American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    That's not the scenario I see coming. I believe the P5 (orP4) will try to completely separate from the rest of D1. I used the FCS example because there isn't an example for what I believe is coming. If the P4 or 5 want to make a break, then the goal would be to stay in the same group with them. The BE has pretty much got a spot at the table in basketball. The AAC doesn't have that locked up.
    The P5 might want to do that, but they know there is no way they can do that without killing their cash cow, the NCAA tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      The Big East will force its way in by being competitive. The P5 can't claim superior product if the third best conference is in a separate division. The Big East would attract like minded schools to form new conferences and compete. If they want the big money to themselves, they will have to bring the competitive conferences along. The cut will be 5-10 total.
      I'm not exactly sure that I follow your thought but we may agree. If they allow the Big East, there is a good chance that the AAC with a few nice upgrades are allowed too. The AAC isn't far off from being a very attractive conference.

Comment

• It's a good thing we won today. The opposite result would have devastating!

Comment

• The addition of Wichita State alone, or with others, makes the AAC a very attractive conference.

Comment

• Perhaps comments like this listing reasons why the Mountain West needs to invite WSU to join, will kick start the AAC into action sooner than planned.

"Thompson needs to get on the phone with Wichita State and see what deal he can make with the Shockers because getting this type of program to join the Mountain West could be the kick starter the league needs to move back into the national spotlight."

Comment

• Basketball and football might not follow the same patterns. The P4 or 5 can probably separate themselves from the rest in football.

As someone pointed out, if it's just the P4 or 5 in basketball, the NCAA tourney loses some appeal. That's where a few other conferences are needed. Conferences outside the P4 or 5 would be doing the right thing by making their conferences as strong as possible in basketball to get some TV revenue and maximize the teams they get into the tourney.

The ship has probably sailed for non-P4 or 5 FB schools staying at the highest levels in football. The best they can hope for is to get some bowl games against teams in the P4 or 5 and get something out of TV revenues.

I think there's going to be some efforts and pressure to avoid the same thing happening in basketball. If WSU, VCU, and Dayton went to the AAC, I think it gets pretty easy to see the logical spot fro drawing a dividing line in basketball. The MWC isn't in safe territory in that landscape.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Agreed. MWC is significantly or close to significantly inferior to the AAC.

Comment

• Interesting read illustrating the view held by MVC media of the Missouri Valley Conference and WSU's desire to leave.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170304/wessler-missouri-valley-teeters-on-verge-of-ugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                    Interesting read illustrating the view held by MVC media of the Missouri Valley Conference and WSU's desire to leave.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170304/wessler-missouri-valley-teeters-on-verge-of-ugh
                    Not a single thing in that article is wrong.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• If 3G is truly fed up with the MVC, I can see this happening rather quickly. Each year we go thru the rumor mill of his heading to a power conference and I think a move to the AAC would put to bed permanently his moving on and remaining a shocker for the rest of his career. We came thru with the money to keep him here, why not a desirable conference as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                        Interesting read illustrating the view held by MVC media of the Missouri Valley Conference and WSU's desire to leave.

Interesting that the sports editor of one of the other Valley local papers say that the recent reports mean that "Wichita State, the Valley's premier program, is all but gone as a conference member".

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                          If 3G is truly fed up with the MVC, I can see this happening rather quickly. Each year we go thru the rumor mill of his heading to a power conference and I think a move to the AAC would put to bed permanently his moving on and remaining a shocker for the rest of his career. We came thru with the money to keep him here, why not a desirable conference as well?
                          Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought when he received his latest major bump in pay that one of the conditions was that WSU would activly pursue options of upgrading conferences? I feel if WSU can upgrade conferences, HCGM would be the coach at WSU til her retires(which might already be his plan).......
                          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
                            Interesting that the sports editor of one of the other Valley local papers say that the recent reports mean that "Wichita State, the Valley's premier program, is all but gone as a conference member".
                            His description of Elgin's behavior in St. Louis and in regard to this issue is pretty telling as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              His description of Elgin's behavior in St. Louis and in regard to this issue is pretty telling as well.
                              How depressing is the last line of that article? It's true. No wonder Elgin is blue. Something is definitely happening.

Comment

• I hope we make the announcement in our acceptance speech of the the arch madness trophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X