No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had an interesting conversation in the lobby with a business professor from Loyola who asked us about WSU leaving the MVC. He is totally frustrated with Porter Moser as a coach totally wasting talent that the team has. Does not relate to players other than his favorites. Said that a kid who tore his ACL hasn't talked to the head coach since the surgery folding the third game of the season, only the assistant coaches.

Made a very telling comment when discussing Moser's contract, which has one year remaining. That it probably will not get extended, leaving him as total lame duck. Said he didn't think he'd be fired because "he cannot visualize this administration paying somebody to sit at home and do nothing.

He says there are two or three very talent d fresh on the team that never get a chance to play, especially the guard from Croatia, which the professor know othe family on a personal basis. Also said next year they have two in-state recruits wat 6-1 and 6-8 who were top-rated in Illinois. Bottom line, Moser can recruit but then can't coach and players leave.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• We get nothing from our TV deal now. I don't think TV is going to hold this back. I would think WSU would be perfectly fine not receiving TV money till 2019, seeing as how that is exactly where we are now. Agree to take nothing till 2019 to make all the other schools happy and to expedite the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
        We get nothing from our TV deal now. I don't think TV is going to hold this back. I would think WSU would be perfectly fine not receiving TV money till 2019, seeing as how that is exactly where we are now. Agree to take nothing till 2019 to make all the other schools happy and to expedite the process.
        if we have to and that makes a difference then do it. But hold those cards until later in the hand.

Comment

• There has been speculation that basketball will do what football did and the lower D1 schools will end up in the basketball equivalent of FCS football.

The AAC might be borderline. Strengthening the basketball portion of the league is a move to become a more likely conference to end up in the upper group if there is a basketball split.

The AAC has a self-preservation interest in poaching the top-end programs outside the obvious power conferences. This could be why UConn is in favor of adding the Shox. It makes their future (if they stay in the AAC) more stable.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
            If the MVC and AAC both have TV deals with ESPN (I'm too lazy to look it up) - I think it could happen sooner than 2019. There could be some epic match ups with UConn, SMU, Memphis, Tulsa, and others - Every one of those would be a better TV game than anything the MVC has to offer.

Deals are renegotiated all of the time. We'll see.
            I'm amazed at the ratings we get sometimes with the games against some our Valley opponents. I think we're proving to be a program that is starting to generate a lot of interest outside of Wichita and Valley footprint. Big time matchups with schools like Cincy, SMU, UConn would be so much better. You might be right, may behoove all involved to get it done sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              There has been speculation that basketball will do what football did and the lower D1 schools will end up in the basketball equivalent of FCS football.

The AAC might be borderline.
              I've mentioned this before but half of the FBS is made up of non-P5 conferences. 10 conferences in FBS and 13 conferences in FCS including the non-scholarship Pioneer.

Their are 32 D-I basketball conferences. If basketball does what football did, there will be around 14-15 in the top division and 17-18 in the lower division. The AAC is no where close to borderline in that scenario. I do not think the "cut-line" would be fewer than 10-12. Again, the AAC is not borderline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                We get nothing from our TV deal now. I don't think TV is going to hold this back. I would think WSU would be perfectly fine not receiving TV money till 2019, seeing as how that is exactly where we are now. Agree to take nothing till 2019 to make all the other schools happy and to expedite the process.
                Travel costs would be a lot more than they are now though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  I've mentioned this before but half of the FBS is made up of non-P5 conferences. 10 conferences in FBS and 13 conferences in FCS including the non-scholarship Pioneer.

Their are 32 D-I basketball conferences. If basketball does what football did, there will be around 14-15 in the top division and 17-18 in the lower division. The AAC is no where close to borderline in that scenario. I do not think the "cut-line" would be fewer than 10-12. Again, the AAC is not borderline.
                  That's not the scenario I see coming. I believe the P5 (orP4) will try to completely separate from the rest of D1. I used the FCS example because there isn't an example for what I believe is coming. If the P4 or 5 want to make a break, then the goal would be to stay in the same group with them. The BE has pretty much got a spot at the table in basketball. The AAC doesn't have that locked up.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

That's not the scenario I see coming. I believe the P5 (orP4) will try to completely separate from the rest of D1. I used the FCS example because there isn't an example for what I believe is coming. If the P4 or 5 want to make a break, then the goal would be to stay in the same group with them. The BE has pretty much got a spot at the table in basketball. The AAC doesn't have that locked up.
                    I can absolutely see that happening

Comment

Maybe but if they staying in the P 4 or 5, why would they allow the Big East (basketball only) in? To me, that isn't consistent or logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        Maybe but if they staying in the P 4 or 5, why would they allow the Big East (basketball only) in? To me, that isn't consistent or logical.
                        The Big East will force its way in by being competitive. The P5 can't claim superior product if the third best conference is in a separate division. The Big East would attract like minded schools to form new conferences and compete. If they want the big money to themselves, they will have to bring the competitive conferences along. The cut will be 5-10 total.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Sorry if this should be on the conference alignment board, but it involved basketball so I figured why not Wichita State getting 'serious evaluation' to join American Athletic Conference VCU and Dayton were mentioned as well

Uconn fans really remind me of creighton fans.
                          Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                            https://the-boneyard.com/threads/wic...-steam.107849/

I wonder if they'll be able to snag the 1 seed for the CIT this year?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm 95% sure they think they're a private school.

When we join the AAC I'm only referring to them as Storrs Agricultural College.

Comment

It's not exclusively low-IQ posts over there. And I'd give them some leeway if it's their admin that's pushing for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X