No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew I could get JH4P & SF to agree.

I still think we had a very beatable team last year. The number one defense in the nation is going so win you a high number of games, but real competition will figure it out a handful of times.

The weakness of the MVC and our strong performance in late winter had a strong correlation.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      Doesn't playong in the Big East help boost an individual team's rating?
      KenPom doesn't work that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        You're crazy.
        Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        Aren't we all?
        I know I am...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

KenPom doesn't work that way.
          Not as ditectly as RPI, kenpom is efficiency ratings, but if you read his methodology, SOS is factored.

http://kenpom.com/blog/ratings-methodology-update/
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Not as ditectly as RPI, kenpom is efficiency ratings, but if you read his methodology, SOS is factored.

http://kenpom.com/blog/ratings-methodology-update/
            How could any ratings system not include some sort of reference to who you played?

The point is that you can play the #1 ranked team and still drop in the rankings if you do poorly. Playing in the Big East does not guarantee a good KenPom ranking. Playing in the MEAC does not guarantee a bad one.

Comment

How could any ratings system not include some sort of reference to who you played?

The point is that you can play the #1 ranked team and still drop in the rankings if you do poorly. Playing in the Big East does not guarantee a good KenPom ranking. Playing in the MEAC does not guarantee a bad one.
              Sure, no metrics are perfect and schedule affects them all, that is also why I can say that the 2014-15 team was that bad, because I watched them. Every home game. They could shoot the ball, they just didn't have foot speed, they couldn't defend, they didn't play together and they sure weren't great ballplayers. I saw more unforced errors on that team than I think I've ever seen. On three occasions that I remember, after a made shot, the inbounds pass was passed out of bounds, to no one, with no pressure.

I know everyone hates the eye test reference, but it has value. In 2014-15, Creighton failed the eye test, and everyone knew that before the season started. Creighton essentially lost everyone after 2013-14, if the 2014-15 team was any good at all, you would think at least one of those guys would be starting today, instead, Creighton has two solid backups, and an injured dude, none of which would start this year, two that didn't start last year.

They were Missouri State bad.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I know everyone hates the eye test reference, but it has value.. They were Missouri State bad.
                Missouri St was 1-16 vs the top 200 that year. Creighton was 9-18.

Creighton won 5 more D1 games than Missouri St (14 vs 9) despite a MUCH tougher schedule.

Your eyes must suck.
                Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; December 21, 2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

They could shoot the ball
                  That puts them out of Thursday in the Valley.

Comment

Sure, no metrics are perfect and schedule affects them all, that is also why I can say that the 2014-15 team was that bad, because I watched them. Every home game. They could shoot the ball, they just didn't have foot speed, they couldn't defend, they didn't play together and they sure weren't great ballplayers. I saw more unforced errors on that team than I think I've ever seen. On three occasions that I remember, after a made shot, the inbounds pass was passed out of bounds, to no one, with no pressure.

I know everyone hates the eye test reference, but it has value. In 2014-15, Creighton failed the eye test, and everyone knew that before the season started. Creighton essentially lost everyone after 2013-14, if the 2014-15 team was any good at all, you would think at least one of those guys would be starting today, instead, Creighton has two solid backups, and an injured dude, none of which would start this year, two that didn't start last year.

They were Missouri State bad.
                    I agree with you wholeheartedly MVJ, but you're never gonna convince the eye test to an analytical stat geek.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                      Your eyes must suck.
                      Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      you're never gonna convince the eye test to an analytical stat geek.
                      I thought I knew which one was who. Now I'm not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        I agree with you wholeheartedly MVJ, but you're never gonna convince the eye test to an analytical stat geek.
                        Analytical stat geeks had Hillary winning the election. Maybe analytics can be, um, cough, cough, flawed.

Comment

WSU's Final Four team lost to the last place MVC team that year.

Just stop it.
                          Exactly. A last place Valley team is capable of beating a final four team. That's all. Nothing to read into it. I"m not claiming the Valley is as good as the B10. Thanks for solidifing my point. We don't agree often do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Oh yeah, one more quick observation; Trying to convince a stat geek of the relevance of the eye test is like trying to convince a chicken fan "No. You are not really gaining on the Bruins. OK?" Or... like trying to convince a chicken fan "Yes. A Valley team really can beat the best team in the b12. Remember?"

Don't. Even. Waste. Your. Precious. Time.

Comment

Analytical stat geeks had Hillary winning the election. Maybe analytics can be, um, cough, cough, flawed.
                              lol. That's Fever level of intellectual dishonesty right there.

I mean, seriously, you are the guy who was still predicting a Hillary win at 9:00 pm election night after states had already started getting called and Trump had already become the favorite.
                              Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; December 22, 2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Stubborness level 10/10

Comment

Working...
                                X