    Last edited by Dave Stalwart; April 1, 2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      Shouldn't we have a poll or a friendly bet of some kind about who we think the MVC will add if this thing goes through?

I'm thinking they pull the trigger on the MVFC schools idea. 12 teams... NDSU, SDSU, USD

Who am I kidding? They will add UMKC.

If the Summit league has any fans, I would think they'd be pretty nervous.

Also does it bother anyone else as much as it bothers me that almost zero MVC schools are actually in the Missouri River Valley geographically? That's one big reason to add the Dakotas.
      I hope for the Valley's sake, they do go with the Dakota's/12-team idea. UMKC does sound like an Elgin type move though.
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        More details from Paul Suellentrop this afternoon http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...142152734.html
        Paul also said the day after the championship game would be a prime time to make the announcement. Perhaps with the AAC commish in Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
          I hope for the Valley's sake, they do go with the Dakota's/12-team idea. UMKC does sound like an Elgin type move though.
          UMKC is way too far from Illinois to be an Elgin move.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
            Maybe I've got it backwards. Instead of adding the schools you should obviously add (some grouping of UNO, SDSU, NDSU, USD or Valpo) he will instead choose to add Western Illinois and Youngstown State because....Illinois...

I kinda think the best move is to actually go with strength in numbers while you still can. The MVC is still regarded above the Summit and Horizon for now, but depending on how this shakes down, the MVC may not be for long. Why not raid both of those conferences and expand to 16 teams and forget about the 10 team mold? If you did 16, you could take all of the MVFC teams (NDSU, SDSU, USD, Youngstown St and Western Illinois), which puts you at 14 and then you use your last two spots for UNO and Valpo.

If that's what the MVC does, it could actually remain one of the top conferences. A move like that would decimate the Horizon and the Summit, which are generally nipping at the heels of the MVC most years. If you are thinking like a shark, that is a great move to make if you want a future. I'm speaking as someone who likes the Valley in general and I think that conference would have a chance. It will be really interesting to me to see what they do. The status quo isn't going to work anymore without CU and WSU. Time to get creative, Valley admins...
            Last edited by Dave Stalwart; April 1, 2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              Maybe I've got it backwards. Instead of adding the schools you should obviously add (some grouping of UNO, SDSU, NDSU, USD or Valpo) he will instead choose to add Western Illinois and Youngstown State because....Illinois...

I kinda think the best move is to actually go with strength in numbers while you still can. The MVC is still regarded above the Summit and Horizon for now, but depending on how this shakes down, the MVC may not be for long. Why not raid both of those conferences and expand to 16 teams and forget about the 10 team mold? If you did 16, you could take all of the MVFC teams (NDSU, SDSU, USD, Youngstown St and Western Illinois), which puts you at 14 and then you use your last two spots for UNO and Valpo.

If that's what the MVC does, it could actually remain one of the top conferences. A move like that would decimate the Horizon and the Summit, which are generally nipping at the heels of the MVC most years. If you are thinking like a shark, that is a great move to make if you want a future.
              Lots of talk on the Dakota boards, and in their media, that a move by SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND is a waste of time at this point, regarding both the current status and trend line for the future of the Summit as contrasted with the MVC. As in, the day of moving to the MVC has passed.

I struggle to see how the future of the MVC sans WSU is even status quo; I think the nose is pointed downward. The decently-supported schools, knowing that a one-bid basketball league is just a nominal commodity, will start looking at G5 FCS landing spots - MAC, Sun Belt, etc. The leftovers are looking at low major status, possibly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Lots of talk on the Dakota boards, and in their media, that a move by SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND is a waste of time at this point, regarding both the current status and trend line for the future of the Summit as contrasted with the MVC. As in, the day of moving to the MVC has passed.

I struggle to see how the future of the MVC sans WSU is even status quo; I think the nose is pointed downward.
                Unfortunately, I think they would be right. The trajectory of the Summit is every bit as good as the MVC if we are gone. That's why I think it would be a good move to try to swing something like adding them all while you still can. But maybe it's already too late. Should have done it when CU left. Adding Loyola instead of the MVFC when CU left may be the thing that actually kills the MVC.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                  More details from Paul Suellentrop this afternoon http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...142152734.html
                  This just sounds more and more done every day.

Comment

• How much longer until ScottTrade says "Thanks, but no thanks" to the Valley?
                    The Assman

Comment

• In a strange twist of "too late" fate, I can see the MVC adding a western school and moving the tournament to KC with WSU and CU out of the barn.

Classic Valley in a way but in reality they will not do anything more than an easy bus ride from Illinois. Out goes Wichita, in comes UIC.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I wonder what "level" Turgeon thinks the AAC is at? Asking for a friend. :)
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
                          He's going to get out a map, find the geographic center of the remaining teams, pinpoint the closest town to that and invite the highest level school that's there. Doesn't matter if it's a high school.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                            In a strange twist of "too late" fate, I can see the MVC adding a western school and moving the tournament to KC with WSU and CU out of the barn.

Classic Valley in a way but in reality they will not do anything more than an easy bus ride from Illinois. Out goes Wichita, in comes UIC.
                            In reality, you think they'll look for a smaller venue? Municipal Auditorium in KC will be big enough now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              In reality, you think they'll look for a smaller venue? Municipal Auditorium in KC will be big enough now.
                              Hartman Arena would be a perfect fit :)
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                                The AAC has scheduling models already for a 12 team league? Interesting. Like they've been considering/planning for a while. Makes sense. Im sure they have considered this move fromnevery conceivable angle. It would only be prudent.
                                Being in a conference that actually plans ahead for success by anticipating contingencies. That will take some getting used to. :)
                                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                                X